Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement! Losing sucks. Losing like that, REALLY sucks. Almost broke out the Chicken Little. But, looking back on the Lions game, some thoughts: 1.Bears were over-hyped after going 3-0. Admit it, you all bought into it. Everything from the "Superbowl!!" to "We're ranked #5!!" talk. While 3-0 is nothing to scoff at, you have to remember HOW we won those games: by the skin of our teeth at the very last minutes. Which brings me to thought #2: 2.The Bears are getting Battle-tested. We knew back in January that a regime change in the coaching departments meant that it was going to be long-shot to make the playoffs this season. Most of us remained cautiously optimistic, predicting an 8-8 to 10-6 range of our record this season. Still, this not a Lovie team. 3 4th quarter victories and a 4th quarter rally in a close loss is EXACTLY what you want to see from a first year coach. The fact that this team has started 3-0 is a testament to Trestman's coaching ability. He is prepared each week for the games, and it shows. Of course, he can not play the games himself, it is still up to the players. Cue point #3: 3.We are getting a very clear picture of the players on this team. This is very important, since Emery took the bold move in not extending any contracts this year. We have a plethora of Free Agents-to-be after the season is done, so they are playing for their next contract (either here, or elsewhere). I dare to say it, but being exposed like we were against the Lions is a GOOD thing, it shows us what areas we need to improve, either by re-signing key players, releasing busts, or preparing for the draft. This is not a Jerry Angelo team, where all the vets are safe and secure no matter how they play, this team is fighting for their future in this league, and dead weight WILL be cut. Nice segue into point #4: 4.Speaking of Deadweight...say hello to our Bears Defense. I know, I know...as a Bears fan, that seems almost blasphemous. But our defense is in trouble. Sure, they can generate Takeaways like nobody's business, but they are alternating between giving up huge plays in the air and huge plays on the ground. This is not the defense I remember from 2012. Can't really say if this is because of the players we lost (Urlacher, Izzy especially), or if it's Tucker's play-calling. Maybe both. point being, without adequate pressure from our DL, our defense is in trouble. I expect Emery to address this problem in the off-season, since he has the Offense mostly in order. 5.Speaking of Offense...i still support Jay. Yeah, i know...the Lions loss is 75% on him (and i would chalk the other 25% to our Run D). Still, he almost had another 4th quarter comeback, making it 4 in a row, 3 of which were wins. We still have Forte doing his thing at RB, and BMarsh and AJ are shaping up to be a potent WR duo, and we can't forget the Black Unicorn himself: Bennett. Our OL has performed admirably considering 2/5ths of them are rookies, and only one of the OL (Garza) is a starter from last year. I expect them to be even better next season, as they are still working some of the kinks out. In any case...Jay has all of the weapons at his disposal, and is capable of using them. I would be very surprised of Emery does not extend his contract in the offseason. 6.This was a tough game, any way you slice it. Divisional opponent. One with an improved (balanced) offense. And a killer defense. On THEIR home turf. It was an ugly game, no doubt. We basically got decimated in that 2nd quarter. But 1 really bad quarter out of 16 thus far is still a pretty good batting average. I'm not excusing the loss, it was still on the team, but we should still acknowledge that it was a difficult game though. Yeah, i know..we can't be the best until we beat the best, so we still have that rematch at Soldier Field to look forward to. 7.Overall, Trestman has had a very good first "Quarter" of a season (Lovie speak). Trestman is a first year coach. He was bound to run into problems at some point. I just think credit should be given, where credit is due: Trestman is on the right track, and we are still in very good shape to make the playoffs, or win the Division. Going to be a little tighter now, but that says more about our division, than it does our team. NFCN is very difficult to win consistently, it always changes from year to year, thats how much parity exists in the Black and Blue. Still, I am impressed with what Trestman has brought to the table. Here is hoping Emery and Tucker can fix our defense going forward.