NYJ Eying McCown as Geno Insurance

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by little bear, Feb 24, 2014.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,049 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,305ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Ski, the reason Rogers throws to open guys is b/c of the shceme, they run a lot of slants and hooks and Rogers gets the ball out before the actual break. That is ALL scheme and ALL execution of that scheme. McCown executed the WCO better then anyone could have expected him to.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,728 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    782ß
    Agreed. Especially since Cutler hasn't played a full 16 games since 2009.
    Weems=useless
    Bush=overpaid/under-performed
    Bennett=decent #3 man but still too pricey

• Like Like x 2
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,004 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    3,365ß
    This is exactly why we need to upgrade more than just our DL. The better QB's in the NFL get that ball out so fast to receivers, that it somewhat neutralizes the pass rush, even with the best DL's bringing heat. Sure, pass rush is very important, but it's not "in and of itself" going to neutralize guys like Rodgers. Better have some decent defense BEHIND that DL in today's NFL. The Seattle defense is a good example.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,763 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    867ß
    I'm not arguing here, but just pointing out that the difference between Wilson and McCown this past year is that a LOTof passes McCown threw were lobs, and we're lucky we have the receivers we do, because he should have had Cutler's 2009 or 2010 season, in a smaller sample

• Like Like x 1
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,004 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    3,365ß
    If McCown would move on, how do you feel about bringing in a similar guy (like Chad Pennington)? Now before people eat me alive on this, think about it. There are other veteran QB's in their mid to late 30's like Josh McCown, who could flourish in our system. McCown is the poster boy for this. In the past, I've figured the season was pretty much over if your starting QB goes down to injury for a lot of games. But in our present situation, I now see this doesn't have to be the case. A savvy veteran, signed to a modest contract, CAN keep our season alive. Pennington isn't much older than McCown. Would he be able to play well in this offense?

6. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,763 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    867ß
    He's got the brilliance that really doesn't have any superiors in the league, but being out of the game for a few years, and having 3 torn rotator cuff surgeries, (the second one he clearly didn't have the same arm strength afterwards, and the third one prompted him to contemplate retiring, until a torn ACL playing basketball made the decision for him) if he came back, teams would likely ONLY take him if they didn't have a guy they were hoping to develop. I could see him MAYBE making a comeback as an emergency 3rd string/helping the starter with learning type guy. I hate to say all that, but he'd be kind of a liability at this point.

With that said, I think if they brought him in to help Cutler and/or a developmental guy, that would be brilliant, as the guy was as good in film room as Peyton Manning, and seeing as Jay Cutler is as devoted to studying plays and game film as any, Pennington would probably pick up more and help him from a QB's POV than McCown could.

7. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +504 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    254ß
    Eh, it's really not fair to bring up Cutler's 2009 season with a terrible OC in Ron Turner. He couldn't even hang on as a WR coach in the NFL once we cut him. Given Cutler's weapons and line protection on offense in 2010, it's amazing that he cut his interceptions in half that year. I thought he was going to die in the Giants game that year.

McCown doesn't have a strong arm, but he knows that. Trestman knows that. And he is totally lucky that he's got the WRs that we do, because they all have a great catching radius.

I forget which game it was with all the wind, Cowboys game maybe, where the ball was a crapshoot where it was gonna go once it left McCown's hand because of the wind. But Trestman called plays where that lack of arm strength was minimized and McCown's decision making was emphasized. Ron Turner would have made McCown chuck it deep because he was so damn stupid he only knew one way to call plays, and he'd have had 30 INT by midseason.

8. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,763 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    867ß
    McCown still threw many passes that would have been intercepted had we had bad wide receivers. Cutler's 09/10 season is relevant because, with far superior talent, he still threw more.

9. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +504 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    254ß
    Wait, what? We didn't have superior talent those years. Hester was awful at protecting the ball, and Knox was occasionally running the wrong routes. Bennett had very sure hands, and Olsen was a good receiver, but no way would I say the 2009 or 2010 team had superior talent.

Cutler's interceptions in 2009 with a bad OC like Turner could have been minimized by even a marginally better OC. And that's what happened under Martz when his INTs were reduced by 50%. Turner only knew how to chuck it deep.

10. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +504 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    254ß
    I'd prefer we bring in a vet QB if we can't bring back McCown.

• Like Like x 1