No compensatory picks for Bears

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by short faced bear, Mar 24, 2014.

1. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,162 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    21ß
    By Larry Mayer
    The Bears will not receive any of the 32 compensatory draft picks the NFL awarded Monday.

The extra picks are given to teams based upon the compensatory draft system's net loss of compensatory free agents (CFA) formula. Under the system, each CFA is assigned a numerical value that includes his compensation, playtime time and postseason honors with his new team.

The Bears were among three clubs that qualified for compensatory picks under the net loss formula, but will not receive those picks because the numerical values of the CFAs who were lost by those teams did not rank among the numerical values of all compensatory picks. The other teams affected were the Falcons and Bengals.

The compensatory picks are positioned within the third through seventh rounds based on the value of the CFAs lost. Thirteen teams were awarded picks, led by the Ravens and Jets with four apiece. The Steelers, Packers, Ravens and 49ers were the only clubs to receive fourth-round choices.

The Bears have seven picks in the May 8-10 NFL Draft; one in each of the first five rounds, two in the sixth and none in the seventh. They acquired a sixth-rounder from the Buccaneers in exchange for guard Gabe Carimi and dealt a seventh-rounder to the Cowboys for tight end Dante Rosario.

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/ar...or-Bears/f024c3fc-1e83-4c7f-93b8-3f109852447d
  2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,845 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    98ß
    The 49ers got an extra 3rd/4th round comp pick today bringing their total to 12 picks in this year's draft. That is amazing. They could end up with 7 players in the first 4 rounds. Holy cow. I sure wish that was us.
  3. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +490 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    313ß
    The 9ers have lots of picks and only a few holes. Most of the picks will not make there team so I am hopeful somebody is on the board they want when we are on the clock and can pry some of those picks away from them. Might be to big of a difference in Rd 1 moving from 14 down to 30 depending on what they offer. But rd 2 they have pick 56 and we have 51. Maybe we could move back 5 picks there and snag a 4th rounder from them. I dont know just hoping we can get some of them picks somehow.
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,845 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    98ß
    I'd love to see that happen too. It's like the rich get richer. Jerry Angelo left us a bare cupboard. Wish we had those 12 picks.
  5. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,450 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    651ß
    They're either gonna be trading picks away or releasing a lot of pretty good football players to make room for all of them.

I don't know that it makes all that much difference to us in the first two rounds but moving to the bottom or two or three with an exchange of our next pick and the differential might get us a guy we really want who wouldn't be there in the middle of three or four. I'd be very surprised if Emery traded down. That doesn't seem to be in his nature. He's more aggressive than that. JA liked to spread his risk with more picks and less risk on trying to draft impact players with bust potential. If anything I see Emery more as a guy who'll trade up for the player he wants.

Emery seems far more willing to hang his hat on "his guy" and let the chips fall where they may even it "his guy" raises some eyebrows as both McClellin and Long did. That's one of the reason I don't believe he'll trade down and the other is he's never done it and seemed to say at the Combine that he didn't believe he could get fair value for that #14 pick. If you look at it from one perspective Donald is the "eyebrow raiser" this year. Because of his lack of size some team simply wouldn't take him because he only fits one place and if he doesn't succeed there isn't much else you can do with him.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +490 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    313ß
    The 9ers can make a pretty sweet offer with all the picks they have for somebody they really want. They will follow the trade value chart but may be more willing to sweeten the deal over and above the charts slightly to get a deal done for the right player. As noted they wont be expecting the picks to make the team anyway so to get what they want will probably be there emphasis.
  7. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +580 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    131ß
    And the Packers got two extra picks, one of it in the third-round. :/
  8. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    19ß
    The Ravens got them all :)

They got (1) third round pick, (2) fourth round picks and (1) fifth round pick.

While those picks can not be traded, and they do come at the end of the round, they sure do help since the Ravens have already used thier 4th, 5th and 7th round picks for FA pick-ups (a LT and a Center).

However, they lost some impact players (all starters, 2-LB, 1-FS, and a CB) to get those picks.
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2014