NYJ Eying McCown as Geno Insurance

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by little bear, Feb 24, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,085 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    3,491ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Those are all good points. But I don't think they'll see this as a similar situation to Urlacher or Izzy. If there is 1 position on an NFL team that your season depends on more than any other it is probably the QB position. How much is a year or season worth to a franchise? Is it worth a $2mil insurance policy like McCown? That is the question Emery has to ask himself. How much is a season worth? Is it worth entrusting to a proven player who we know can win games when Jay Cutler is injured? Or, is it okay to pay a vet minimum to a guy you hope can win? I'm not saying McCown is the only way to go here. I'm not saying a youngster, or a vet who'd make the minimum isn't the way to go. Maybe it is. But the question for Emery is how much is it worth to KNOW you have a PROVEN guy, whom can keep your season going when Jay is out, as he is every year. My gut feeling is that he'll pay $2 mil. I'll bet Josh would take that to stay here. But, I could be totally wrong.

2. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,214 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,076ß
    Also, just because he finished 3-2 as a starter, he didn't lose those games. I can't remember, but the only games we really lost were from the defense. I think Cutler blew some games, but McCown was MONEY for us when he played. I don't know of any other QB that has stepped in as a backup, and the offense actually did better from the start.

Maybe Frank Reich from the Bills? The Williams QB on the Redskins in the 80s? It just doesn't happen.

If you remember we started throwing the minute McCown took his first snap. That HAS to say something about the connection Trestman and McCown have.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,123 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,480ß
    ball control doesn't automatically mean run the ball; it means protect the ball, which is what McCown did. He threw short safe passes and moved the chains, that's all the WCO an Lovie wants. And I don't think learning a new system would come into it as much as an extra 1-2 years and an 2-3 mil along w/the legit option of starting.

4. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +513 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    273ß
    You have a lot of great reasons for keeping McCown. But when I keep seeing articles like "Bears still hoping to keep McCown" and "Trestman hopes to keep McCown", I'm seeing that as Emery laying down his "Well, we tried to keep him, but we just couldn't afford him" line like he did with Urlacher. At least he's not on record saying he will welcome McCown back with open arms.

I would have thought keeping a Tampa-2 experienced MLB like Roach or even Urlacher would have been a high priority to keep the continuity on defense going since Tucker wasn't a Lovie cover-2 guy and couldn't possibly develop a rookie into a scheme he was unfamiliar with so quickly, but we let them walk pretty easily. This was for our starting MLB, who is the QB on defense. Emery let that position be "covered" by a higher draft pick and a 1 million dollar pickup in DJ Williams. I think Emery will be just fine with a vet minimum #2 QB.

I bet McCown can get 4 million on the open market as a backup with the ability to start and mentor for a number of teams who don't have much money tied up in the QB position. No matter what he thinks about this team, he was successful last year and is in a unique situation where QB depth in the NFL is very low. Teams don't have a starting QB, let alone an adequate backup. If he passes up this money, good for us, but he's going to be passing up a lot of dough.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,766 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    892ß
    To be fair, Ric, there's not exactly another system close to being as good as ours in the NFL. If you say that and think "WTF is this idiot talking about?" I will first call you a c*******er and then remind you that Peyton Manning directs his offense and then also remind you that Brandon Marshall + Alshon Jeffery + Matt Forte + Bennett >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Tebow >>>>>>>> Denver's offensive line.

If you disagree with that, then you are a f**f**king ***hole *iting di**fa** co**master and should throw yourself off a cliff and in front of a car getting hit by a train.

(That's to anyone who disagrees with this post, not necessarily to Ric)

6. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,557 / 0 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    708ß

I think this system is ideal for a qb with a good football I.Q. It is indeed a bit rare to get that kind of production.

I also miss Ski's previous avatar :cry:

7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,085 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    3,491ß
    Man, a guy gets a classy new avatar and all of a sudden the power goes to his head :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,557 / 0 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    708ß

Whaaat? No "eat a bag of di**s reference?" Utterly shocking. :bouncelaugh:

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran
    SuperFan

Ratings:
    +127 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    155ß
    We shouldn't forget that Vick is also being eyed by the Jets

10. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,766 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    892ß
    The Vick to the Jets thing is just a rumor from the Jets' version of Jay Mariotti. I wouldn't put very much stock into that one.