Nix visits Bears

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Grizzblue, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    Biggs just reported via twitter.

Hope this is a smokescreen, seems like a real JA pick to me.
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,457 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    246ß
    Grizz, It could be, but I don't think it would be a JA pick, necessarily. IF the D scheme is a 4-3 UNDER then AND Allen came to play next to Ratliff, then the team has their RDE and DT MORE set then NT. Also the team has stated they wanted to play SOME 3-4, so they still need a 3-4 NT, Paea and Ratliff won't cut it there so why not go w/a guy that could play NT in a 4-3 and 3-4? It's actually a good backup plan for the team if the draft falls wrong, which is possible.
  3. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,423 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    583ß
    Well they can bring in 30 guys and at least some of them will be players who are just that. A smokescreen. Never hurts to window shop and kick the tires a bit to see what he's like in an interview. In many cases they do this for future reference. If four years from now Nix is still around and productive, we need a wide body NT, and he becomes a FA then they have some familiarity with him and an idea of whether or not he's got his shit together. Also to check out his injury status.

Of course they could also have just had him in to sample pizza and tell them whether he liked the traditional "cracker crust" or "deep dish" better. I'd shit if we drafted this kid. I don't want another lineman more concerned with whether it's Taco Tuesday or $1 Double Cheeseburger Thursday and to me this kid is the defensive equivalent of that goofy ass JWebb. He busted his ass to get down to 325lbs now but he's been 350lbs before and at that weight he'll be useless to most teams.
  4. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +989 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    22ß
    Smokescreen and a pretty poor one at that.
    We aren't drafting Nix. Nor should we.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,009 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    34ß
    I don't claim to know much (and I'm right every time I claim that), but one thing I am pretty darned sure of is that Emery really does educate himself on all of his choices before he makes a decision and his decisions are very educated ones. Nix can be one of the top DT choices and if some other choices are not there, I think it's just smart to know what you have in Nix. I am fairly certain he will still be there at 14, so it is smart to know if you want to pick him or not when the time comes, especially if you don;t have a possible trade.
    • Like Like x 4
  6. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,457 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    246ß
    BiH, that's the other thing, what if a worst case scenerio happens and Dix/Pryor and Donald are all off the board? Dennard apparently had some kind of surgery on the off season so his stock is actually falling. So your top 3 could possibly be all off the board, and your cb safety valve might be dropping b/c of inj concerns, so who do you draft then? Gotta get the others in.

It well could be a smoke screen, but it could just be a a safety valve incase everything falls bad; and it's not like the team couldn't use a NT also, why is Paea looked at as safe; unless the team runs a different 4-3 scheme from last year Allen and Ratliff are your starting RDE/DT(btw it is fully possible they play a different scheme from last year), so that means the only DL not changing from last year is NT; why?
    • Like Like x 1
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,423 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    583ß
    Sure he will and long after that too. He's not even worth a top 20 pick to anyone and less than that to us. Hageman would be a better pick for the Bears than Nix and that's not saying much. To take either of those guys in the top 20 would be a huge risk for whoever took them. I wouldn't even have them on my 1st round list period.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,009 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    34ß
    Yeah... I'm looking at it the same way. Whether or not I want to see him pick Nix at 14, I still like that he is looking at him. FOr all I know, he may think that Nix might be there with our second pick, although I doubt it.
  9. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,457 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    246ß
    Or he's looking at guys in case they trade out of the 14 pick. Anyways it could be a smoke screen also, I just don't think it's that simple, a smoke screen would be more along the lines of Ealy or Ebron. I think Nix is a possiblility in some situations.
  10. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,423 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    583ß
    Even if he was I still won't take him houston. I don't believe this kid is another B.J. Raji or Vince Wilfork and sure not a Haloti Ngata. I'd say he's a lot more like the Fridge only fatter from the very start. I don't trust that this kid will keep his weight down and right now we have no need at all for a two gap NT. He'd be a wasted pick.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    Yeah I wouldn't take Nix until the 3rd, and of course we all know he won't be there till then. At 14? Taking him would be a joke alone the lines of JA. A player with conditioning and physical concerns. With a huge injury concern. From a school that always have overdrafted players who don't live up to the stock. Who plays a position we do not even use.

I just don't understand any interest in him.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,009 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    34ß
    IDK... I'd have to think about him at th 51 pick.
  13. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,457 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    246ß
    Proof positive the kid will be good, Soul said She was a 3 down 4-3 DE, his proclamations are about as good as mine :) none of us know how these guys will turn out b/c so much of it is in their determination and how they enteract w/coaches and what they are asked to do.
    Anyone remember the movie Hot to Trot; when the guy goes around and starts winning buy betting against the horses most people are betting on? Ya I take that approach to anyone in the draft in most instances.

And Emery is a complete wildcard to assume you know what he wants is crazy talk.
  14. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    84ß
    Emery brings these guys in for a visit, then fires up his computer to check out what WE think here on the messageboard as we react to each visit. Later, he checks our mocks to make sure he has the right guys lined up for the later round picks. I wish he'd just have a couple of us with him in the war room for the draft so he wouldn't have to keep checking with the messageboard during the live draft (and Ski for heaven's sake don't run any board software upgrades that day.......Phil would stroke out if he couldn't sign in).

(Phil, we don't like this Nix pick. You can go ahead and pass on 'im. And thanks for running this by us. Much appreciated. BTW, you did good on the Jared Allen signing)

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
    • Like Like x 3
  15. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,009 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    34ß
    I KNEW IT! I just KNEW it
    • Like Like x 1
  16. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,457 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    246ß
    JABF, as we all know by Emery's first two picks he's 100% on in tune and on board w/that the fans want and expect as he drafts.
    It's obvious that he will no doubt not pick a mid 1st round talent if he's there at 51, let alone 14, b/c the fans KNOW this guy is a guaranteed fail and couldn't possibly work in a D scheme they don't even know. He'll certainly pass on him also if he's somehow around in the 3rd for that reason.
  17. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    Nobody is claiming to be able to read Emery's mind, just making practical inferences based on what we DO know. We are still a 4-3 base team. The Allen, Houston, Ratliff signings support that. It doesn't make sense to draft a player who preformed a role well in college that we do not have. He by no means was dominant and never showed much versatility. Combine that with injury and conditioning concerns along with being from a program who always has over drafted players and its just not very logical that he would be on our board. Maybe in the 3rd after we addressed our immediate needs on the basis of a clear BPA but even then we may be faced with a better option. He won't last that long, or likely even to 51 and taking him with either of our top picks would be foolish. If this guy was from Indiana or Purdue he probably would be slated as a 3rd rounder.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    84ß
    I still think one of us (or a couple of us) need to let Phil know we'd be free to help him in the Bears war room. He's probably too humble to ask us here on the messageboard. One thing we COULD do to help, is to simply print out our best mocks and mail them to him c/o Halas Hall. But we should do that early enough so that he has time to study our mocks properly.

(Phil, you probably should look over Griz' three trade down scenarios just in case any of those teams show up as dance partners (and my mock on the #2 scenario is probably worth looking over too). Don't worry about thanking us here. Just do well on draft day.)
  19. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,009 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    34ß
    Send him the computer simulation that shows the 2013 Bears getting beat by the 1985 Bears. That should wake him up and put him in firefighting mode!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    84ß
    Yikes, we also failed to give him the link for the Fanspeak site so he can sharpen his draft skills prior to DDay.

(Phil, here's the link. It has been updated after your FA acquisitions so it's VERY accurate: http://fanspeak.com/ontheclock/)
    • Like Like x 1