NYJ Eying McCown as Geno Insurance

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by little bear, Feb 24, 2014.

1. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +683 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    363ß
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-backup-plan-beats-qb-mccown-article-1.1698894

New York Jets are eying Bears QB Josh McCown
    INDIANAPOLIS – The Jets may be cautiously optimistic that Geno Smith will make strides in his second season with an upgrade of skill-position talent around him, but the organization is preparing to have a solid contingency plan in place if he falters.

The Daily News has learned that the Jets are eying Bears quarterback Josh McCown in free agency to provide a viable alternative in case Smith regresses. McCown, coming off an impressive season that included five starts in relief of an injured Jay Cutler, is expected to draw a fair amount of interest when free agency begins on March 11. The Jets, who are expected to release Mark Sanchez next month, believe McCown would be a quality backup.

The Jets’ brain trust never truly viewed David Garrard as a viable option when Smith struggled midway through last season. Matt Simms, the No. 2 signal-caller on the depth chart, was even less experienced than Smith.

Sanchez’s impending departure has fueled speculation about possible replacements. The News has learned that a reunion between Eagles quarterback Michael Vick and offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg, who worked together for four seasons in Philadelphia, is unlikely.

Texans signal-caller Matt Schaub, who is expected to be released, would be a quality option, but sources told The News that he isn’t interested in being Smith’s backup.

McCown, who will turn 35 this summer, boosted his stock with a 109.0 passer rating, 13 touchdown passes and only one interception in 2013. He went 3-2 while Cutler was out with a groin injury. The 6-4, 213-pound veteran has 38 career starts for five teams in 11 seasons.

McCown is expected to draw serious interest from a handful of teams.
    McCown, in many ways, makes sense for a team bent on giving Smith every chance to be the Week 1 starter in 2014. With Ryan coaching for his job (given his de facto one-year contract extension last month), the Jets will not hesitate to pull the plug on Smith during the season if the team’s decision-makers believe he isn’t the guy to lead them into the future.

Smith’s improved ball security late in the season – he committed only three of his 25 turnovers in the final five games – has given the organization reason for optimism. The consensus among the team’s decision-makers is that Smith has the ability to take the next step with an improved cast around him on offense. To that end, the Jets will make a push to improve the skill positions in free agency and the draft.

However, they’re going to make sure they have a legitimate veteran quarterback that can be a short-term solution if Smith regresses.

On the surface, Sanchez may actually be the Jets’ best option, but people in the organization don’t believe that general manager John Idzik wants any part of Round 2 of Sanchez vs. Smith. By any objective measure, Sanchez beat out Smith in the preseason competition last summer before the fifth-year quarterback suffered a season-ending shoulder injury in the second half of the third preseason game.

People in the organization believe that Idzik has little to gain and plenty to lose if Sanchez, who was drafted by Idzik’s predecessor, Mike Tannenbaum, outshines his own second-round pick in the preseason again.

“John can’t have Sanchez succeed (as a member of the Jets),” said a team insider.

Sanchez is expected to be released before his $2 million roster bonus is due in late March. The Sanchez camp met with the Jets on Friday at the NFL scouting combine, but the team hasn’t conveyed concrete plans for his future, according to people familiar with the meeting.

Sanchez, four months removed from shoulder surgery, is throwing with “good velocity” during his rehab in Southern California, according to a source. He is scheduled to return to the Jets facility this week to be examined by team trainers.

The organization would like to secure a veteran free agent quarterback before cutting ties with Sanchez, according to sources.

The Jets will have more than $35 million of salary cap space after Sanchez and wide receiver Santonio Holmes are released.

--------------------
  2. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +281 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    I'm hoping that McCown only leaves if he has either a buttload of money to be a back-up or a chance to start.

Either way he has deserved his pay day, just hope we can be the one he signs with.
  3. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,428 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    351ß
    Ugh, as a Jets fan, I do NOT want this. We have the WORST receiving corp in the league, and the o-line has taken a step back. Good for McCown if he makes more money, but everyone will start to say last year was a "fluke", and while that may be accurate to an extent, it will have more to do with scheme than talent. I would much prefer the Jets to draft Garafolo.

