No Need To Hesitate; Time To Move Forward With Clausen.....

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Aug 12, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,844 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,537ß
    [​IMG]
    Chicago Bears need to move forward with Jimmy Clausen
    By Ross Read
    August 11, 2014 8:00 am CDT

That’s it. Call the fight because I’ve seen enough. Jimmy Clausen has knocked out Jordan Palmer from the backup quarterback spot in the first round.

Clausen was impressive in a 34-28 against the Eagles. He went 7 for 13 with 150 yards and two touchdown passes good for a quarterback rating of 134.6.

On the contrast, Palmer was a little shaky in his 8 for 11 performance. He had 104 yards with one touchdown and one interception.

Palmer’s stats weren’t that bad and Clausen’s weren’t that much better but it was the eye test that demands your attention.

Clausen had confidence and poise in the pocket. He threw his passes with conviction and made quick smart decisions.

Palmer seemed like the game was moving too fast for him at times. He didn’t have the best protection but also didn’t help his cause by holding on to the football as he tried to figure out where to go with it.

The experience between the two quarterbacks has been discussed and you can see why it’s an important subject. Palmer has thrown only 15 regular season passes in his career and has never started a football game. Clausen started 10 games back in Carolina but only manged one win.

Going back to the eye test, Clausen seemed more comfortable throughout the game. He was seen laughing and joking with starter Jay Cutler and seems to have a good relationship with players on the offense. Clausen and head coach Marc Trestman have a history together. Trestman helped Clausen prepare for the NFL Draft back in 2010. Clausen and Cutler have also gotten to be very close.

Clausen has already gone on record saying Cutler “helped him alot” to learn the playbook and get acclimated to the team. There seems to be a bit of favoritism going on in the organization with Clausen and Palmer and it’s starting to show on the field.

In September, Clausen will only be 27-years-old. Palmer is already 30 and doesn’t have much of an NFL future left, on the field at least.

Clausen is playing for his career right now and is motivated to rebuild his reputation. If he performs well as a backup in Chicago then he is sure to get another shot at starting down the line. Clausen needs this to work out for him because he’s in danger of finding himself out of the league at a very early age.

Palmer has a bright future in the league but it’s likely on the coaching side. He worked with Jacksonville Jaguars rookie Blake Bortles to help him get ready for the draft. Obviously it worked because Bortles was the first quarterback taken in the draft and coincidentally will be town this weekend to play the Bears.

Rookie David Fales is still probably a few seasons away from being a competent backup. This means Clausen can stick with the Bears for a few years and then attempt to take another shot as a starter right before he turns 30.

The Bears should put Palmer out of his misery sooner than later. If we see similar performances this week against the Jaguars then Palmer should be one of the early cuts in camp. There’s no shame going forward with Clausen and we have all seen what Marc Trestman can do with quarterbacks and takes a liking to.
  2. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,844 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,537ß
    I really can't say that it could have been written any better or more accurately than this.

Friday was a classic showdown between the late round draft pick with more time in the offense and the second round pick with the greater talent to execute what he did know. It kind of proves Phil Emery's theory correct as well. Clausen looks the part of an NFL starting caliber QB and Palmer doesn't.

That doesn't mean Palmer couldn't be a decent backup but if you had the choice of which one you thought could win you more games in a backup role despite having less experience in this offense it would have to be Clausen. He has the mannerisms, the poise and he arm of an NFL starter. Palmer, while competent enough clearly doesn't.

I think Ross Read goes on to nail each of their futures as well. Jimmy Clausen can spend a year or two here as Cutler's backup and probably parlay that into another shot at a starting gig before he turns 30. Palmer is 30 and his time has come and gone. But he's a very football savvy guy who should end up in the coaching ranks very soon developing QBs who are destined to become better than he will ever be.

I still like the idea of keeping both but the more I see of this offense and Cutler command of it that coupled with Clausen's emergence as a what looks to be a perfect replacement for McCown the less I see a need for three QBs on the roster. Save that spot for another position player whose on the bubble but could provide great depth elsewhere and send Fales to the PS for some seasoning running the scout team each week.

This decision looks even easier now than it's ever been.
  3. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,544 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    743ß
    I agree. I'm ok with Palmer, but Clausen is the clear choice. I'd say cut Palmer loose and give Clausen more reps.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,975 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    986ß
    imo Fales as a rookie looked about as good as Palmer who's an inexperienced vet; and Fales has more upside. Clausen was the CLEAR best qb outside of Cutler.
  5. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,844 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,537ß
    I don't think they'll release him until the end because I don't think any other teams will have much of an interest in him. If I didn't think we could use that roster spot more to our advantage I'd say keep both but it seems like Jay and Jimmy have formed a bond much like he did with McCown last year only this time Cutler is the vet doing the schooling and he seems to be getting into that. Trestman really has made a new man out of him.

