On a more positive note, how do we match up against the upcoming Bills?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Aug 24, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,032 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,733ß
    Thankfully we have the first regular season game coming soon and we can move on from the preseason turmoil. Does anyone follow the Bills at all and can tell us about the upcoming game matchup? It sure would be great to come out with a solid win in that first regular season game. I think it would placate us fans, and the players would get some momentum at the start of their regular season. Our second game against the SF 49ers will be a good measuring stick for our team this season, but it's that 1st Bills game that may set the tone for us. I'm hoping in a good way.

Anyone know much about this year's Bills team?
  2. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +2,266 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,660ß
    Haven't followed them in the preseason (I pretty much have Bears tunnel vision), but feel like we should win that game. We sure need to based on the bulk of the first half schedule.

We need to start scoring on offense and stop being as confused and tentative on defense. I have that game as a win. If we don't, I'd have to rethink how many games we will win.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,590 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,788ß
    Well we matched up well against Philly and the Jags(b/c ya know pre season is an indicator) but poorly against Sea, so unless the Bills are in the area of the Seahawks the Bears should be fine.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. strockrocks

strockrocks Veteran

Ratings:
    +218 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    31ß
    I have no facts to back this up; just a friend and an eyeball test.

We watched the Bills vs. TB yesterday together (the first half). For those that didn't watch the game, and immediately came to positive conclusions about Tampa (they were up 17-0 or so at the half), I find that impossible to do. Both offenses looked TOTALLY horrendous. The only reason TB scored was off turnovers and Josh had really good field position.

EJ Manuel seems to be regressing a bit, as the starting unit on the Bills haven't scored a TD this entire preseason (or something close to that). The fans were starting to get restless yesterday and the boos were already starting. After watching the Bears vs. Seattle the night before, and as bad as the defense looked, I would honestly say we are closer in talent to the Seahawks than either the Bills or the Bucs.

Didn't see Watkins play as his ribs are hurting.

Bears should win this game as they are playing at home and I have little faith that EJ fricking Manuel can drive down the field multiple times in a row. He's looked that bad. Spiller is good but I'm not as concerned about the running game as much as other issues.

Bills defense should be pretty good but not overly concerned.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +987 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,133ß
    This is a must-win game. I only watched the highlights on NFL.com, but I can tell you that their offense looks like crap. Really makes you wonder why Buffalo didn't take a QB early in the draft, Manuel clearly isn't the answer.

They do have weapons on both sides of the ball, but they are likely to miss the playoffs for the 15th straight year. So it shouldn't be a problem at all.

I am more concerned about week 2 against SF. Sunday night on national tv at brand new Levi's stadium, I expect the 49ers to kick our asses. Kaepernick will destroy our mediocre defense and Cutty probably will throw a couple of INTs.

If we lose both games, you can kiss the playoffs goodbye. However game one is a win, trust me.
  6. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +712 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    427ß
    Buffalo could be the worst team in football it's going to be them or Oakland. EJ Manuel is downright horrendous if the Bears don't destroy Buffalo it will be a long season for the Bears.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +917 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    767ß
    I got two guys on the bills right now. The QB isn't accurate. They have depth and skill at the running back position, Watkins is legit at wr. They had Chris Williams starting at left guard. Defensively they are pretty solid, but they have some new faces in the defensive backfield. We should win this game.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,474 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    506ß
    One of the saving graces for Tucker to get the D tuned up is that we open in RS against one of the most inept offenses in the NFL. Buffalo is BAD on O. Manuel sucks and was way over-drafted (maybe Shea and him can open a joint Facebook fan club page) and the they mortgaged the farm to draft Watkins this year since they have zero offensive weapons around him. Even though he's a rookie, I'd double him because he's pretty much it.

