OTC Draft Mock. I was bored today with the board down :-)

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Apr 4, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,764 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,348ß
    I couldn't sign on the board today and go bored. I did one of those OTC mocks. I really like Larson at center, and the defense would get a lift with the other guys. I know it's defense-heavy, but the way the draft unfolded, I thought these were the best players available. One thing bad, it seemed like at every round, a LB was a reach. I just couldn't bring myself to reach for one.

If you haven't done one of these OTC mocks yet, here's the LINK.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[​IMG]
    AARON DONALD, DT
    6-0¾, 285 lbs Pittsburgh
    Comes off the snap like he's shot out of a cannon. His first step routinely beats opponents for immediate pressures. Has an effective arm-over swim move, though he doesn't use this often enough. His stature gives Donald the leverage advantage which he uses well to get under the pads of opponents and drive them into the backfield on bull-rushes. Considering that he's leading the country in sacks (1.6 per game) and tackles for loss (2.4), Donald might just be the most under-appreciated NFL prospect in college football.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[​IMG]
    JIMMIE WARD, SS
    5-10⅝, 193 lbs Northern Illinois
    Remarkably fluid athlete with quick feet, smooth change-of-direction agility and easy acceleration. Dropped down to cover slot receivers with solid man-to-man skills to handle a similar role in the NFL. Good balance and lateral agility, including the ability to sprawl to avoid cut-blocks. Physical, competitive defender who doesn't back down from the challenges of bigger opponents. Very good diagnosis skills and closes quickly and forcefully. Takes proper angles in pursuit, limiting breakaway opportunities for opponents. A Jim Thorpe Award semifinalist as a senior, Ward was all over the field in 2013, leading the team in tackles with 92, including a whopping 62 solo stops. He was also one of the nation's best ball-hawking safeties with seven interceptions and 10 pass break-ups. Versatile skill set and training to play any position in the defensive backfield. His versatility should be highly appealing to NFL teams and may even draw higher grades for Ward than expected.

[​IMG]
    MARCUS SMITH, DE
    6-3⅜, 251 lbs Louisville
    Broad-shouldered, long-armed athlete. Good initial quickness out of the three-point stance, showing enough burst to cross the face of offensive tackles on the perimeter. Good club move to break free from pass blockers as well as the power to effectively push opponents into the pocket on the bull rush. Alert defender who locates the ball quickly and shows good balance to pursue laterally and downfield. Shows vision and savvy as a walk-up blitzer, timing his rush with the snap nicely to penetrate his initial gap or when looping on stunts. Awareness and underrated athleticism evident when asked to cover tight ends and slot receivers on underneath routes. Gets an effective jam on his target and is athletic enough to handle coverage duties for a few yards. Physical, reliable tackler who wraps his arms securely and arrives with a thud. Good strength to rip away at the ball while making the tackle. Smith served as a moveable chess piece on the Cardinals' defense throughout his career, logging time at every position along the defensive line as well as a stand-up outside linebacker.

[​IMG]
    PHILLIP GAINES, CB
    6-0⅜, 193 lbs Rice
    Good-sized athlete and looks the part with a solid build and long arms. Natural burst, decisive strides and good straight-line speed. Fluid footwork and redirection skills to easily turn and stay hip-to-hip vertically. Strong plant foot to click-and-close in a flash with conviction. Won?t take unnecessary steps and mirrors well with proper body discipline. Patient, controlled feet. Physical in press with strong hands to initiate contact at the point of attack. Alert and rarely falls asleep at the wheel. Locates well and gets his hands on the ball ? only 32.5% of passes thrown his way in 2013 were completed. Good work ethic and a team-first guy with the right priorities, two-year team captain. Four-year starter (45 career starts) with experience in both man and zone coverage and holds the school record for career passes defended (42). Gaines has the size, length and aggressive nature to match-up well against receivers at the line of scrimmage to press, showing the footwork and redirection skills to flip-and-stick down the field.

[​IMG]
    TYLER LARSEN, C
    6-3⅝, 313 lbs Utah St
    Tall, barrel-chested center with surprising mobility. Good initial quickness off the ball. Can turn and seal off defenders in the running game, creating effective lanes. Gets a quick punch on his opponent and slides well laterally to contain in pass protection. Good lateral agility and surprising straight-line speed to block at the second level, showing above average change of direction to adjust to moving targets. Also an effective short-yardage run blocker due to good leg drive and determination. Reliable in the shotgun and traditional snapping. Tough and durable. Started the final 51 games of his collegiate career. Good bloodlines. Brother Cody played defensive tackle at Southern Utah and is now with the Baltimore Ravens. COMPARES TO: Jonathan Goodwin, 49ers: Like the 49ers' standout, Larsen is a physical, battle-tested pivot with the size and light feet to handle playing guard in a pinch. Larsen comes from good football bloodlines, as his brother, Cody, is a defensive tackle for the Baltimore Ravens after playing for Southern Utah.

