no down side to blitzing in my eyes, bros

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BradMustersGhost, Sep 25, 2013.

1. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +226 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    our DL needs the help and our secondary is gonna give up big plays regardless. Let's be honest about a few things fellas: 1-our DL just is not what we thought it would be coming into the year. For whatever reasons (Pep is injured and/or has finally just lost a half-step coming off of the LOS, McClellin is a bust, etc. etc.) our DL just isn't going to get it done this year. With all due respect, it is kinda absurd to expect them to suddenly morph into the Steel Curtain after they have proven incapable of mounting a consistent pass rush throughout the first month of the season. Enough with weekly excuses (the field was soggy, Pep was sick, the opposing QB just had a quick release, etc.)....they are what they are. 2-Our secondary is average at best when it comes to actually covering opposing receivers. Come on guys, let's call a spade a spade. Peanut and Jennings might be great at forcing fumbles and jumping the occasional route, BUT they also routinely get beat downfield by above average/speedy WRs. Neither one of them is a true "shut down" CB who is capable of literally shadowing a quality WR all game long. The lack of a pass rush AND the safeties inability to close quickly enough (both Conte and Wright still bite too often on pump fakes) are the reasons why we are giving up so many 15-20+ yard completions.

Soooo, with all of that having been said, what is this supposed "downside" to blitzing? Is it that by blitzing, we risk giving up big plays downfield? lol, that is happening with alarming regularity anyway, even when we drop 7. Hell, one could argue that dropping 7 only serves to ENCOURAGE these long plays downfield, due to the fact that the opposing QB has all day long whenever we rely upon only our DL to generate a pass rush (see: Dalton-week 1). So Mel, dial up those blitzes with impunity! Disguise as best ya can, call them when they are least expected, continue to incorporate those DL/LB stunts and let's see what happens! We will live or die by the Blitz this year, fellas! It is on like Donkey Kong!!!
  2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,844 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    97ß
    I agree the defense needs to get better. I think we will see improvement. This isn't necessarily "as good as it gets" for the season. And, I may be wrong, but I'm thinking it's too early to give up on the DL. I want to see a few more games before writing off the DL for the season.

Our CB's are good. Both are Pro Bowl players. I agree they are not elite shut down CB's but they are not our problem. Most teams would give anything to have our CB's - to have two Pro Bowl CB's on one team is pretty darned good.

I'm fine with mixing in blitzing and being unpredictable with our defense. It would be a mistake to go overboard with blitzes though.
  3. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +484 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    56ß
    blitzing opens the middle of the field and we get killed with 5 to 15 yard passes dumped just over the blitzers. I don't mind blitzing but we need to do it smart-at the right times or on the right plays.

That said I now want to repeat santa claus - on tucker, on blitzin
    • Like Like x 1
  4. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +226 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    shark86x, as it is now, we are gettig killed with 15-20+ yard passes dumped over the heads of our db's. I agree that the blitzes obviously need to be well-disguised and timed, but we obviously need to take drastic measures, because relying upon the DL for any kind of pass rush is just whistlin' dixie! ;)
    • Like Like x 1