OTC MOCK

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +483 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    This might be my favorite one I've seen so far. Quarles and Ferguson would give us 1 if not 2 rotational players at both DT positions.
  2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,691 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,201ß
    Here's another option.

upload_2014-4-22_13-18-39.png
    • Like Like x 1
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,311 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,479ß
    valid point, but most think that De La Puenta will get a long term deal next year after Garza is off the books, guess many are making a HUGE assumption there.
  4. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,885 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,193ß
    No reason for us to do that. Tice will probably be available again and we can grab him!
  5. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +828 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    870ß
    I have come to the conclusion taking a DT in rd 1 limits what you can do in rd 2 and 3. Safety is tough and you are gambling even in rd 2, to many teams need them. I have come to conclude that rd 2 may have a S but recent mocks have both Buchannon and ward gone well before we pick. If we are lucky a CB may fall in rd 2 if we take a S in rd 1 providing one is avail. If not there is still DT value in Quarles and Sutton, and Emery may take a flier on Easley although his ACL injuries to both knees personally scares me. I just keep getting more starters when I go S or CB in rd 1. I believe the QB's taken or lack thereof and Detroit going CB or S will probably impact what we do.

I did several drafts and both S are gone, primarily Detroit and the Rams. If they take the S recent mocks have shown Ward and Buchannon going in late rd 1 which is a reach but with so many teams wanting S it could happen. I would not like it but I could see us reaching for a Ward or Buchannon in rd 1. Sutton or Quarles will be there in rd 3 and rd 2 we can look at ILB or CB depending who is there and come back to DT. I will be surprised if we take a DT in RD 1 just because we can get one later and finding a ILB, RB, and CB is much easier in first 2 rounds. I know it comes down to Phil and his values but I see DT in RD 3 more than RD 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,311 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,479ß
    BSB, been saying this for awhile, the depth in this draft is at DL, and S/CB while deep are not NEAR as deep as DT, I like the S's/CB/s in the 2nd/3rd but I REALLY like the DT's that are there. If you are looking at wanting 2-3 starters out of this draft you need to get the DB's taken early.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,691 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,201ß
    The high-quality DT talent is definitely deeper in this draft than at safety/CB. There are going to be some really solid DT's in round three, and some decent ones beyond that. The safeties and CB's left at that point are really nothing special.
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  8. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,311 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,479ß
    It's good to know that either I'm not crazy, or I'm not lonely in the loony bin :)
    • Like Like x 2
  9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,691 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,201ß
    LOL. I agree. I was all about grabbing a DT at #14 originally, but when you go through the mock drafts you realize there is exceptional quality DT talent available this year as late as round 3. And pretty decent talent beyond that. But the safety and CB talent in those rounds is a precipitous drop-off. It made me sick to look at what was available there when a DT was taken in the 1st round. This isn't the case every year, but it is THIS year.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,311 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,479ß
    CB JUSTIN GILBERT
    OKLAHOMA STATE
    S TERRENCE BROOKS
    FLORIDA STATE
    TE AUSTIN SEFERIAN-JENKINS
    WASHINGTON
    DT ANTHONY JOHNSON
    LSU
    ILB KHAIRI FORTT
    CALIFORNIA
    QB BRETT SMITH
    WYOMING
    RB MARION GRICE
    ARIZONA STATE
  11. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,885 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,193ß
    You're the craziest just when you don't think you're crazy.... :alright:
    • Like Like x 1
  12. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,311 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,479ß
    Thanks BiH, I can feel the love.

DT AARON DONALD
    PITTSBURGH
    S DION BAILEY
    USC
    CB PIERRE DESIR
    LINDENWOOD
    ILB SHAYNE SKOV
    STANFORD
    DT GEORGE UKO
    USC
    QB BRETT SMITH
    WYOMING
    RB MARION GRICE
    ARIZONA STATE

This didn't turn out to bad, but Desir/Bailey not as good as Gilbert or Pryor/Desir or Bailey
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +483 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    I think thats why I am now leaning towards wanting Pryor over Donald. While this completely contradicts my philosophy that games are won in the trenches, I think that it limits our flexibility in the rest of the top half.

For example I would say its about a 20% chance that Ward will be there at 51 and a 50% chance Buchannon will. We could easily end up not even getting a tier 2 guy, more like a tier 3 like Dion Bailey and possibly over drafting him at that to ensure we dont miss outright on any safety of any importance.

Now if Pryor is the pick at 14 it gets interesting. I think Quarrles would be a good player for us and easily can be had in the 2nd maybe even the third. There is also the off chance that Hageman or Jernigan falls to 51. Maybe we deem that Quarrles, Reid, Ferguson, Johnson are better options in the 3rd, this allows us taking the best value between avail MLB or CBs. Borland, McGill, Baptise all possibilities.

I think the impact value of Donald and Pryor will be about equal. While I personally value a 3tech more than a safety, or safety is a disaster right now so I will just call it even. With that said, I think we have more flexibility for the rest of the draft if we get Pryor in the first. Lots of options down the line where the depth at S just isn't there this year.
    • Like Like x 3
  14. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,311 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,479ß
    1000x what Grizz said. not saying S is more important then DT, but in THIS draft quality DT's are found in the mid rounds and quality S's/CB's aren't
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +483 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß

I'm just afraid that if we take a DT first, we may get royally screwed because anyone wanting Ward or Buchannon is going to know thats who we are after and could leapfrog us to snag them. Thats if they even sniff the 45 and over range...could very well go early in the 2nd or even late in the first. That would leave us with a hope and a prayer on a guy like Dion that most seem to think aren't NFL ready.
  16. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,311 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,479ß
    After what Sea did last year, the whole league is going to be wanting S's, so there's a far better chance that those guys don't sniff 51, and possily 1 or 2 more S's might well go before that also.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +828 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    870ß
    Could not agree with you more, that is exactly my thoughts
  18. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +215 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    516ß
    This is still Angelos game ... because we have to replace the damage of the done.

Emery is playing catchup for at least two more drafts.
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,885 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,193ß
    I've thought about that myself and IMO that represents the best argument for not going DT in the first. However, it is my opinion and could definitely be wrong, but a top penetrating DT will do more to raise our ability to make it to the playoffs than CB or S.
    To make it to the playoffs, it is a given that you have a line that can apply pressure. IMO, at that point -- when you are able to make it to the playoffs - then you worry about the ability to cover the top teams -- the ones that can get the ball off even with pressure. Although, with enough pressure not even the elite QBs are able to get the ball out consistently.

So an argument can be made either way. I do agree though that the drop off in DT in the later rounds will be less than the CB or S dropoff. However, the dropoff will still be enough that it will negate the reason that we are getting a DT to begin with -- to apply lots of pressure and consistently penetrate. Even if you are able to get less of a drop off in DT's, it becomes only an academic excercise. If the drop off is such that it negates your goal, then it doesn't matter how small the drop. I just don't see a 2nd rounder or later DT being the kind of player we need. He could be, but then luck starts to play a bigger part in the selection than I would like.
    • Like Like x 2
  20. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +828 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    870ß
    BiH, good point with the amount of drop off and the goal. The Bears will have much better data than us and probably even methods to apply it to some simulation to project what to expect of a given player. Obviously none of us can predict how they rank the players or the value on positions.

If we do not value S as some have argued then we may have the upgrades on the team already. If further upgrades are deemed necessary then it will have to be early in the draft, no later than rd 2, or upgrades will not be available.
    • Like Like x 1