No Honor Among Thieves.........................

Discussion in 'Rival Team Forum' started by soulman, Jul 29, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    The New England Patriots Just Stole The Carolina Panthers’ Sixth-Round Running Back

In the sixth round of the 2014 NFL Draft, the Carolina Panthers selected Tyler Gaffney, a running back out of Stanford. Later, the team signed Gaffney to a four-year contract that included a $96,000 signing bonus. The Panthers already paid Gaffney that money.

Recently, Gaffney suffered a season-ending left knee injury. The Panthers wanted to place their rookie on injured reserve. However, with it being the offseason and because teams are allowed to have 90 players on their rosters right now, Gaffney would have to clear waivers before he could be placed on IR. Normally, this is not an issue in the offseason.

But the Patriots are a smart, ruthless team. What did they do? They claimed Gaffney on waivers before he made it IR.

Now, they have a running back on their team that had 21 rushing touchdowns and averaged 5.2 yards per carry in his final season at Stanford. And they didn’t even have to use a draft pick or pay a signing bonus to acquire Gaffney.
    [​IMG]
    It’s also important to note that this isn’t the first time the Patriots have pulled something like this. The team once claimed a then-injured Jake Ballard in the same manner, but Ballard would be cut in preseason the following year.

The lesson in all of this: The Patriots are wise and ruthless and you don’t want to mess with them. You don’t try to sneak shit past the Patriots. They will get you. They always do. No, they did not break any rules. They just exploited the rules.

The Patriot way.
  2. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,237 / 3 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    615ß
  3. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    The Patriot Way. LMFAO!

The Patriot Way is the Belichick way which is essentially cheat if you think you can get away with it because he can well afford the fine and if the team is also fined draft picks no problem. We'll just steal a few from other teams. No big deal.

I agree that they did nothing illegal as per the rules but I imagine there still exists and unwritten set of them that at least deal with some back door issues like this one. MLB has a few like not bunting to break up a no hitter or bunting when your team is up by nine runs so I imagine the NFL has a few as well when it comes to personnel matters.

So the Panthers took a risk they thought was no big deal and lost. Maybe they should have been smarter and just waited. It's about equivalent to something I'd have expected out of JA like forgetting to check the box for an RFA so there are more naïve GMs than just him.

It's easy for a Pats fan to post this and gloat a little. Most of them are as a big a prick as their HC but what goes around comes around they say. Man I can't wait for that Pats game this year because I want to see the Bears take them apart at home. I want that almost as much as beating the Packers twice.
  4. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Veteran

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    555ß
    Yeah well I was watching one of the NFL shows a couple days ago and one of the commentators mentioned that they haven't won the SB since getting caught in Spygate . What goes around comes around .
  5. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Instant Karma brother, instant karma.