[​IMG]
    JAY BROMLEY, DT
    6-3⅛, 306 lbs Syracuse
    Tall, well-built frame with some upper body bulk. Good length with strong hands to finish once he gets his hands on the ballcarrier. Quick first step to win with initial burst to force the issue. Strong momentum to attack gaps, creating holding calls. Controls the line of scrimmage with upper body strength and handles blockers well at the point, not easily redirected. Good pursuit speed to chase down ballcarriers from behind. Takes well to coaching with strong preparation habits. Versatile experience lining up just about everywhere on the defensive line at Syracuse, even played on some special teams coverages. Three-year starter including a productive senior season, becoming the first Syracuse interior lineman to have double-digit sacks since 1987. Bromley is an athletic upfield penetrator who stays stout at the point of attack and can handle multiple blocks. Bromley is draftable due to his ball quickness and strong football character and projects as a late round selection.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ANDRE HAL, CB
    5-10⅜, 188 lbs Vanderbilt
    Balanced athlete with quick, coordinated feet to click-and-close in a hurry. Smooth hips and transitional quickness. Good feel in single coverage and understands how to use the sideline to his advantage. Good vision and anticipation with trained eye use to quickly find the ball. Nice job elevating to play the ball with timing and confidence. Fierce tackler for his size and takes proper angles in run support. Good play speed and won't play tentative. Excellent competitive nature with the ball is in the air. High effort on the field and off with strong leadership traits. Known as a film junkie. Experienced kick returner, averaging 23.1 yards per return with one career special teams score. Two-year starter (26 career starts) with 37 passes defended, earning Second Team All-SEC honors the past two seasons.
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Another Vandy guy huh? It used to be Florida not we're gonna stock up on guys from Vandy. Well we let Bennett go so we're down one now.

I admit I never know much about the later round guys and the front end seems good but isn't there a MLB we could take in three. We could use one of those and we already have DE's coming out of our butthole. Gaines might be a nice find in four though.

Oh, and look at the size of the "guns" on Donald and all the way down his forearms to his wrist. That kid has some strength.
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,764 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,348ß
    It was a bit humbling Soul. I ran a number of mocks but at every round it seemed like a LB was a bit of a reach. The Vandy guy seemed worth a shot as our second pick in the 6th.
  4. BossK

BossK Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    That is a sorta fun site to mess around with. Every one I did I ended up getting a bunch of D-line in the first three rounds, it seems that the safeties and the CB's were flying off the charts. Makes me have a bit more respect for the front office, the guys I expected to be able to pick from among were gone. Then what. lol thanks for sharing the site.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,764 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,348ß
    That's exactly how it was with me too. I thought the same thing.
  6. BossK

BossK Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    This one let me double up on DT's in the first two- I am pretty sure I would be happy with that. The rest were meh. Except I am an Auburn fan, so getting Tre was fun for me...

DT AARON DONALD
    PITTSBURGH
    DT TIMMY JERNIGAN
    FLORIDA STATE
    RB TRE MASON
    AUBURN
    ILB JORDAN ZUMWALT
    UCLA
    CB EJ GAINES
    MISSOURI
    QB AARON MURRAY
    GEORGIA
    CB AARON COLVIN
    OKLAHOMA
    • Like Like x 1
  7. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,240 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    169ß
    Getting both DTs in the first two rounds would be sick. I know it would almost be a luxury considering the needs but still......
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    You don't like Chris Borland in three? He's on the short side but the kid can play MLB and cover in a zone. The trouble with guys like Smith is that they're all Shea McClellin v2.0 pass rushers and questionable run defenders. I'd want to see how guys like McCellin, Washington, and Bass workout first before I spent a 3rd round pick on another small DE. We may be passing on a good ball player but we're so stocked at DE/OLB with his type I just wonder if we need another especially that high.

Emery says he hope Bostic can give DWill some competition at MLB in camp and yet I'm convinced that kid is out of position in the middle and needs to be moved to WLB where he can scrape down the line and be a tackler. That he does well. If he's gonna be the next great Bears LB I still think it's replacing Briggs not Urlacher. Borland also grades out higher at LB than Smith does at DE. I love those first two picks and I can only hope we'd be that lucky but I sure would grab a kid like Borland to see if he can make the grade if he's still there. There aren't a whole lot of 4-3 type ILB in this draft that have pro potential and I believe he does.