Buffalo has a good D but overall is a weak team so if the Bears can't beat them at home its going to be a long year.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,266 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,660ß
    If we don't beat the Bill, I will be very surprised AND concerned for how many games we will win this season. This game should be as much a gimme as any game can be in the NFL.
  10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,032 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,733ß
    This then could be the perfect opportunity for us. It's a notch above preseason, but an extremely weak opponent. Confidence seems to be a factor with winning teams and our team could use a confidence boost in this first game of our season. We don't have to bury the Bills, but just execute a better game and move on from the Seattle loss.

p.s. I realize we still have the 4th PS game to play, but the starters won't play much (or at all) in that game, so this Bills game is the first biggie on the radar now.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,266 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,660ß
    :-) ... yeah we do....
  12. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,032 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,733ß
    I'm trying to stay positive. I worry that I'll put too much pressure on us before the game if we're expecting a big win. I'll be happy if we just win. It could be the most butt-ugly win of all time, or a forfeit due to a meteorite taking out the city of Buffalo, or space aliens abducting their team. I'll take anything as long as we win :-)
  13. RochBear

RochBear Veteran

Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    131ß
    I live about 60 miles from Buffalo and follow them a bit. I think you guys might be underestimating the BUF defense. It seems very good to me. On the other hand, you all have it about right on the offense. Very NOT good. They wins games the same way the Lovie Bears did. A break here, a turnover there, and great D. IF the Bear offense can score well (>25 points?) on that D I think the Bears should win. Big if.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,474 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    506ß
    This isn't the Cincinnati Bengals we're playing here (like opening day last season). Squeaking out a late 4th Q win beats losing but isn't good enough. The Bills are a terrible O with a pretty good D that already is missing two starting LBs due to injury IIRC. This is a team that at home the Bears need to defeat handily.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. B-ell-y-iot

B-ell-y-iot Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +452 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    437ß
    I posted this back on July 22nd, before the preseason games started, but I think it's still pretty relevant. I also updated my thoughts after watching two Buffalo games and after looking through their pre-season stats. The short of it is, this will be a good first game for the Bears to see how well the offense can play against a top tier defense.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    According to the Football Database, the Buffalo Bills have yet to win a game at Soldier Field. Not that this is an important piece of information in considering the match-up this year, but it's something I'm sure Jeff Joniak will be mouthing before, during, and after the game.

Chicago Bears lead series 5-0-0
    Points Scored:
    Chicago Bears 135, Buffalo Bills 39

2013 saw the Buffalo Bills ranked 19th in total offense, 28th in passing offense and 2nd in rushing. They were ranked 10th in total defense, 4th in pass coverage, and 28th in run defense.

The Bills lost their stud 2nd year linebacker, Kiko Alonso, to an off season ACL tear. This is a huge bummer as he was third in the NFL with tackles last year racking in a total of 159 with 87 solo tackles. The Bills also lost their star safety Jairus Byrd in free agency to the New Orleans Saints.

The Bills retooled the coaching staff with Jim Schwartz and brought in Doug Marrone as their HC and Nathaniel Hackett as the OC, both Doug and Nate worked at Syacuse prior to their NFL promotion.

They still have a monstrous defensive line stacked with the likes of Mario Williams (13 sacks), Kyle Williams (10.5 sacks) and OLB Jerry Hughes (10 sacks). They picked up defensive players Brandon Spikes and Alan Branch in Free Agency and they got Mike Williams for the offense to help the 2nd year quarterback E.J Manuel. Their bold bounce up in the draft to snag Sammy Watkins (who still isn't signed) at the expense of next year's first round pick, suggests they're serious about helping EJ Manuel out. The Bills also seem to have a stout line that offers both a strong push for the run and hold for protection.

I think the Bills will offer the Bears a good season opener challenge. The first game is always unpredictable, but I would assume the Bills will try to exploit the Bear's run defense and stick to what they did well last year. This offers the Bears an opportunity to bear down and demonstrate improvement in the run game. I think that will be the case. I don't see them opening EJ up in the first game even with his new weapons and a new coaching staff unless the Bears prove they can utterly dominate on the ground (although Doug Marrone coached under Sean Payton in NO before moving to Syracuse so maybe he will try to light the sky's before bringing in theB-ell-y-iot troops).

