No Tebow in Patriots' loss. Will he be cut?

Discussion in 'Rival Team Forum' started by little bear, Aug 23, 2013.

1. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +848 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    772ß
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...ebow-doesnt-play-in-new-england-patriots-loss

Tim Tebow doesn't play in New England Patriots' loss

Tim Tebow didn't see the field Thursday night, which naturally leads to questions about his future with the New England Patriots.

Quarterback Tom Brady played the entire first half of a 40-9 loss to the Detroit Lions, with backup Ryan Mallett taking over for the final two quarters. Asked why Tebow was kept out of the game, Patriots coach Bill Belichick kept it simple.

"Because we played two quarterbacks," he said.

"You prepare yourself and be ready for whenever your number is called," Tebow told ESPNBoston.com after the game. "There's nothing else to it."

Tebow's blank stat line won't help his chances of making the team, but neither did going 1 for 7 for negative yardage with an interception in last week's win over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Plenty of third-string quarterbacks see little or no playing time in the critical third week of the preseason. Next week's August finale against the New York Giants will decide his fate. That is, if Tebow survives Tuesday's cuts from 84 to 75 players.

You make an NFL team with your play. Undrafted receiver Kenbrell Thompkins is a perfect example of how the preseason -- really, the entire offseason process -- rewards talent. Thompkins has earned a spot because his production has popped out on tape for months.

Tebow's a story line because he's Tebow, but he's struggled to move the ball against backups. Belichick -- not a sentimental creature -- has but 53 spots to give. Tebow has one more game to prove he's worth one.

--------------------

I doubt Tebow will make the Pats' final roster. As long as he's not willing to switch to TE he won't find playing time in the NFL. If he gets cut and agrees to play the tight end position, I'd pick him up in a heartbeat.

MBennett & Tebow could be a powerful duo imo. Honestly I'd rather have Tebow taking up a roster spot than Hester.
  2. kegstand

kegstand George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Girl don't go away mad, girl just go away.
  3. blinddeafmute

blinddeafmute DaBears Ditka

Ratings:
    +1,425 / 4 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    43ß
    Why would anyone think he'd make a good tight end? Can he catch? Can he run routes? Can he block?

Nope, he just looks like a tight end.

Yeah, no thanks.
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,000 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,027ß
    Don't know if he could or couldn't BDM, but he'd stand a better shot at that then QB. And the guy does have a good attitude and is supposedly a hard worker. Guy isn't a qb but I could see why a team, if he's willing, would want to try him somewhere else.

All the same Ryan Mallett's 0 nfl starts>Tim Tebow
  5. Evernight

Evernight Rookie

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    He should probably hang the cleats up for good when he gets cut next week. Terrible, horrible qb. Great character, sure, but character doesn't matter if you have zero talent to go with it.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. blinddeafmute

blinddeafmute DaBears Ditka

Ratings:
    +1,425 / 4 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    43ß
    I can see that too. There's a possibility, but we don't actually know that. He had one reception plan in NY and the ball bounced off of his head. I doubt he has great hands if he's never caught the ball. I wouldn't be screaming for him as a backup TE anytime soon.

I love the guys character, but that doesn't equate to a good football player.
  7. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,000 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,027ß
    nope he'd have to stick around as a backup to learn how to play, I still see him more as a FB though, he could lay would on someone, or on goallines move a OL forward.
  8. ticat

ticat Veteran

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    21ß
    To some who are watching Tim Tebow struggle to play quarterback for the New England Patriots—and struggle is a mighty generous way to describe what he's doing—there is but one conclusion.
    It's not just that Tebow can no longer play quarterback, or any other skill position, in the NFL—it's that unless Tebow switches to a strictly blocking position, he is not talented enough to play in leagues like the Canadian Football League and Arena Football League.
    Tebow's skills have eroded so quickly, so shockingly fast—think heavy boulder dropped from low orbit—that it has actually stunned several scouts who have watched him closely for years.
    The belief is that Tebow has been and will continue to be so bad, that the Patriots will have no choice but to cut him loose from the roster.
    Now, just to be clear: None of this is presented as Tebow-bashing or a type of huge exposé. To some, this isn't even shocking. To me, some of this was. Scouts I trust saying Tebow isn’t fit to play arena ball?
    Then I thought about it. I watched him play this preseason when he threw for negative yards and looked as graceful as two toddlers playing catch with a bag of angry cats. I talked to more people, watched Tebow highlights from his Florida Gator and Denver Broncos days.
    And, I’ll be damned. It's clear. Tebow’s career as anything but a blocking fullback is over.
    What's next for Tim Tebow?
    Spot duty for the Patriots CFL or AFL Broadcast booth "Dancing with the Stars" Assistant to Urban Meyer at OSU Submit Vote vote to see results

• What's next for Tim Tebow?
    • Spot duty for the Patriots
      13.4%
      • CFL or AFL
        4.7%
      • Broadcast booth
        13.9%
      • "Dancing with the Stars"
        40.6%
      • Assistant to Urban Meyer at OSU
        27.4%
      Total votes: 54,346
    The reason why is speed. Speed doesn’t just kill; speed is currency in football. It’s the dollar, the deutsche mark. A player without a basic modicum of it is a brontosaurus in a league of tyrannosaurus rex.
    That lack of speed is evident in three critical phases of Tebow’s game: His throwing motion, his mental acuity and his ability to avoid tacklers.
    It’s not simply that he can't do these things now. We knew that. What's stunning, upon closer examination, is the rapidity with which these skills have been lost.
    In the preseason opener against Philadelphia, Tebow was 4-of-12 passing for 55 yards. He was sacked three times and had a passer rating of 49. Then, against Tampa Bay, he had just one completion, an interception and finished with a passer rating of zero.
    My suspicion is that the physical punishment he endured starting at Florida and continuing through the NFL has taken its toll in ways we may not have noticed before.
    Look at Tebow at Florida versus Tebow now. He didn't blast by some of the best defenses in the SEC on his good looks and charisma. He did have speed. And he did have skill.
    [​IMG] Chris Graythen/Getty Images
    Scouts say they don't recognize the Tebow they saw in college. His regression has been so steep that I don't believe there is a league he can now play in.
    The problem with Tebow playing in the CFL is that, while the league is obviously a lesser platform than the NFL, it's still pretty good. Don't forget: Warren Moon, who in my opinion is one of the top 10 NFL quarterbacks of all time, played in the CFL.
    The level of athleticism has progressed significantly since Moon transitioned to the NFL in the early 80s. Also, the CFL has always been a passing league, and Tebow can’t, you know, pass. Or run.
    [​IMG] Jared Wickerham/Getty Images
    The Arena Football League might even be a tougher league for Tebow. The arena game is gimmicky, but passing accuracy is vital because of the fast pace and claustrophobic field. All that league does is pass.
    The AFL MVP this past season was Erik Meyer. He played then-Division I-AA football at Eastern Washington and was one of the most accurate passers in I-AA history.
    In his current state, Tebow wouldn't last 10 minutes in either of those leagues.
    Patriots coach Bill Belichick says Tebow is improving, but no one believes that. There's no way even Belichick believes that. Barring a transplant of Bart Starr's mitochondria into Tebow’s synapses, what we are seeing with Tebow is the end.
    Unless he becomes a blocker.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial&hpt=hp_t3