NYJ Eying McCown as Geno Insurance

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by little bear, Feb 24, 2014.

1. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,474 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    504ß
    Ric, Lovie is the HC and de facto vice-GM there. Whatever offensive fire Tampa has been able to cobble together, Lovie will quickly throw a wet blanket on.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,030 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,730ß
    It's a bit overwhelming to look at all of the needs the team has this off-season. A number of key parts of the team are broken and need fixing (probably more stuff than we will be able to completely fix this year). The backup QB position is one thing that doesn't need fixing. Why start fixing stuff that isn't broken?

I've got to believe the Bears will find a way to bring McCown back, and maybe for more than one season too. We may see them offer Josh more than a one year deal here. Yes, he's an older QB. But clearly, in this offense, he's going to be just fine for a few more years as a backup. When Jay goes down to injury (and he will) then we have a guy who flourishes in the Trestman offense, and who can continue to keep things afloat until Cutler comes back from injury.

I just don't see the Jets or Tampa situation as being a good fit for McCown - now that he's at the end of his career. I don't see either team throwing crazy money at Josh. I don't. And in Chicago, I could see McCown getting to start in meaningful games, and maybe even playoff games. That HAS to be appealing to McCown. I'm not looking forward to Josh getting starting time here, but I am resigned to the fact the backup QB in Chicago is going to get starting time most years.

[​IMG]
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,586 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,783ß
    I think the Bears will go into this situation the exact way they did most of their FA moves, they'll have a price on McCown and say this is what we can offer you; then it will be up to McCown to take less money w/less oppertunity.

And if he doesn't leave we'll never know what he could have done; and neither will he, which is why he MIGHT decide to go elsewhere. And I don't think Lovie purposefully put a wet blanket on the O, I just think he couldn't get the OC right, and the OL crumbled before they could realise it. The bigger question does he have the ability to learn from the Bears problems, and if so can he correct the issues.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +409 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    141ß
    That's exactly the situation the Jets are describing with Geno. McCown would be a great fit as a backup in a number of places because he does not expect to start, and is willing to take the backseat to mentor the young guy that team is trying to develop into their starter.

If you are McCown, and the Bears can offer you at most a 1 year 2 million dollar deal, or Tampa can offer you a 4 million dollar a year deal for two years with 2 million as a signing bonus, would you stay where you are a great fit or follow the money? He's at the end of his career. It's not like if he goes to Tampa and is terrible that will mess up his legacy in the NFL. He is saying all the right things (I love Chicago, I might retire...) to get other teams to want to pay more to get him away from us.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,275 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    222ß
    This might be where that extra 5% cap keeps JM here.
  6. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    157ß
    im pretty sure we agree on a 2 or 3-y contract with Josh with lots of little perks
    • Like Like x 1
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,030 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,730ß
    I'm wondering the same thing regarding Lovie. If he can learn and evolve then he could do well in Tampa.
  8. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +409 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    141ß
    I would love to have McCown back here. I've liked him since 2011. But Cutler is, what, 22 million of our cap number this year, and we don't have a defense anymore.

If I remember correctly, a vet minimum backup behind Cutler would cost towards the cap whatever the difference is between the 51st player's salary and that vet's contract. So say that guy is making 400K, and the vet QB's minimum salary is like 800K, We'd be looking at like 400-500K tops towards the cap. We bring back McCown at 2 million, which is a low number, that is 2 million towards the cap because we don't get that vet minimum cap dealie to lower the number.

Combine that with the money other teams, like Tampa and the NYJ, have available because their rookies are on rookie deals, I don't see how McCown comes back here. Emery turned his back on Urlacher and Izzy without a moment's hesitation because he didn't want to spend the money on them. He could be looking at Jordan Palmer and thinking he can take the risk.
  9. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +976 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    562ß
    Out of eight games he played in last year, he had 224 attempts. That's 28 attempts per game. He only started 5 games, meaning in can in after it started.
    If you ask me, Trestman played him more as a passer than someone who needs to handle the ball off.

So why would Lovie like this guy? Also, lets not forget he was throwing to a couple of HUGE receivers. Bennett, Jefferies, and Marshall are monsters! I just wish Cutler had the vision like McCown had to find them wide open.

Why would Lovie want him as a starter? Hell, with Lovie, McCown was on a dead end trip to washing windows or coaching Pop-Warner.
  10. Ski-Whiz

Ratings:
    +976 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    562ß
    I don't think McCown wants to learn a new system, if he doesn't have to. Remember he is in a postion where he doesn't have to play. If he fits in Chicago, and they pay him, I'm willing to bet he stays, rather than make who knows how much more money, but in a new system/City/coaching mindset.

