NYJ Eying McCown as Geno Insurance

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by little bear, Feb 24, 2014.

1. The Benjamin

The Benjamin
    Expand Collapse
    George Halas
    Staff Member

Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Because he wants to stay here. He said so. He just wants every penny the Bears can afford to give him

2. MPbears68

MPbears68
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Famer

I'm not naive enough to deny that money talks, but any QB that would prefer to play in a Lovie-offense over a Trestman one wouldn't be the sharpest knife n the drawer IMO. And I find it hard to believe that McCown is going to "start" anywhere in the NFL week 1 next year. He's a career backup who's 35 years old and benefitted last year from a unique and ideal system and surrounding cast. Any HC who would start JM over their young, experience-needy 2nd year prospect (Geno, Glennon) would be a moron. McCown would be the mentor/backup only in those situations and maybe just maybe would "start" later on if the young guy had flopped and the season was in the bag anyway. I doubt McCown is starting anywhere on September 8th unless its due to injury to the 1st stringer.

• Like Like x 2
  3. MPbears68

MPbears68
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Famer

That's my view of it to. And I don't blame JM for wanting to be paid whatever he can squeeze out of Emery. He was a steal last season at $875k and the Bears would be stupid to not pay him reasonable coin given what he adds on and off the field.

4. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

MP, again this isn't just about Trestman O or Lovie O, Hell no offense, but Lovie wants his O to do exactly what McCown did; play ball control safe offense.

Everyone, every FA says he wants to stay where he is; in this instance I believe McCown, but I don't think that means he's not going to entertain offers; all reports are that if he's offered an oppertunity to start he'd think about that job; and why wouldn't he? Think this guy honestly believes he's only good in Chicago? Think that's what a pro athelete believes; that he can only play in 1 place in 1 system? That's not the mentality that got them to the pro's.

More then likely McCown ends up back w/the Bears, but I don't think it's a 100% given thing; and I don't think Trestman would tell McCown NOT to go if there is a shot at starting on another team.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

FWIW, McCown will be a starting QB here in Chicago for at least a few games. Cutler hasn't completed a season in ages. He has mentioned moving his family to the area. He'll get a decent offer from the Bears. Only a crazy-man would play QB for Lovie Smith, rather than play for Trestman with a pot full of weapons on offense like we have now. In Tampa, McCown would quickly see his career end. In Chicago, he may have a couple of decent years left.....and get to be a QB on a playoff caliber team.

I agree money talks, but I have to believe that all things considered, the best deal for McCown will be right here in Chicago - financial and otherwise too.

• Like Like x 2
  6. The Benjamin

The Benjamin
    Expand Collapse
    George Halas
    Staff Member

Well he did kinda say that this is the only system that works for him when he said (paraphrased) "it's nice when you finally have a system that's a fit for you"

7. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

except McCown ispn't playing QB for Lovie, Lovie is the DC, he's playing QB for Jeff Tedford who was a good coach for the Uof Carolina and has several qb's in the pro's, including Aaron Rodgers. He's a good OC to work under.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...f-tedford-hired-to-be-tampa-bay-buccaneers-oc

you all are acting like Chicago is the only place w/a good O minded system that can work for a WCO styel qb. Again I think he'll end up back here, but nfl qb's do not sit there and go, I can only play for this guy in this system w/these group of talent around me.

8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

I just figure "all things considered" including the money, McCown will probably have a better situation ending his career in Chicago. I could be wrong. We'll know pretty soon either way though.

• Like Like x 1
  9. MPbears68

MPbears68
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Famer

JABF, when I'm referring to McCown "starting", I'm referencing him being named the 1st stringer, not taking over the job due to injury (or even due to the guy ahead of him flopping badly a la Schaub last year). The former isn't going to happen....anywhere IMO. The latter may (and probably will in Chicago since you're right about Jay's injury history). Any other NFL team that is QB-needy should be looking to the draft not to a 35yo journeyman backup for its future.

As to your second point, yeah LOL I completely agree. They talk sometimes about certain QBs being "coach killers". Well, Lovie is the coach who is a QB-KILLER. He's inept at play calling, hiring OCs, and drafting offense. Unless Tampa threw millions above market value at him, Josh would be stupid to even return their phone calls. And he's not stupid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. a_miljan

a_miljan
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

i agree JABF, only problem is that I though Izzy would stay too...

• Like Like x 1