orakpo should be looked at

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by VJ18, Mar 2, 2014.

1. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    15ß
    [​IMG]
    Bruce Kluckhohn-USA Today Sports
    Reports have surfaced that the Washington Redskins will let Brian Orakpo hit the open market in free agency. Chicago Bears general manager Phil Emery has made it clear that the primary focus of this offseason will be rebuilding the defense. Starting with a Pro Bowl edge player like Orakpo would be the perfect place to start through free agency. Some believe that Orakpo is only suited to play outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense, but I disagree. Orakpo has the skills and size to play defensive end in a 4-3 defense, but would also give the Bears flexibility to utilize different fronts.
    The flexibility to use multiple fronts is exactly what this Bears defense needs. It was painfully obvious last season that defensive coordinator Mel Tucker likes to blitz, and blitz a lot. Part of the reason Chicago was so unsuccessful on defense was that Tucker’s blitzing style requires big, fast bodies on defense. Every defense needs players like that, but a blitz-heavy scheme demands that. The personnel the Bears had on defense in 2013 were all meant to fit Lovie Smith’s Tampa-2 defense, a defense that does not rely heavily on blitzing, but instead relies upon pressure from the front four. The injuries to the defensive line led to a disastrous mix: a weak defensive line and players blitzing with little experience doing so.
    Inking Orakpo would be the “splash” signing some Bears fans suggest the team must make to turn this defense around in 2014. There is no doubt that Orakpo’s physicality and leadership would be welcomed in Chicago. Now it is up to Emery to go out and sign Orakpo on March 11.

Read more at http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2014/03/01/chicago-bears-should-pursue-brian-orakpo/?cdAky40ykTRSj5ew.99
  2. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +694 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    395ß
    Hell no to overpriced vets!

We need to get younger on defense and we won't be able to fix it if we keep signing washed up veterans every year. Take a look at GB's/NE's FA signings and you'll see that the draft is much more important than FA.
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,702 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    665ß
    6'4 257, seems a bit small except for the most elite of 4-3 DE players. Hell everything shows him as a LB or OLB. Not sure the team needsanother tweener DE especially at the cost that Orakpo would come in at.

I don't care about him being a vet or the cost, as long as it fits the cap and fills a need; just not sure BO does that.
  4. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,067 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    416ß
    Can't be afforded, even if desired.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +627 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    510ß
    I believe they believe Shea McClellin will fill this role. Remains to be seen how well it works out
  6. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,732 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,279ß
    Since Orakpo fits as a RDE, and has the size for it, he may be a possibility if the release Pep. Money would obviously be a factor but if some of the money saved by releasing Pep could be converted into a cap friendly deal he's probably the one FA who I could see replacing Pep and giving you 10-12 sacks a year if he plays on a good line. He's also a guy who can give you 40 or 50 tackles a year so he can play the run too.

LB I don't see him as a washed up vet. At 27 he's in his prime and the same age as Melton. If you believe in signing Melton for 4 years then you should also easily accept signing Orakpo for the same. These guy would still only be 30 in the last year of their deals. The problem as I see it is not only might Orakpo be priced beyond our means but signing both, assuming Melton is also looking for a 4 year deal with big dollars, would really be over board cap wise unless Cliff Stein has some real magic up his sleeve.

Even though the cap is now more likely to grow by 10% or more over the next two years there's still the issue of pushing too many dollars back too far and creating another Peppers situation where a still productive player becomes unaffordable. Since after Clowney IMHO there's a huge drop off in the DE talent in this years draft Orakpo could be in play but only if they release Pep and we don't know whether or not that gonna happen yet and it may not happen before FA begins.

If Pep stays then I'd say a left side guy like Bennett may be more valuable right now because he can play both DT and DE and we've used guys like Izzy and Wootton like that in the past. But again if Bennett is their target then Melton probably isn't and that's where you take Aaron Donald as a far less expensive 3 tech DT knowing you have Bennett who could also play that spot. Then sign Ratliff and Collins if he's healthy and you have a ton of flexibility along that line.

Paea can play both DT position and so can Collins and Ratliff. Bennett plays both DT and LDE and Pep can also move inside to DT on some passing downs. Donald is probably the only guy who stays put at 3 tech and you have plenty of bodies to rotate with him so he can assimilate the NFL game slowly enough that he doesn't get buried. He's gonna be up against much bigger faster OGs in the pros than he was in college and he's gonna need to adjust his game for that.
  7. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +472 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    143ß
    He's 27....hardly a washed up vet.
  8. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,702 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    665ß
    he's not washed up, but I'm not sure he's ideal sized, he's Shea sized and that's a bit on the small size for a 4-3 DE. He's more 3-4 OLB/DE, if the team had a need for that and was looking at playing a hybrid ten I could see it, but right now it's a 4-3 base w/a glut of OLB's.
  9. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +472 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    143ß
    The only thing if disagree with is that I think orackpo has a better frame to add size than Shea does. I think he could easily get up to 275. He played in college at around 270 so I don't think that would be a problem. That being said, I don't know that that's what we should spend a big chunk of change on.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,732 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,279ß
    The Skin's have until tomorrow to decide whether or not they're gonna tag him for nearly $11.5 mil. Part of the problem with all of these guys is that they end up wanting deals that pay them something close to what that tag gets them making them one of the top 5 at their position and they want guarantees of 2x to 3x the tag cost so for Orakpo let's say he's probably looking for a minimum of $40 over 4 years and at least $25 mil guaranteed and with the cap increasing he could be pushing for as much as $50 mil with $30 mil or more guaranteed. This is pretty much why the Bears need to build from the draft. If you could get this guy for $30 mil period he'd be worth it but for $40-$50 mil forget it.
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,128 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    432ß
    I'm realizing more than ever just how critically important draft pick savvy has become for a team to be successful over the long haul. Those draft picks are pure gold.
  12. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +627 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    510ß
    I do not see him being equivelent to Urlacher in his prime. He is not worth it. Need to build via the draft is right. Some positions are cheaper than others, if you have to sign FA the cheaper positions would be a better deal. Think below is from last yr but still shows comparative value. Luckily for us Safety is a cheaper position
    upload_2014-3-2_21-41-48.png
  13. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,732 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,279ß
    Yeah, Safety is the least expensive position on the defense which bodes well for a team who needs at least two and one of them needs to be a vet with a track record. Word is the Bills won't tag Byrd again and we have no idea what he wants either but I find it hard to believe the Bears would pay the freight with a draft with a handful of good Safeties coming out and a couple of good ones in FA they could afford as well.
  14. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +185 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    291ß
    Ocrapo? 11.5 MIL? 6'4" 257 LBS? And hes going to fit in where ?
  15. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,702 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    665ß
    I'm not saying he couldn't or isn't a better fit/player/athlete then Shea. I have no doubt that if he didn't add weight he could play DE better then She could; really who couldn't? I'm just not sure it'd be worth the cost, even if he did add some lb's.
  16. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +185 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    291ß
    Thats what Im saying with less words ...lets pass on this and wait for other FA's and the Draft.

I am still trying to figure out why McClellin is on this team.
  17. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,732 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,279ß
    The size of his body isn't a problem for a RDE as much as it would be the size of his paycheck.
  18. Smoking Jay

Smoking Jay Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    he is franchised tagged so no more worry
  19. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,732 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,279ß
    Well is WAS 50/50 but no longer. This is gonna make Michael Bennett's day. Now there's even less competition. Emery's gonna need to dig a little deeper now if he plans on going after him.
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2014