I expect Clausen to either be first off the bench this week or to get even more snaps. He's earned that. The real truth will come in game three when the starters play the entire first half or more. That's where we'll find out where they stand in the pecking order. Just on the basis of this last game, and knowing Trestman, they're aren't just gonna hand that #2 spot to Clausen but I think the author is correct. The handwriting is already one the wall. Palmer doesn't suck but Clausen is clearly the better passer and he's far more mobile.
  6. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    58ß
    Yep. I agree. Unfortunately for Palmer I would say this would mean that he would be cut. I can't see trying to PS Fales in order to keep at 30 year old 3rd sting QB with close to no NFL exp as a starter. Fales would likely get snatched up by someone looking for a developmental QB and we essentially would have thrown away a pick in order to keep Palmer for a year or two. Not a very good trade off.

But yeah, Clausen is both younger and more experienced. Both put up decent numbers but I would agree that Clausen looked a bit better. This next PS game could be really huge in this decision.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. mshu7

mshu7 Rookie

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    22ß
  8. B-ell-y-iot

B-ell-y-iot Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +285 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    250ß
    I've got to say I hate the title and the initial claim of this article "No Need to Hesitate." You don't call a fight when someone looks "a little shaky." You call the fight when they're getting the blood beat out of them - when there is no feasible way for the opponent to get back into the fight. To "call the fight" after the first preseason game cause of a fucking eye test is ridiculous and it flies in the face of everything Trestman and his staff are trying to bring to this Bear's team - competition, fairness, respect, love - none of which could be rationalize if they "stopped the fight." To make this kind of claim in the style of 1960s hyperbole proves that Reed doesn't respect the Bear's new style of business and that he's just wanting your page view.

I think 4dabers summed it up well in the "Clausen named the #2 QB for Thursday" thread.

They've had 14 days in training camp and one preseason game. I don't think it's essential for them to name their number two quarterback just yet, and I don't think it's wise to. Keep the pressure on them both. The only harm that comes out of a continued competition is in reps and if they are so sure on Clausen, just give him the bulk of the reps but keep Palmer putting pressure on him because there's no reason not to.

I think it's smart and fair to put Clausen with the 2s on Thursday. He's winning the competition at the moment, but a lot of what people saw - the eye test as Ross Read refers to it - could just be a product of a shitty third team defense on the part of the Eagles and if that is so, Clausen had a lot more to be comfortable about - he wasn't getting driven into the grass at Soldier Field.

Let's see how he stacks up against a second team defense with our second team line and then make more objective comparisons.

Clausen's winning the battle right now - if he earns the spot, awesome, but let's keep it going unless there is more harm than good that will come from it. I don't think there is.
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  9. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +732 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    77ß
    Not surprisingly, I agree with Belly here. :smile:

One more thing to keep in mind; I'm not sure what the O-Line composition was when Palmer was in there at first, but it wasn't good. Long and Boggs were both blowing and Palmer seldom had time to set. For whatever reason, Clauson got more time when he came in, and it did get better for Palmer after his first two series.

Personally, I like Clauson's potential better regardless, but if you're going to have a competition then it should be as fair as possible to give the decision makers the best information they can get before making said decision. I'm all for Clauson, but I'm more for the Bears having the best back-up they can get. Thursday night will give us a more representative sample and the following Friday should close the book.
  10. RochBear

RochBear Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    I'd figure the writer is essentially trolling for clicks there. Of course you don't call the competition off early in the race when one competitor goes out in front. Heck the competition is probably good for Clausen. Like essentially everybody, I expected Clausen to win the back-up spot from the day he signed, but he *might* not. Palmer will also benefit from the competition and that may help the Bears as he probably goes to the sitting-at-home reserve list (I'd be surprised if any other team was interested in him).
  11. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,212 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    253ß
    There's no urgency to call off the competition. I'm assuming Clausen will win it for the reasons mentioned but let's not be premature.

Figuring it will be Pickles, God I hope we won't waste a roster spot on Fales. If he doesn't clear waivers to get to the PS or gets signed off during the season, then so be it, no loss. 6th round "drafted backup QBs" (Emery's description btw) are available every year for cheap. Palmer will be available as the emergency "call back" option. Just cut Fales, he was a dumb pick (understandable before we were able to sign Clausen) just like Enderle was.

I hate drafting late round trash QBs because it's not like they can contribute on STs while "developing" and occupying a roster spot that could otherwise actually ADD DEPTH. I love Phil Emery but here's a hint for the future: don't draft any more QBs that you don't foresee actually becoming an eventual starter.
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. BillSwerskey54

BillSwerskey54 Newbie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Clausen is a clear cut choice at number 2 imo. He has more talent, a stronger arm, more poise in the pocket and is 4 years younger than Palmer. Even though he has only played 1 preseason game by making him the clear front-runner for the backup job to Cutler they can see how he reacts when he is placed in the "spotlight" so to speak. If he responds well then keep him as backup, and if this lights a fire under Palmer's ass and he responds well it will create competition between the two, and hopefully they raise their play even more.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +652 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    337ß
    Oh, how I luv competition music to my ears. People earn a positions that deserve it what a F'n concept. Thank God we finally have real coaches with the chi-town Bears. What this tells FA's when they look over at Bears is "hey they give you legitimate shot" while those other teams luv their grab ass protocol.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,844 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,537ß
    All true but what writer doesn't do that. That's always my biggest problem with them. I think the part about the it being a virtual knockout and "call the fight off" is a little too strong still, as I posted, the handwriting is already on the wall.

