Notebook: Bears rookie minicamp, Day One

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, May 17, 2014.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,586 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,783ß
    http://www.chicagofootball.com/2014/05/16/notebook-bears-rookie-minicamp-day-one/awyn46s/

Notebook: Bears rookie minicamp, Day One

Friday, May 16, 2014 3:03 p.m. CDT

Chicago Bears cornerback Kyle Fuller (23) looks to teammates during a rookie football mini-camp in Lake Forest, Ill., on Friday, May 16, 2014. (AP Photo/Nam Y. Huh) (AP Photo/Nam Y. Huh)
    LAKE FOREST — Marc Trestman ran his standard up-tempo practice to open rookie minicamp at Halas Hall with 28 players under contract and another 38 rookie tryout players. The practice was held inside the Walter Payton Center.
    "The focus today was not only to execute your assignment but the focus today was to go as fast as you can until the whistle blows after the ball was snapped," Trestman said.
    Here are some observations from Chicago Football’s Bears beat reporters Kevin Fishbain and Arthur Arkush from the first day of rookie minicamp.
    • Reggie Herring made his presence felt from moment we walked in. Worked up a great lather - definitely a yeller.
    • Fales' throwing motion is funky. He kind of pushes the ball, even on shorter throws. Overall, Fales' accuracy wasn't as good as I expected. Thew behind a few receivers over the middle.
    • Good to see DBs like Demontre Hurst and Kyle Fuller constantly trying to punch ball out. Hurst did force a fumble of Ka'Deem Carey in 7-on-7's.
    • Carey might not be a blazer, but he's field fast. Brought really nice energy and some evident niftiness after catch.
    • TE Dustin Greenwell (workout player from St. Francis) was catching everything in sight. Some impressive grabs away from his body, including one from Fales well behind him. Appeared to tweak his knee at one point, but didn't miss time and impressed as a receiver.
    • As Trestman said, Jordan Lynch didn't look out of place. Showed soft hands out of backfield, regained his balance quickly after one stumble post-catch.
    • Kyle Sebetic, workout safety out of Dayton, dropped a gift-wrapped INT. Didn't catch who threw it, though.
    • O'Donnell hit the ceiling of the Payton center at least three times. He clearly has a big leg to accompany the cut-up physique.
    -Arthur Arkush
    • Christian Jones absolutely looks the part and lined up at the “Sam” linebacker spot to start his push to make the Bears’ roster. He said after practice that while he has a lot of versatility, he is looking forward to focusing on one spot, and for now, that is on the strong side.
    • Veterans Robbie Gould, Kyle Long and Jordan Mills were around watching the practice. First-year players eligible to participate in the minicamp this year were QB Jerrod Johnson, CB Demontre Hurst, FB Willie Carter, OT Joe Long, DT Tracy Robertson, OT Rogers Gaines, P Tress Way, LB Lawrence Wilson and long snappers Chad Rempel and Brandon Hartson.
    • Carey seems to be one of those “quicker than fast” backs who should complement Matt Forte well, based on what we saw today. He has a jitterbug-type look in the open field, though he won’t run away from defenders like Forte can.
    • We got our first look at Ego Ferguson next to Will Sutton at defensive tackle, a pairing the Bears hope to see for years to come. Sutton made a nice play near the end of practice, getting past an O-lineman to knock down a pass.
    -Kevin Fishbain
  2. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,586 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,783ß
    Here's another one:

http://www.windycitygridiron.com/20...ookie-mini-camp-list-mel-tucker-marc-trestman

Chicago Bears rookie mini camp day 1 tidbits

By Lester A. Wiltfong Jr.@wiltfongjr on May 16 2014, 2:14p 117

The Chicago Bears began a three day rookie mini camp today and we've got a few interesting tidbits for you. Mel Tucker and Marc Trestman addressed the media and we've got those highlights too.
     Tweet Share on Twitter (6) Share Share on Facebook (8)  Share Share with Bears friends 117 Comments
    Earlier this morning at the Walter Payton Center of Halas Hall, the Chicago Bears began a three day rookie mini camp. All eight newly signed draft picks were in attendance, as were the nine undrafted free agents the Bears locked up after the draft. There were also eight first year pros, along with 38 players on a try out basis.
    Here's the full list as tweeted out by Adam Hoge.

Of all the try out players, keep an eye on defensive back Al Louis-Jean of Boston College. The Bears had him in for a workout before the draft, so they obviously see some potential in the 6'2", 195 pounder.
    I found it interesting that both Kyle Long and Jordan Mills were at camp helping out the youngsters. That's just solid leadership shown by both veterans.
    The Bears draft pick that drew the most confusion over draft weekend was probably punter Pat O'Donnell. Some fans wondered the point in drafting a punter, but when the punter can boom it like this...