I don't see the Bills being able to holster all the Bear's weapon even with Shwartzy running the D and its myriad warriors.Shwartzy won't allow the rampant abuse they suffered last year on the ground, and I imagine he will try to attack Cutler to the power of three to test the Bear's line and Cutler's ability to get the ball out. This will be a good game to test the 2nd year line structure and Cutler's ability to make quick decisions as he will definitely need to.

I have a hard time seeing this game as anything more than a test and a win for the Bears. The Bill's defense will be running a new system without some of its key players from a year ago. They won't be able to stifle the Bear's offense and the Bill's offense, while definitely improved from last year, won't be able to keep up with the Bear's except in their losing record at Soldier Field.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To update this post, in the preseason the Bills defense still looks dominant and their offense is a work in progress. The Bills have really worked on getting EJ comfortable playing the game and have allowed him to take 136 snaps this preseason (that's over a four game stretch, but it's still noteworthy as he's there starting QB). Manuel makes poor decisions in the passing game and he throws floaters. When you combine those two negatives in his passing game, he's going prone to be picked. Couple Manuel's negatives with a relatively weak receiving core (Mike Williams, Sammy Watkins, and Tony Moeaki) and I imagine the Bears D will get opportunities for turn overs.

CJ Spiller and Fred Jackson are a strong one two punch and they are going to be dangerous against the Bears. What the Bills lack in a passing game they make up for on the ground. Their linemen are good at making holes and the running backs are good at finding them.

Over the preseason the Bill's defense is ranked 4th overall on defense (3rd against the run and 8th against the pass). This is consistent with their performance from last year (see above). On offense, the Bills are ranked 23rd (22nd passing 13th rushing).

This should be a good test for the Bears offensively and defensively.

On offense, it all starts with the Bears line. The Bills are sack machines (Mario Williams [13 sacks], Kyle Williams [10.5 sacks]) and OLB Jerry Hughes [10 sacks]) and Jim Schwartz knows how to get pressure on the QB. The line needs to protect Cutler.

As a result of the pressure they get, the Bills are also great at making turnovers. In the Preseason, they have 5 interceptions in 4 games. So far (and they are one of only two teams to have played 4 games already) they are tied for first in interceptions in the preseason. Last year they had the second most interceptions (only behind Seattle), 23 ints. If the Bills get pressure on Cutler and if Cutler makes stupid ass decisions like he can do from time to time, the offense might be putting the defense in a difficult situation.

This is all bolstered by the Bills' run defense which encourages teams to pass on them because they are stout in the run game. I don't see Forte gashing this team. It will probably be a lot of dink and dunk ball.

On defense, the Bears have to control the run game. They should be able to commit to stopping the run as the offensive weapons aren't numerous and, as long as Tillman and Jennings play to their talent, Watkins and Williams should be limited in production. This will be a good measuring stick in grading the defensive line improvements and the scheme changes in the run game. Last year the Bears couldn't stop the run. If they can't stop the run in this game, the Bills could control things time wise and keep the Bears offense off the field.

I have faith that the Bears will pull out a victory here but I am not as convinced this is,

and I'm definitely wouldn't call them
    The onus should be on the Bears offense in this game and it will come down to smart decision making on the part of Cutler and good line play on the part of our 2nd year unit.
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Seqq34

Seqq34 Veteran

Ratings:
    +88 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    59ß
    Sea Vs. TB 2013....Sea Vs. Hou 2013...and so on...i could dig up more, but I'm pretty sure they DON'T have to "bury" the Bills LoL they just have to win...

Sorry if i didn't pick up some sarcasm LoL it's been a wonderful day of Heinekens and smoked meats...has my mind distracted
  17. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    We're a better team and it's a home opener. Will we play the better game? Stay tuned for further developments.
  18. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,266 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,660ß
    This is the most plausible explanation as to what happened to Emerys defense.
  19. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,266 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,660ß
    I'm jealous. I just took a break to replace my steering box and I have to tell you, I took one hell of a "sweat shower" in this Houston heat and humidity. Brutal out there.
  20. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,266 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,660ß
    Man... don't do that to me. Do NOT take off my Bears blinders. I have to believe we can beat the Bills or it's going to bum me out for the next two weeks.