The part of the article that rings true to me and therefore why I posted it is that just eyeballing them DOES indicate that Clausen is the significantly better passer, has a better arm and he's also more mobile. That much most anyone could see just by watching so Ross Reads point is no great revelation. I think we knew that much about them even before camp started much less a preseason game appearance by both.

I'm not in favor of releasing Palmer at all. In fact if we can find any way to keep him on the roster I'd do that too because he'd make a good bench coach for both of them. I'm just not as worried about losing Fales on waivers as some are. He's nowhere near ready to be a #2 so no matter where he goes he sits or ends up inactive. He can't refuse a waiver claim but he can refuse once he's on our PS if he's willing to stay and if he does and he develops there's a good chance he could be our #2 in a couple of years.

I'm not in favor of keeping Fales on the roster just to have him sit inactive for 16 games when we could be using that spot for depth elsewhere and if we lose him on waivers they'll be another David Fales along next year too.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. B-ell-y-iot

B-ell-y-iot Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +285 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    250ß
    Resuscitating the Clausen/Palmer competition in 3...2...1

It's a tale of two tapes here. Game 1 Palmer looked very focused and a little stiff. Despite this subjective impression of his performance, he statistically ended the game doing relatively well 8/11 104 yards, 1TD 1INT. Additionally, he was able to execute the playbook efficiently and gathered poise despite the lack of protection offered up by a beleaguered O-Line missing starters Kyle Long and Jordan Mills, even missing backup Brian De la Puente. Despite these obstacles he was efficient.

Conversely, Clausen in his 3rd team start, looked "comfortable" and athletic on the field. 7/11 150 yards 2TDs and 0 int. He delivered the ball with accuracy and zip, demonstrating his superior arm strength and his movement inside and out of the pocket was shifty but focused on play making. His flashes of success in this game were against a 3rd team defense that was struggling and a 3rd team line that was holding up to pressure in a way far superior to that of the 2nd string OL.

In game 2, Palmer looked the part of the seasoned vet and Clausen looked angry and humbled. Palmer picked the ball up with the 3rd team offense against the Jags third team defense and executed his play and reads very well. He was an efficient passer, a sharp decision maker, and a poised presence on the field. Statistically he wasn't impressive in this game, but he led the offense to two scoring drives to secure the teams eventual victory. His two touchdowns weren't through the air and as such they don't statistically matter for the purposes of creating a higher passer rating, but for those who watched him lead the offense, it was done well and it was clear he was in command. His passing efficiency and poise allowed the running game to open up and provided rookie Kadeem Carey with a chance to meet pay dirt. Palmer was 6/9 for 73 yards with 0 TDs and 0 ints in this outing.

Clausen's poise was stripped away from him in facing the Jaguars D. He looked the opposite of comfortable on the field or on the sideline. Instead he looked frustrated and bitter. The stat sheet shows a high completion percentage with an asterisk interception (it was a great defensive play - not necessarily a bad ball). He was 11/15 for 94 yards 0 TDs 1 int. In this game it was Clausen who felt the defensive pressure getting sacked and hurried a couple of times despite playing his first series behind the starting line and subsequent series behind a 1/2 blend. Overall, his arm still looked good. He made some poor decisions and got away with a couple but for the most part he looked decent.

At this point the QB Rating between the two backup competitors is:
    Palmer: 93.12
    Clausen: 100.89 177 14 20

However, it is much closer than those numbers suggest since Palmer, once again, led the 3rd team offense on two scoring drives that were capped off with short yardage TD runs they could have been pass plays just as easily which would have elevated his QB rating to either 128.57 (2TDS) OR 112.79 (1TD) in which case Palmer would look the part of the more efficient QB on paper.

I think the job is still Clausen's at the moment. He is more athletic. He has a bigger arm. He is more confident in his play style and is able to adjust on the fly expediently. Palmer is VERY close behind him though. Palmer is more of a game planner who follows directives and plays smart ball. He isn't going to take many unneeded risks. He'll take the short pass for minimal gains as opposed to risking a pass into double coverage or risking a sack to wait for the coverage to clear. He'll fold up rather than get banged up when he's exposed. I actually think he is more of a prototypical game planning Trestman quarterback than Clausen. That might win him the job.

Trestman and Kromer are in a tough spot. With the 3rd game coming up in which Cutler will get a ton of reps. they might have to choose who there #2 is this week. Without a decisive victor, this could be difficult and be based less on evidence than expectation and gut.

The benefit of this is both boys are good back-ups and I think we've kept strong at that position despite losing McCown.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,544 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    743ß
    pretty good comparison. I pretty much see it the same way. The gap closed a little last week. I still think it will be Clausen, but Palmer was the one to score....
    No way to tell, but I still think Clausen. I'm starting to think either can do it. Given complete equality, you have to give it to the younger guy.