... you can see why Phil Emery went special teams with one of his 6th round picks.
    Defensive coordinator Mel Tucker addressed the media for the first time in a very long time, and thanks to twitter, here are a few highlights.

OK...
    SAFETY WILL BE WIDE OPEN.

And speaking of Pasqualoni...

Marc Trestman addressed the media as well...

That's a lot of info we just threw at you, but let us know what you think so far.
    [​IMG]
  3. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,586 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,783ß
    so the twitter images didn't post to that one, you'll have to click the link, I suggest you do there is some real good pieces of info in those tweets.
  4. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,586 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,783ß
    http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2014/05/16/adaptability-key-as-bears-open-rookie-minicamp/

Adaptability the key as Bears open rookie minicamp

Published May 16, 2014
    Associated Press

LAKE FOREST, Ill. – The Chicago Bears touted their rookie class for its versatility. They showed it off a bit Friday on their first day of rookie minicamp.
    Undrafted and drafted players showed an ability to adapt, even to Chicago's fickle weather. Running back selection Ka'Deem Carey from Arizona took one look at the brief mid-May snowstorm, saw the team headed inside the Walter Payton Center and couldn't have been happier.

"I was like, 'Yes, we're not outside in that cold,'" Carey said, calling it shocking. "Nobody was telling me it was going to be snowing out there."
    Probably no Bears rookie had to show more versatility than undrafted free agent Jordan Lynch, the rugged former Northern Illinois quarterback who finished third in the Heisman Trophy balloting. The Bears lined Lynch up at running back, he caught a few passes and even played personal protector for the punter on special teams.
    "I love football and I'll do whatever it takes to stay in the NFL," he said. "And just, I guess, the toughest thing is some footwork drills playing running back and just trying to pick up on little things with special teams and running back."
    Lynch is more used to throwing passes, but coach Marc Trestman said he "certainly didn't look out of place."
    "I know he's hungry for information," Trestman said. "He's extremely motivated. He's very smart. And he certainly didn't look out of place by any means today running around out there. It's just the first day, but he didn't seem awkward in any way, running and catching the football in space."
    The Bears touted defensive tackles Will Sutton from Arizona State and Ego Ferguson from LSU for being able to move between the nose tackle and end spots on their line, but in their first practice, it was more a matter of grasping change than showing off a variety of skills.
    "We throw a lot at them and then we see what sticks and then we go back over it again," defensive coordinator Mel Tucker said. "We gave them a lot of information today."
    Ferguson did get to play a little at both positions.
    "I'm doing a little bit of everything right now," he said. "They've got me all over the place so I'm just trying to learn as much as possible."
    Former Minnesota safety Brock Vereen also played cornerback in college, but lined up only at free safety Friday. He didn't mind saying it was a whirlwind and he was trying to take it all in.
    "One of the first things our coaches said is, 'You're going to make a mistake, but make it fast,'" he said. "I'm just trying to show my speed and, hopefully, that I can pick up the concepts quick."
    One of the players with a little more to prove is undrafted free agent Christian Jones from Florida State. He was among a handful who reportedly failed the combine drug test. The Bears are trying him as a strong side linebacker.
    "Those are things as we get to know him a little bit better we'll talk to him, make sure we're doing everything we can to provide him a place where he can focus on football and do the things necessary to become the best pro he can be," Trestman said. "And we kind of leave it at that."
  5. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +408 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    98ß
    Dustin Greenwell huh? Be interesting to keep an eye on him.
  6. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,586 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,783ß
    Greenwell fighting for Fendi for the 4th TE position?
  7. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +408 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    98ß
    Very well could be. Fendi has the tools but there's hundreds of guys who have the skills and it never translates onto the field. I'll be interested to see Fendi and Greenwell this preseason and see which one makes his skills translate onto the field. If Greenwell makes it that far, I mean.

A point towards Fendi is he's spent the past two off-seasons with Marshall & Co down in Florida. Having that experience with Cutler is beyond valuable if he does indeed take the next step and become a regular in the offense. I was reading about him having spent the most time on our team so he's happy he's finally not learning a new playbook but rather getting down the other parts of playing TE. Having to learn a new playbook every year has to just add to the problems of someone going from basketball to the NFL. Let's hope Florida and repetitions within the system starts paying off.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,586 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,783ß
    From what I could tell, and infer from what I read, the biggest problem seems he doesn't like to get hit, it's why he's an wild animal in practice but a sheep in games (imo). If they can get him used to getting hit and not worrying about it he should be fine(again imo).

