Ok, had a day to cool off, my thoughts on the Bears situation

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Jimmors, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros SuperFan

Ratings:
    +3,333 / 8 / -0
    Losing sucks. Losing like that, REALLY sucks. Almost broke out the Chicken Little.

But, looking back on the Lions game, some thoughts:

1.Bears were over-hyped after going 3-0.
    Admit it, you all bought into it. Everything from the "Superbowl!!" to "We're ranked #5!!" talk. While 3-0 is nothing to scoff at, you have to remember HOW we won those games: by the skin of our teeth at the very last minutes. Which brings me to thought #2:

2.The Bears are getting Battle-tested.
    We knew back in January that a regime change in the coaching departments meant that it was going to be long-shot to make the playoffs this season. Most of us remained cautiously optimistic, predicting an 8-8 to 10-6 range of our record this season. Still, this not a Lovie team. 3 4th quarter victories and a 4th quarter rally in a close loss is EXACTLY what you want to see from a first year coach. The fact that this team has started 3-0 is a testament to Trestman's coaching ability. He is prepared each week for the games, and it shows. Of course, he can not play the games himself, it is still up to the players. Cue point #3:

3.We are getting a very clear picture of the players on this team.
    This is very important, since Emery took the bold move in not extending any contracts this year. We have a plethora of Free Agents-to-be after the season is done, so they are playing for their next contract (either here, or elsewhere). I dare to say it, but being exposed like we were against the Lions is a GOOD thing, it shows us what areas we need to improve, either by re-signing key players, releasing busts, or preparing for the draft. This is not a Jerry Angelo team, where all the vets are safe and secure no matter how they play, this team is fighting for their future in this league, and dead weight WILL be cut. Nice segue into point #4:

4.Speaking of Deadweight...say hello to our Bears Defense.
    I know, I know...as a Bears fan, that seems almost blasphemous. But our defense is in trouble. Sure, they can generate Takeaways like nobody's business, but they are alternating between giving up huge plays in the air and huge plays on the ground. This is not the defense I remember from 2012. Can't really say if this is because of the players we lost (Urlacher, Izzy especially), or if it's Tucker's play-calling. Maybe both. point being, without adequate pressure from our DL, our defense is in trouble. I expect Emery to address this problem in the off-season, since he has the Offense mostly in order.

5.Speaking of Offense...i still support Jay.
    Yeah, i know...the Lions loss is 75% on him (and i would chalk the other 25% to our Run D). Still, he almost had another 4th quarter comeback, making it 4 in a row, 3 of which were wins. We still have Forte doing his thing at RB, and BMarsh and AJ are shaping up to be a potent WR duo, and we can't forget the Black Unicorn himself: Bennett. Our OL has performed admirably considering 2/5ths of them are rookies, and only one of the OL (Garza) is a starter from last year. I expect them to be even better next season, as they are still working some of the kinks out. In any case...Jay has all of the weapons at his disposal, and is capable of using them. I would be very surprised of Emery does not extend his contract in the offseason.

6.This was a tough game, any way you slice it.
    Divisional opponent. One with an improved (balanced) offense. And a killer defense. On THEIR home turf. It was an ugly game, no doubt. We basically got decimated in that 2nd quarter. But 1 really bad quarter out of 16 thus far is still a pretty good batting average. I'm not excusing the loss, it was still on the team, but we should still acknowledge that it was a difficult game though. Yeah, i know..we can't be the best until we beat the best, so we still have that rematch at Soldier Field to look forward to.

7.Overall, Trestman has had a very good first "Quarter" of a season (Lovie speak).
    Trestman is a first year coach. He was bound to run into problems at some point. I just think credit should be given, where credit is due: Trestman is on the right track, and we are still in very good shape to make the playoffs, or win the Division. Going to be a little tighter now, but that says more about our division, than it does our team. NFCN is very difficult to win consistently, it always changes from year to year, thats how much parity exists in the Black and Blue. Still, I am impressed with what Trestman has brought to the table. Here is hoping Emery and Tucker can fix our defense going forward.
    • Like Like x 16
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,796 / 5 / -4
    1) agreed, I tried not to, hell I had the Bears 2-2 at best, but yep. I didn't have them going SB or winning the Div, but they definately looked better then I thought, they being the OL and Cutler, I didn't disagree in the offseason w/you about the D taking a step back, I saw this coming, but I was scurred of the OL w/two rookies on the same side and if cutler would really improve.

2) not only this, but if the team is dealing w/inj's now, if the team can be healthy come the end of the year they should be good to go if they do get into the playoffs.

3) Yep, Peppers might be a year to old, Tillman too, he's still good but he's hurt and the team isn't deep enough to just let him heal. Shea is a bust, Wootton seems to have relaxed knowing Shea is no threat, like he looked to be last year, Melton wasn't doing much and is now done for the year, Paea has stepped up big. Conte and Wright are just good players, nothing special, Anderson was a great signing. Alshon is a beast, Marshal is still Marshal and will have off games. Forte is still a stud, Bush is not the 2nd coming if Forte goes down. Long and Mills are good future pieces and Slauson and Bushrod are fine, hell even Garza is doing okay.