JMHO
    • Like Like x 1
  9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,764 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,348ß
    Point well taken, and I did think about that very thing. From what I could read about the guy, it sounded like he had a body that could handle adding more muscle mass than Shea, and that he has stellar football instincts. One scout compared him to Jared Allen. So I was thinking he may be more of a Jared Allen v.2.0 rather than Shea. But who knows, he could be more of what we already have, and that would be disappointing. One thing I get from all of this is a better appreciation of what Phil Emery has on his plate. If I draft a bust it's no big deal. Just a messageboard post. If Emery does the same thing often enough he will ultimately be out of a job.

Regarding Shea, I"m not sure the guy can play football at the NFL level at any position. I know that's blasphemy here on the board, and I sincerely do hope he's the stud LB that folks have anointed him as (even though he hasn't played a single down as an NFL linebacker yet). But he could go the same route as other recent 1st round disappointments like Carimi and C.Will. Only time will tell.

One other thing cool about the mocks though, is that you get a chance to really read up on multiple scouting reports on guys. Even if they'd land on another team, you know a bit about them.
  10. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,415 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    433ß
    I agree and nice mock, JABF.

The first 2 picks are hard to find fault with. I'd be hard pressed to find a realistic valid reason to pass on Donald if he is there at 14. He's the best 3T prospect and most NFL-ready one too by far in this draft (with no character or injury concerns either) and we happen to have a huge need there with Melton gone. Why Emery would pass on a guy with his motor and production who fits our defense perfectly is beyond me. Others will differ of course but PASS RUSH trumps all else IMO.

A Safety then becomes the prime target for the 2nd. I like Buchannon myself (he's a SS type but Mundy/Conte can compete at Free). Ward seems like a solid choice if Emery chooses to go the opposite way. I'd be happy with either one and they're both projected to be 2nd round likely type selections.

In the 3rd I agree with Soul's analysis. I don't see much reason to draft a DE anymore. First of all, we signed 3 of them in FA to multi-year contracts. Secondly, we have a bunch of depth choices behind them (Izzy, Bass, Corny, Lane, etc) to fill the other 1-2 we will end of keeping on the final 53. Finally, once you get past Clowney and Ealy this DE rookie class is widely considered to be weak and DT is strong/deep. I assume that's part of the reason why Phil went crazy on DE in FA and didn't pursue a single interior guy, Melton included.

I'd look hard at either LB or CB in the 3rd. If Borland or Skov is available, they're possibilities. At CB, maybe Gaines or McGill or SJB. If Emery doesn't like any of them or they're unavailable, another S prospect or a DT/NT guy could be the one. Paea is on the last year of his contract and he's had nagging injuries 2 of his first 3 seasons. Who knows if he will be back for 2015.

After that, I agree it would be nice to get a G/C and maybe a TE at some point. A project QB would be a target too.
  11. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,399 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,583ß
    not from draftek, but from that crazy site w/the nfl draft game:

Cincy over reaches HARD for a trade and give the Bears, imo a dream draft, picks + donald:
    Your score is: 4735 (Drafting Ability: B+, Player Quality A, Future Draft Picks: N/A)

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 24 (CINN): Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh (A)
    Round 2 Pick 19: Terrence Brooks, FS, Florida State (A-)
    Round 2 Pick 23 (CINN): Dee Ford, DE, Auburn (A) , he's really an OLB but whateve....
    Round 3 Pick 18: Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas (B+)
    Round 3 Pick 24 (CINN): Keith McGill, CB, Utah (A-)
    Round 4 Pick 17: Charles Sims, RB, West Virginia (A)
    Round 4 Pick 23 (CINN): Craig Loston, SS, LSU (A)
    Round 5 Pick 16: Xavier Grimble, TE, Southern California (B+)
    Round 6 Pick 7: David Fales, QB, San Jose State (A-)
    Round 6 Pick 15: Devon Kennard, OLB, Southern California (B+)
  12. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,415 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    433ß
    Ric, that's a wet dream scenario for the Bears. If Emery could still get Donald with a trade down to net extra depth picks I'd worship the ground he walked on.
  13. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,399 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,583ß
    I know right, lol no way that happens unless it's found out Donald sprained a hammy getting off the plane in TN.
  14. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,415 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    433ß
    LOL, it would take some last minute miracle fall for Donald to make it to the late 1st IMO. He's not the ideal fit for all of them given the fact that he's a pure 1-gap 3Tech, but NYG, CHI, PITT, DAL all need DT help so I'd be very surprised if he gets out of the teens.
  15. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,399 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,583ß
    I know which is why I had to post it, it was a 1 in a mil hit, followed w/in filling the rest of the must haves in 4 of the 5 first picks. crazy.