But the idea that he's transitioning into the NFL and then having to constantly learn a playbook is definitely going to make the problem that much harder.
  9. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +408 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    98ß
    Ahh, that would explain a lot. If you start hearing footsteps it doesn't matter how great the catches you make in shorts are because the footsteps in the NFL are loud and heavy. I hope he can get over that because I'd love to have him live up to his potential next to Bennett. He better lose that fear in a hurry, because people like Greenwell are going to come in and do his job for him.
  10. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    This is the great thing about Emery running the team. If you don't get better, they bring in someone who will probably be better. Then if you don't improve due to the competition, you get replaced.

Lots different than the Lovie/JA days!!
    • Like Like x 1
  11. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,586 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,783ß
    yep unlike Fendi Greenwell and other guys that played in college are used to getting hit so it won't bother him. I'd love to see Fendi succeed, multiple teams have seen the talent he has, but didn't have room to let him develop; but if this group of O coaches cannot get it out of him, I don't think many can/will.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +408 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    98ß
    He's in the best position I can imagine. It's an offense brimming with talent with a talented QB running the show and a very smart HC who controls the offense. Trest is going to get the most out of anyone. There's so much talent around Fendi he won't ever have to be the focal point and he's going to have very favorable match-ups. He's also fighting for one of the few openings considering the other positions and has been given the green light. It's do or die for the most part.
  13. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +2,266 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,659ß
    Are you talking about Onobun or Greenwall?
  14. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,586 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,783ß
    kinda both BiH, but specifically about Fendi. He was a b-baller transitioned to the NFL, so he's not used to getting hit, and from what I can tell(i'm not at TC so just going off reports) he's a beast, he catches everything, but watching it in pre season it never showed at all, i'm just assuming that is the problem.
  15. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +919 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,081ß
    Doesnt like to get hit, Um .... Maybe he should look for a new profession because this is football 101
  16. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +2,266 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,659ß
    gotchya. ok, so you are speculating at that being the reason he does not show up. Hopefully, you are wrong with that, because I've never seen a guy that does not like to get hit all of a sudden jump into the fray. They keep tending to avoid the physicality of the game and you can't do that and be good.
  17. dachuckster

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    If Fendi played power forward in basketball, he is no stranger to contact. Depending on the level of competition, playing close in to the basket can be very physical. It is not the same as football but it can be pretty violent. So I wouldn't expect him to be shy on hitting/getting hit.

In any event, we'll see soon enough how he performs.
  18. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,586 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,783ß
    buddy I played PF in B-Ball, and I played football(nothing more then rec league stuff) but let me tell you, there is a BIG difference it contact in b-basketball, and getting tackled by a guy that wants to remove you from the field. I could play B-Ball every day all summer from 5pm-8-9pm at night and not be sore or hurt from contact, but everytime I played football, even I hurt the next day, even if it was just practice.

something I didn't like seeing in that report was Carey fumbled. Good to hear that he's football fast, even if he's not track fast though. But if he cannot hold on to the ball around a bunch of rookies, then he's going to have trouble finding the field on Sundays.

didn't like hearing that Fales had a funking throwing motion or that he was inaccurate, not what the scouting reports said about him. But did like hearing that he was getting the verbiage correct, might just be his head is swimming w/information, lets hope.

Good to hear that Lynch is looking good out there.

Good to hear that Jones looks the part also, and Hurst looks like he's improving also.
  19. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +408 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    98ß
    Hearing Carey put the ball on the ground was concerning for sure. Perhaps just one of those things and the exception rather than the norm. Wasn't he touted for ball security? Let's hope it was a fluke.

Didn't like hearing that about Fales either. I hope the inaccuracy was, as you said, due to a whirlwind of information. Maybe Trest can go to work on him with that throwing movement, honestly if you can fix that perhaps his arm strength becomes better? I'm not well versed in all things quarterback but "pushing" the ball can't be as effective as the proper motion, can it? Perhaps there's more arm strength there then previously thought? Just a thought.

I think Lynch could provide us with a good power back to complement Forte/Carey if all goes well. How nice would it be to have a 3-headed monster? We'll see, they're both rooks.
  20. dachuckster

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    I didn't mean it was the same or that BBall is anywhere near to football when it comes to contact or violence. Just that he is used to contact, being pushed around and being knocked down. I also played both sports. I had more head injuries in BBall than I did in football (lost teeth, broken nose, concussion). So BBall can be plenty tought ... especially when you are going to dig out a loose ball.