Opinions...

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by PhilM, Sep 29, 2013.

1. PhilM

PhilM Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    So... I didn't get the chance to watch the Bears-Lions game. I had to settle for listening to it on chicagobears.com.

I've noticed something with the Bears through the years, and I noticed it again today. Why all the runs up the middle with Forte? I'm so, so sick of hearing "Forte up the middle for one yard, which brings up 3rd and 8". I know he had a good game today, but, for the big picture, why do we keep doing the same crap in the running game over and over? Forte up the middle for no gain. Forte up the middle for one yard. Maddening.

I thought Trestman would bring some fresh, exciting ideas to our offense.

So... the question that I'd like your opinion on.... Is a big part of our offensive problems STILL about bad coaching / lack of imagination?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,022 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    44ß
    Personally, right now, I think we would be 0-4 with Lovie. Those Cutler comebacks would not have happened under Tice.

I have no doubt Trestman is a much superior coach than Lovie. But we dropped in D and ST. And I have not seen the creativity I expected from Trestman. MUCH, MUCH better than Tice. Worlds apart. But I have not seen any WOW! THAT BLEW MY MIND kind of stuff either. However, I temper that by understanding that the players are still trying to digest the basics of his offense and the other stuff comes later. Everyone (myself included) want to see the big guns every week. It just takes time.

IMO, we are much better off. Right now, my opinion is that if there is any bad coaching going on right now, I'm looking at the D. I don't think ST is badly coached. We just happened to have one of the very best before. I think ST is ok. Not special (ok, pun intended), but good. Jury is out on the D. We have much more talent than is showing up on the field. To me, that is coaches.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,479 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    299ß
    I agree BiH, the D wouldn't be as bad, but it'd still be a notch below what we have now b/c we'd have BU and Roach and wouldn't have got Williams and Anderson, Anderson has been the best LB on the team so far.

The O would be terrible b/c I don't believe he would have sent Webb packing we'd still have Carimi and Webb starting on this team. No way he lets a Rookie like Mills start at tackle.
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,022 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    44ß
    Boy, that's the truth. They's have to issue barf bags for Bears fans to have watched that game.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +447 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    49ß
    Look at pictures of Cutler this morning has me wondering what was up with him physically. Whether it was his diabetes or loss of sleep his eyes looked sunken. Did he have any sleep the night before not making excuses just observation. I didn't see him take any hard head shoots during the game so not sure was concussed effect, I just hope it isn't related to his diabetes.

The D line still has me more concerned.
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Tt's been said that the players always reflect the coaches persona ,, WELL THEN When are Phil & Trestman going to light a fire UNDER TUCKER's LAZY AZZ No the d didn't lose this game completely , BUT I am tired of seeing this team getting gashed for the yardage they are giving up

The Turnovers were clearly the difference in this game

And why are the Bears messing with Pod's punting style ,??? they shortened his alignment to the center ,..sure he may be getting the ball off quicker but with no hang time,... there is no coverage

BearsinHOUSTON ,... No doubt there

to the OP

NO DOUBT there and a nail on the head,.. the end arounds and toss outs seemed to have been working.

IMO the Bears got greedy,... and disrespectful as well of the Lion's D,... after Forte's TD dash. Then they seemed go away from with what put them on the scoreboard ,,..

the Online did well considering
    Two of the sacks were on Cutler

I did call a trap game here and for once,.... I'm glad they had it stuck to them.

The Bears did not show up
    • Like Like x 2
  7. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,479 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    299ß
    Nak, the way Forte started that game, for him to have less then 20 touches is inexcusable.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:

AGREED ! ! ! !

Forte should be rushing the ball 20 -25 times a game,.... AND not up the gut
    • Like Like x 1
  9. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +998 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    With the way we were having success attacking the edges (Forte's TD, Jeffery's run) I wondered why Trestman was then calling so many between the tackles runs? Against a stout DL too.
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Adibear

Adibear Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    and its also...
  11. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    LOL Yea reach for the diabetes excuse to explain away a clueless performance from a supposed 'franchise QB.' He looked like shit because that's what he is in reality, in terms of an NFL QB.
  12. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,479 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    299ß
    Trestman said Cutler had received an IV, but he wasn't sick, no excuses from the coach or the QB. Both said the 4 turn overs were what cost the team that game.
  13. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,257 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    148ß
    The turnovers were the obvious culprit, but I remain steadfast in stating that the impact the crowd noise had on the offense made a difference. You were constantly seeing guys have to adjust one another, and offensive linemen tap one another. While that's likely a league wide thing, I honestly think that between the Lions d-line and the crowd, that line wasn't giving Cutler any favors. That still doesn't account for his holding onto the ball too long, but the offense, while showing that a comeback after halftime was not impossible, could never get into rhythm, and the turnovers just made it that much worse on paper. Did the Lions deserve to win? Absolutely, but they shouldn't be able to drop 40 points on the defense.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,022 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    44ß
    Well, the rational was that they had to go to the pass because they were behind. My response would be "You just had a 53 yard running play. How many of our passing plays were 53 yards? We seems to be able to run on them. Do it."
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,022 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    44ß
    Really, I think that pressure has changed Jay's game from when he first got here. And although the pressure was not bad (the OL did a good job), the pressure in Jays head is the only pressure that counts. He played like he had no time on a few of those. He didn't set.
  16. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +494 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    66ß
    Well that could explain the change in his performance. He did play better in the second half. He was just off in the first half. his throws, his timing, his decisions. That COULD have been a result of his diabetes. I had that thought during the game as well, but had not heard about an IV until now.

And NO, this is NOT an EXCUSE. It is a legitimate CONCERN.
  17. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +281 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    19ß
    Hard to stay with the run if you are that far behind, there is not a team out there that would have stayed with the run after the second quarter scoring fest.

I always see these stats about how if the RB gets so many touches that the team has an outstanding record. Well that is because the run game is an option, when you are trailing it requires an approach that can score quickly.

The OP was talking about runs up the middle, and I tend to agree that against a big line running up the middle should not be the first option. It seems like you are not taking advantage of the weakness of a big guy (he is slower to the edge).

Watching the Saints last night, it is obvious that Sproles is not the type of back that you want to pound the middle of the line with, and they did not run him up the middle often. BUT with that being said, you still need to stay balanced, runs up the middle sometimes work when you have set it up with runs to the edge and pass plays.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +605 / 5 / -20
    ßearz ßuckz:
    307ß
    If you want to hear crowd noise, come out here to Seattle -- but bring your ear plugs
  19. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,257 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    148ß
    I'll pass. Just shows ya what the advantage of having a dome is, though. I know Seattle doesn't have a dome, but there must be something up with the way it was built (to allow the acoustics ) to get 131.9 decibels.
  20. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +605 / 5 / -20
    ßearz ßuckz:
    307ß
    That's part of it. The other part is that Seahawks fans are berserk! I can't even go to the freakin' grocery store without seeing "GO HAWKS" signs. Screw them. I still wear my Bears cap everywhere.