OTC MOCK

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,530 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    705ß
    yeah... in the end. they have the best data and even then, they don't know. We'll start to see glimpses of ability during TC and preseason, but we'll really have a better idea during the middle of the season. It's a process that I enjoy but dread all at the same time!

As far as valuing the S, my opinion is that we should value the S highly. It is an important part of a complete D and we need strong S play to be able to compete in the deep playoff games. I just think that the S/CB and DT are somewhat of a tradeoff. In the end, you need all three of them to be a really good team, but in general, if you don't have a strong line, you had better have very good coverage in the backfield because they are going to be coving some balls (when their running backs need a blow from constantly running it down your throat).
    So in our case, I think we now have a solid DL. We are talking about having to upgrade only one position. If we don't, then we need to look at 2CBs and 2S to counter that. This year CB is ok, but 2S positions. And a weak DT still provides you with a running threat that you have to deal with.

If you make the S and CB strong, you are better able to cope with the balls that are going to come their way. Plus it gives you the ability for turnovers when they do get in the air. I just like the idea of taking the play away befoe it even gets off the ground by solidifying the DL. It makes the S and CB a little less important for the time being and allows us the ability to focus on less positions next year. Plus it theoretically takes away the run game at the same time if we get the right player. I think the rest of the line is now capable of stopping the run. Houston and Allen were huge upgrades. We have solid players in some of the other guys too. You have to pick your poison when you can't do it all to the level you would like all at one time.

The bad thing is doing both a CB and a S next year with lower picks (hopefully) is not going to be a picnic either. Emery is still going to have to be pulling some FA magic for the next several years, but he appears to be more than able to do that.
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,339 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    734ß
    You are right we have to pick our poison to a certain extent. Here's what gets me going back and forth on the issue. Some seem to think getting a DT in the first round negates the need for good defensive backs. But I think that is not reality. Teams can adjust and neutralize even the best DT on plays, and to a certain extent for entire games. We've done that against some pretty good DL over the years. On those plays you better have decent Dbacks too. That's why Emery has to look at the entire defense and determine the greatest impact he can make in this draft. That may end up going safety or CB in the first and then taking a DT and the remaining position not picked in the first round, in the 2 & 3 rounds. It's like we need 3 first round picks, but instead have to spread those picks over three rounds. I think you get a solid DT starter in round 2 or maybe even 3. I don't see a starter Dback in round three, and probably not in round 2. So I could see Emery not drafting that DT in the first - for the overall good of the team. If pushed into a corner he may have to go DT in another round rather than in the first. If that is the case, I still think we can get a real rock solid DT and the DL will be just fine this year.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,339 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    734ß
    I agree. I realize the mock draft tools are not in any way an accurate predictor of the actual draft, any more than the talking heads and their mock drafts are reliable. But I do think it gives a high-level feel for how the draft may generally play out. Here's the latest OTC I ran if we take a safety at #14.

upload_2014-4-24_12-54-40.png

I'd take that draft in a heartbeat. I couldn't believe Mosley could fall into the second round, but today he was there. Both of those DT's are quality players IMHO. Three years from now I would love to revisit this draft because I could see one of the above DT's ultimately having the better NFL career than Donald if he does have size issues as some have talked about (I realize he is the darling of the DT's here so this is blasphemy). But I don't see Donald as a "sure thing" by any means.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,530 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    705ß
    I agree with you JABF. You need both. I like the DT first because it gets you to the next level - where the better QBs can still get the ball (hopefully sparingly) and you need to be shutting down the backfield. But it does give you an edge against most teams because it really messes with their offense. They can't get the ball in the air most of the time and if we get the right guy, they also have a problem running it. The one position can address two different threats. Right now teams (unless they have Aaron Rogers) don't even bother to pass. They just run it.

Going this route allows us to take the next step and then start addressing the stuff that gets us from good to great. I openly admit my approach my not be the best but it makes sense to work it that way at least in my thought process.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +723 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    684ß
    They added Ourlads Big Board. So I tried it. Interesting they have Buchannon ahead of Pryor. Anyway I would love this one.

upload_2014-4-24_17-31-4.png
    • Like Like x 1
  6. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +723 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    684ß
  7. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    57ß
    I think he is a good player, and should be a good at most aspects. That being said, I don't think he is a slam dunk. He is not a prospect like Suh or Farley that is a sure fire day one impact player who will have to be schemed around. He's a great schematic fit and I think would add a dimension that we need on this team, but he's not a flawless prospects. The two major glares are his size and lack of competition on college. Like every single prospect in this class, he has flaws and knocks.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +723 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    684ß
    Well said, if they take him I understand why, and if they pass on him I will understand that as well
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,339 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    734ß
    I feel the same way. LOL, I wish we had 3 first round picks this year :smile:
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,530 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    705ß
    All I know is we finally have less than two weeks left. Why the NFL thought this was a good idea is beyond me.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. latorreedgar

latorreedgar Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Can Mack really drop

VIEW EACH TEAM'S DRAFT
    Arizona CardinalsAtlanta FalconsBaltimore RavensBuffalo BillsCarolina PanthersChicago BearsCincinnati BengalsCleveland BrownsDallas CowboysDenver BroncosDetroit LionsGreen Bay PackersHouston TexansIndianapolis ColtsJacksonville JaguarsKansas City ChiefsMiami DolphinsMinnesota VikingsNew England PatriotsNew Orleans SaintsNew York GiantsNew York JetsOakland RaidersPhiladelphia EaglesPittsburgh SteelersSan Diego ChargersSan Francisco 49ersSeattle SeahawksSt. Louis RamsTampa Bay BuccaneersTennessee TitansWashington Redskins