4) Yep no DL pressure means the Lovie D will not work, go back to those Lovie D's before Hot Rod and Peppers and this D should bring back memories. This D is predicated on pressure only from the front 4, if they cannot do it, the rest of the D will suffer, and it is. They are going to have to makes some changes.

5) I haven't lost my support of Jay, not that I had a ton. This game just solidified my belief in what he is. He cannot help himself, he can control it for awhile, but a few times a year he's going to do this to the team.

6) on espn I actually stated that I thought the team would win by a field goal, but if bad J showed up the Bears were in trouble, but thought Stafford and Suh would keep us in it. Well Suh and Stafford didn't create problems for their team, and Bad Jay showed up, so it should be no suprise the team couldn't come back.

7) hard to complain about a rookie NFL HC starting 3-1 while beating 2 previous playoff teams; even if the 1 wasn't great.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost

Ratings:
    +211 / 1 / -0
    Your previously "cheeky attitude" with me in the chat room notwithstanding, I agree with just about everything you said, Jimmors. A reasonable response to yesterday's loss. Kudos for stating the obvious, namely that this defense has serious issues and is in need of an off-season overhaul. In Emery We Trust. In a short period of time, he seems to have fixed the major offensive concerns. Now it's time for him to address the defense.
  4. shark86x

shark86x SuperFan

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    This year we addressed the offense. Next year the defense. Year after that, developmental QB and depth. Then we'll be on track. JA, Lovie and crew left us a deep hole to climb out of. It'll take more than this year to do it. But I think we're off to a great start.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +3,333 / 8 / -0
    Problem was, i thought the D regression was going to take a few years, i had no clue they would suck THIS year...i figured we still had the majority of the players, and it would give us another year or two. But damn.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,796 / 5 / -4
    Nah, I kept telling people they needed to get CB's, Safeties, LB's and DL, and everyone kept on about the OL and WR's and this and that.

The team hasn't tackled well for awhile, and it's given up big plays in chuncks, this is the same D I've been watching, just a more old.
  7. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +3,333 / 8 / -0
    Well, we desperately needed to address the OL and WR situation, and that was done. And we did pickup Jennings for CB, and has worked out great, Tillman is still good, so we only really need CBs for depth. Safeties...Wright does pretty well, and Conte is decent enough for now. Emery addressed it with Hardin, but he was an injury bust. LBs...that was addressed this year with DJ Williams and James Anderson in FA, and Bostic and Greene in the draft. Which leaves us with DL...the source of all our problems. I expect Emery to hit that hard in the off-season.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,796 / 5 / -4
    I think you're going to see S and DL and CB fixed in the FA and also in the early draft, as well as backup qb.
  9. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +3,333 / 8 / -0
    Probably. Wouldnt be surprised to see another OL in the draft either.
  10. ZifanQ

ZifanQ SuperFan

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -0
    It would be nice with a middle round Center for furture development behind Garza if he plays another year.. I preffer us to have a rookie starter at center next year but seeing how good the Oline is 4 games into the season and how awfully the defense is defense-->Center.
  11. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,796 / 5 / -4
    Could be, depends but I was talking early draft, and the next OL we get will be a mid rounder b/c it will be a C or G.
  12. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +729 / 2 / -0
    Man... I really miss Lovie at times like this. He would tell us not to worry and there was still lots of football left to play. Right now, without Lovie, I don't know.. should I worry? And is there still lots of football left to play? This is killing me....
    • Like Like x 5
  13. shark86x

shark86x SuperFan

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    BiH, hey man, nothing to worry about. The coaches will look at the film and tweak a few things. They'll have the team ready for the next game. They like who we have and they're working hard to get better. Through the first quarter we're 3-1, there's still a lot of football left to play, and they like where we're at. As far as the injuries, they'll look at the medical report and the depth players will have to step up for any guys who are unable to go. Again, they like who we have on the team and there shouldn't be any drop off to the second or third string guys. We're in first place, except for a tie breaker, and the coaches expect to get that back with a win over Detroit at home.

So no worries.
  14. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +729 / 2 / -0

Shark -- I have a warped sense of humor. I was being facitious and sarcastic. I should have used a smiley face!

I was just making fun of the way Lovie used to tell us not to worry and then tell us there was lots of football left to play while Tice was crapping his pants behind him.

I was just poking fun about how am I ever going to get by without that!
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  15. shark86x

shark86x SuperFan

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Oh I KNEW that, that's why I played along... ;)
  16. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +729 / 2 / -0
    Got me!
  17. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,508 / 0 / -0
    Will the sun even come up in the morning? :)
  18. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +729 / 2 / -0
    Crap. I forgot about that. Now I have that to worry about too.....
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Nakoma1

Nakoma1

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0

PREACH IT ! ! !
  20. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears

Ratings:
    +362 / 0 / -0
    Good news for you if you really do live in Texas. You can go to his house and he can give you the famous blank stare if makes you feel better. Makes me feel better knowing he's in Texas far from the Bears even after this crappy lose, because I still remember last years SanFran game now that sucked. Talk about feeling demoralized, violated and abused I sure don't feel that way after this one. Maybe it's being naive but I feel much better having Willy Wonka in this situation then good ol' numb nuts staring at me looking for directions back to Halas Hall.