Offensive Play Calls during Pitt Game

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by tbear1, Sep 23, 2013.

1. tbear1

tbear1

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0
    The plays called in the first quarter seemed to be working. After that it was bad and the second half was just frustrating. We need to be able to move the ball and we lost the plot in the Pitt game.
  2. tbear1

tbear1

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0
    What i am trying to say is that the offensive play calling was quite offensive this week.
  3. GBlaze23

GBlaze23

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Or not so offensive play calling. What exactly in the hell are you trying to say here?
  4. mdbearz

mdbearz

Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    There was balance to it.
    The Quick passes in the beginning of the game looked great, then they tried to strech the field a little but that did not work, and the run game was bottled up, except for some big plays.
    But there was balance and it was not one demisional. Way too many times, when the run game gets bottled up, teams will completely forget about it and the defense can Blitz (the Steelers do that well), and force you into bad passes or three and out with very little time taken off the clock.

The one thing that I saw was that it was taking a long time to get the plays in and they were up against the play clock a lot last night, even when they did not want to be. I read somewhere that the intercom system was pretty bad.

Another thing was that coaches in the NFL cover thier mouths for a reason. Testman was not doing it on every play, and other teams will catch on and start to steal the calls.
  5. tbear1

tbear1

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0
    I thought it was quite clever o come out of the gate an hit Alshon an not Brandon. That threw the Steelers off balance. We moved the ball and scored points. In the second half when we needed to move the ball, I didn't see Trestman go back to what worked. (Other than Martellus to the left corner of the goal from the last two weeks.). He kept going back up the middle with the runs. I am fine with running, but it wasn't working up the middle. That nearly cost us the game. We were down to a single touchdown lead. Luckily, the defense came through with a touchdown.

We had shown we could move the ball on the offense in the first half. The Steelers defense didn't adjust as much as we stopped calling the style of plays that worked.
  6. BearJim

BearJim SuperFan

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    I think the game plan was to be conservative which IMHO was the right plan. Once we got a big early lead it made it easier to stay conservative. My biggest concern is this game was taking care of the ball against that Steeler blitz, on the road, against a desperate team & things starting to steam roll on us. We were patient & finally caught them on a few blitzes when they were in man to man coverage & made the plays to seal the deal. Don't get me wrong, I was sweating bullets thinking we might have blown the game but under the circumstances I think it was the right plan. If this game was in Chicago I think we would've attacked more in the 2nd half but we should all keep in mind the Trestman is still learning his team & they him. Each win should bring more confidence to both. Great win IMHO & lets see how it goes in the Motor City.
  7. JPosh2012

JPosh2012

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    I think the first half was good but the second half needed some improvements. My real issue with the second half was the fact that we continued to try to run up the middle, what we should have done was some outside runs. If I was Trestman I would have gone back to what worked in the first half.
  8. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    They ran too many play action passes. Too many times Cutler took way too long to get the ball out on those calls. Got to cut down on those play action calls if he doesn't plan on making a quick decision as to where to go with the ball.
    • Like Like x 1