O-line Starters are pretty much signed. Who fills out the rest of the roster?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by weneedmorelinemen, Feb 27, 2014.

1. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +387 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    108ß
    Bushrod - LT
    Slauson - LG
    Garza - C
    Long - RG
    Mills - RT

Boggs - backup G/C possible starting C competition

That makes six of a possible eight we carry on the roster. We still need a swing tackle, and maybe a project. Of the guys left that were Bear olinemen, I'd think Britton gets an offer soon. He made it through the year without hurting that back again and is very versatile.

I'd think Lovie/ Tice holdover James Brown is on the roster, makes it to camp, then gets let go. I think he's good enough to make an NFL roster, I just don't see a place for him on this roster anymore as a possible guard and he's not a tackle prospect.

Jon Scott is gone. Injury risk. Maybe if injuries really hits this team hard he could be back, but then again if injury hits Brown could make the team too.

To me, I see one open spot left on the roster as a project. Any thoughts who that might be?
  2. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +908 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    898ß
    Joe Long?
  3. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +157 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    45ß
    I think we will draft someone, probably on day 3 & sign a few UDFAs to compete.
  4. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +828 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    868ß
    Have to agree with Bear Jim unless a real value pick is available on day 2.:10_5_135[1]::10_5_135[1]:
    • Like Like x 1
  5. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,318 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    365ß
    Have we re-signed Britton yet?

He and McCown are about the only O FAs we have left I want back.
  6. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +387 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    108ß
    Not yet. Still hopeful he comes back.

Totally forgot about Joe Long being on the roster.
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,650 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,147ß
    We have Rogers Gaines, a massive, but raw, 24 year old LT/RT project signed to a reserve/future contract. Could this guy be our Kromer project? He spent last year with the Ravens. He has a real mean streak too. He's sounds like a guy with J'Marcus Webb size, but with a brain & who plays with focus and passion. Here's some blurbs on the guy:

Gaines (6-foot-6, 334) is a mammoth lineman with 36 1/4-inch arms and 10 5/8-inch hands. He was a two-year starter at left tackle for Tennessee State. Naturally massive man with good arm length. Quicker and more athletic than he looks (ran a 5.24 40 at the combine), despite some stiffness in his upper body. Physically dominates opponents at the FCS level, showing impressive upper body strength to latch on and control the defender. Has improved his technique over the past two seasons and didn't allow a sack in 2012... Some upside worthy of developing here.

Standing at 6’6”, Gaines is lauded for his athleticism and size, according to the NFL, which continues, “This tall, athletic left tackle dominates many of the players he faces at the FCS level with his pure size and athleticism. Gaines also shows a bit of a nasty streak at times. While he is a project, a team will likely give him a shot late in the draft based on his upside.”

[​IMG]
  8. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +387 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    108ß
    haha, I didn't even know about this guy. ey, maybe. You never know, but reading about him it sounds like a huge longshot.
  9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,650 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,147ß
    I agree, but you never know just how Kromer sees these guys. Kromer sure seems to ferret out raw players that can be made into solid oline guys. I'd love to see him do this with this guy. He sounds like a J'Marcus Webb body, but with the mental gears to actually become a good player. If nothing else, I'd be happy if he could just be a solid swing tackle for us. At 24 years of age, he could be a help to us for a number of years if Kromer could make him into a solid player.

Rumor has it that he can already tie his own shoes, which HAS to be a relief to Cutler :-)
  10. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +289 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß
    36and a 1/4 reach, wow!!

I'm just glad Kromer is still here. A full off season with his returning o-line. Last year it seemed that the running game was getting better towards the end of the season. Run blocking was improving, hope that continues, because they were pretty bad in the beginning of the year.
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,650 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,147ß
    With this new coaching staff in place, there are two things I'm excited about:

1. Watching Trestman develop a young stud QB in Chicago.

2. Watching Kromer develop youngsters to fill out an offensive line, and contribute there for years to come (I'm not talking about guys like Slauson, Bushrod, but young guys developed here in Chicago, like Mills, Long and the others who will be brought in to complete the project over time).
    • Like Like x 2
  12. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    +1 on Kromer!

If Mills develops into a solid reliable RT starter for the next 5+ years it bodes really well for what we will be able to do with lower round draft choices and UDFAs.

Every coaching staff has issues and makes mistakes. Hopefully we will see a stable core of 3 or 4 coaches who develop the program for the future.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,318 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    365ß
    Kromer is light years better than the clown school OCs and OL coaches we have had recently, I fully believe that. Problem is, if the Bears have another standout O year, he's almost certainly going to be hired away as a HC for some other team in 2015.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +828 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    868ß
    I was thinking the same thing reading above about how fortunate we are to have a good QB coach and OC / line Coach in Kromer. Not sure he did that well in New Orleans when Peyton was suspended for other teams to chase him for a Head Coach but eventually it will happen. Much like back ups in the players it shows the importance of asst coaches and there ability to backfill positions. Hopefully the true O-line coach under Kromer's Tutelage will be ready to stand on his own when Kromers time comes.
    • Like Like x 1