Here he could last another two years or so. One back-up year in NY could be his last in the NFL. I'd rather take to smaller pay days, than one decent pay day. I think he will stay here.

Just like Tillman, we almost have to push the guy away to have him not re-sign.
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,030 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,730ß
    Those are all good points. But I don't think they'll see this as a similar situation to Urlacher or Izzy. If there is 1 position on an NFL team that your season depends on more than any other it is probably the QB position. How much is a year or season worth to a franchise? Is it worth a $2mil insurance policy like McCown? That is the question Emery has to ask himself. How much is a season worth? Is it worth entrusting to a proven player who we know can win games when Jay Cutler is injured? Or, is it okay to pay a vet minimum to a guy you hope can win? I'm not saying McCown is the only way to go here. I'm not saying a youngster, or a vet who'd make the minimum isn't the way to go. Maybe it is. But the question for Emery is how much is it worth to KNOW you have a PROVEN guy, whom can keep your season going when Jay is out, as he is every year. My gut feeling is that he'll pay $2 mil. I'll bet Josh would take that to stay here. But, I could be totally wrong.
  12. Ski-Whiz

Ratings:
    +976 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    562ß
    Also, just because he finished 3-2 as a starter, he didn't lose those games. I can't remember, but the only games we really lost were from the defense. I think Cutler blew some games, but McCown was MONEY for us when he played. I don't know of any other QB that has stepped in as a backup, and the offense actually did better from the start.

Maybe Frank Reich from the Bills? The Williams QB on the Redskins in the 80s? It just doesn't happen.

If you remember we started throwing the minute McCown took his first snap. That HAS to say something about the connection Trestman and McCown have.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,586 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,783ß
    ball control doesn't automatically mean run the ball; it means protect the ball, which is what McCown did. He threw short safe passes and moved the chains, that's all the WCO an Lovie wants. And I don't think learning a new system would come into it as much as an extra 1-2 years and an 2-3 mil along w/the legit option of starting.
  14. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +409 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    141ß
    You have a lot of great reasons for keeping McCown. But when I keep seeing articles like "Bears still hoping to keep McCown" and "Trestman hopes to keep McCown", I'm seeing that as Emery laying down his "Well, we tried to keep him, but we just couldn't afford him" line like he did with Urlacher. At least he's not on record saying he will welcome McCown back with open arms.

I would have thought keeping a Tampa-2 experienced MLB like Roach or even Urlacher would have been a high priority to keep the continuity on defense going since Tucker wasn't a Lovie cover-2 guy and couldn't possibly develop a rookie into a scheme he was unfamiliar with so quickly, but we let them walk pretty easily. This was for our starting MLB, who is the QB on defense. Emery let that position be "covered" by a higher draft pick and a 1 million dollar pickup in DJ Williams. I think Emery will be just fine with a vet minimum #2 QB.

I bet McCown can get 4 million on the open market as a backup with the ability to start and mentor for a number of teams who don't have much money tied up in the QB position. No matter what he thinks about this team, he was successful last year and is in a unique situation where QB depth in the NFL is very low. Teams don't have a starting QB, let alone an adequate backup. If he passes up this money, good for us, but he's going to be passing up a lot of dough.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,613 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    673ß
    To be fair, Ric, there's not exactly another system close to being as good as ours in the NFL. If you say that and think "WTF is this idiot talking about?" I will first call you a c*******er and then remind you that Peyton Manning directs his offense and then also remind you that Brandon Marshall + Alshon Jeffery + Matt Forte + Bennett >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Tebow >>>>>>>> Denver's offensive line.

If you disagree with that, then you are a f**f**king ***hole *iting di**fa** co**master and should throw yourself off a cliff and in front of a car getting hit by a train.

(That's to anyone who disagrees with this post, not necessarily to Ric)
  16. short faced bear

Ratings:
    +1,275 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    222ß

I think this system is ideal for a qb with a good football I.Q. It is indeed a bit rare to get that kind of production.

I also miss Ski's previous avatar :cry:
  17. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,030 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,730ß
    Man, a guy gets a classy new avatar and all of a sudden the power goes to his head :)
    • Like Like x 1
  18. short faced bear

Ratings:
    +1,275 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    222ß

Whaaat? No "eat a bag of di**s reference?" Utterly shocking. :bouncelaugh:
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    102ß
    We shouldn't forget that Vick is also being eyed by the Jets
  20. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,613 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    673ß
    The Vick to the Jets thing is just a rumor from the Jets' version of Jay Mariotti. I wouldn't put very much stock into that one.