Also this: If they DO take him, the Bears had better draft that Janine Galapagos guy.
  4. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +345 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    66ß
    With Cutler's contract, I do not believe the Bears will be able to outpay other teams for McCown. He's not going to be back.
  5. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,717 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    514ß
    Meh, only reason this gets out is to get as much as you can from the Bears. He isn't going anywhere. There are reasons why stories leak out
    • Like Like x 1
  6. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,086 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    111ß
    Exactly. McCown will be re-signed.
  7. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,697 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    640ß
    TB is also very interested apparently, and that is to compete w/Glennon for the starting job. If McCown is smart, and the money is similar he'd go to TB.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +345 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    66ß
    Tampa is where I think he's got the best opportunity, close to home, and former coach Lovie is there. I've thought Houston is another option to help with whatever QB they draft.
  9. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +345 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    66ß
    I don't see how you guys are so sure he's going to stay here.
  10. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,428 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    351ß
    Because, all right? Just because.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,717 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    514ß
    Because he wants to stay here. He said so. He just wants every penny the Bears can afford to give him
  12. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,086 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    111ß
    I'm not naive enough to deny that money talks, but any QB that would prefer to play in a Lovie-offense over a Trestman one wouldn't be the sharpest knife n the drawer IMO. And I find it hard to believe that McCown is going to "start" anywhere in the NFL week 1 next year. He's a career backup who's 35 years old and benefitted last year from a unique and ideal system and surrounding cast. Any HC who would start JM over their young, experience-needy 2nd year prospect (Geno, Glennon) would be a moron. McCown would be the mentor/backup only in those situations and maybe just maybe would "start" later on if the young guy had flopped and the season was in the bag anyway. I doubt McCown is starting anywhere on September 8th unless its due to injury to the 1st stringer.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,086 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    111ß
    That's my view of it to. And I don't blame JM for wanting to be paid whatever he can squeeze out of Emery. He was a steal last season at $875k and the Bears would be stupid to not pay him reasonable coin given what he adds on and off the field.
  14. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,697 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    640ß
    MP, again this isn't just about Trestman O or Lovie O, Hell no offense, but Lovie wants his O to do exactly what McCown did; play ball control safe offense.

Everyone, every FA says he wants to stay where he is; in this instance I believe McCown, but I don't think that means he's not going to entertain offers; all reports are that if he's offered an oppertunity to start he'd think about that job; and why wouldn't he? Think this guy honestly believes he's only good in Chicago? Think that's what a pro athelete believes; that he can only play in 1 place in 1 system? That's not the mentality that got them to the pro's.

More then likely McCown ends up back w/the Bears, but I don't think it's a 100% given thing; and I don't think Trestman would tell McCown NOT to go if there is a shot at starting on another team.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,118 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    414ß
    FWIW, McCown will be a starting QB here in Chicago for at least a few games. Cutler hasn't completed a season in ages. He has mentioned moving his family to the area. He'll get a decent offer from the Bears. Only a crazy-man would play QB for Lovie Smith, rather than play for Trestman with a pot full of weapons on offense like we have now. In Tampa, McCown would quickly see his career end. In Chicago, he may have a couple of decent years left.....and get to be a QB on a playoff caliber team.

I agree money talks, but I have to believe that all things considered, the best deal for McCown will be right here in Chicago - financial and otherwise too.
    • Like Like x 2
  16. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,717 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    514ß
    Well he did kinda say that this is the only system that works for him when he said (paraphrased) "it's nice when you finally have a system that's a fit for you"
  17. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,697 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    640ß
    except McCown ispn't playing QB for Lovie, Lovie is the DC, he's playing QB for Jeff Tedford who was a good coach for the Uof Carolina and has several qb's in the pro's, including Aaron Rodgers. He's a good OC to work under.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...f-tedford-hired-to-be-tampa-bay-buccaneers-oc

you all are acting like Chicago is the only place w/a good O minded system that can work for a WCO styel qb. Again I think he'll end up back here, but nfl qb's do not sit there and go, I can only play for this guy in this system w/these group of talent around me.
  18. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,118 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    414ß
    I just figure "all things considered" including the money, McCown will probably have a better situation ending his career in Chicago. I could be wrong. We'll know pretty soon either way though.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,086 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    111ß
    JABF, when I'm referring to McCown "starting", I'm referencing him being named the 1st stringer, not taking over the job due to injury (or even due to the guy ahead of him flopping badly a la Schaub last year). The former isn't going to happen....anywhere IMO. The latter may (and probably will in Chicago since you're right about Jay's injury history). Any other NFL team that is QB-needy should be looking to the draft not to a 35yo journeyman backup for its future.

As to your second point, yeah LOL I completely agree. They talk sometimes about certain QBs being "coach killers". Well, Lovie is the coach who is a QB-KILLER. He's inept at play calling, hiring OCs, and drafting offense. Unless Tampa threw millions above market value at him, Josh would be stupid to even return their phone calls. And he's not stupid.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +268 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    36ß
    i agree JABF, only problem is that I though Izzy would stay too...
    • Like Like x 1