OLB KHALIL MACK
    BUFFALO

DT DOMINIQUE EASLEY
    FLORIDA

DT EGO FERGUSON
    LSU

C MARCUS MARTIN
    USC

CB ANTONE EXUM
    VIRIGNIA TECH

S TY ZIMMERMAN
    KANSAS STATE

RB STORM JOHNSON
    UCF
  12. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,942 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    945ß
    Rather have a S in the 2nd or 3rd and don't need a C in the 4th if we go back to back DT's, S is far higher on the list of needs. But good draft lat
  13. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,339 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    734ß
    Here's one version if we did go with Donald in the 1st round. I guess the world wouldn't end if we did this :-)
    Obviously we don't get one of the top safeties in the draft, but I have to admit I do like this draft for the following reasons:

1. There are some very high-quality players here that can help us besides Donald. And even though I argue about drafting a safety in the first round, I do admit Donald probably makes our DL (when added to the guys already signed there) a stellar line in the NFL. We'd have solid depth too.

2. Mosely would be a good addition to our LB corps and we do need help there. He is the #1 ranked MLB in this draft. "The leader of the Crimson Tide's suffocating defense. Mosley is capable of starring at virtually any of the three linebacker roles in Chicago's 4-3 alignment. Mosley does a nice job using his length and lower body fluidity to keep himself clean through a crowd and finishes at the ball, wrapping and driving through his target. He is very smart and keeps his eyes on the ball to track and attack and rarely makes mental mistakes, which is a result of his high football IQ and preparation skills."

3. I think Desir is going to be a very very solid CB in the NFL. He's been flying under the radar a bit, but he seems like a guy who could be a solid starter next year when Peanut is gone. "Sports a lean, athletic build with excellent height for the position. Fluid athlete with light feet, flexibility and balance. Has a low backpedal, controlled transition and is a smooth accelerator with good top-end speed. Trusts his athleticism, showing the patience to allow receivers to get close before opening his hips to turn and run downfield. Aggressively closes on underneath routes. Locates the ball well, showing good hand-eye coordination and body control to adjust to make the tough grab. Has dominated lower-level competition based largely on his natural gifts."

4. We have a pretty decent SS and FS here. The SS, Dezmen Southward, is the #6 ranked SS in this draft. He's a raw project for sure, but he could be something special: "Fast, rand a 4.38 40. Long arms and solid frame. Plays with toughness and burst to close. Attacks blockers, showing little regard for his own safety. Good body control and awareness of the sideline. Good, not great, burst to close. Impressive durability. WEAKNESSES: Raw and still learning the game -- began playing as a high school senior." He reminds me of a safety version of Kyle Long. The FS, Kenny Ladler, is the #6 ranked FS in this draft. He looks pretty solid too, "well-built frame for the position. Instinctive defender who diagnoses the action quickly and attacks, whether it be toward the line of scrimmage vs. the run or in reading the eyes of the quarterback to break on a pass. Good straight-line speed and possesses an impressive initial burst, as well as good closing speed. Generally a reliable open-field tackler with a history of delivering big hits, many of which result in forced fumbles (team-leading five in 2013). Steadily improved throughout his career with starting experience at both strong and free safety. Valued special teams contributor on the punt and punt return units."

5. The TE, Crockett Gilmore, is solid receiving AND blocking. I'd love to see us draft this guy. "Natural hands for the reception. High-points passes, showing impressive hand-eye coordination, timing on his leap and overall body control. Competitive blocker who gets a solid initial shove on the defender and works to sustain. Shows some nastiness as a blocker, knocking defenders to the ground."

6. Gaffney, the RB, I don't know much about. Here's all I could find on him:
    "Solidly-built with good body strength. Balanced runner with admirable toughness to shake and slide off tacklers. Runs hard and physical and would rather go through defenders than around them - will deliver hits with a strong stiff arm and often fall forward. Coordinated athlete with light feet. Tough at the point of attack and not easy to bring down with arm tackles. Strong inside runner and a very smart and assignment sound runner to stay in his lane. Churns out yards as a workhorse back and runs the same late in games as he does in the 1st quarter. Gives up his frame as a blocker. Ability as a receiver out of the backfield. Productive senior season and finished top-10 in the FBS in rushing yards (1,709) and rushing scores (21) despite not playing football in 2012. Dedicated and hard-working athlete and gets the most out of his body and ability."

All of the scouting info listed above came from NFLdraftscout.com (and was updated 4/21/2014)
    upload_2014-4-25_10-34-10.png
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  14. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,206 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    245ß
    The NFL is trying to spread out events into as many months as possible for maximum exposure.

Sept-Dec: regular season
    Jan: playoffs/college all-star games
    Feb: SB/Combine
    March: Free agency
    April: schedule release
    May: draft
    July: training camp
    August: preseason

There's something major or newsworthy every month except June. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if the NFL makes the May draft a permanent thing, like it or not.
  15. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +559 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    263ß
    This is a little different:

S CALVIN PRYOR
    LOUISVILLE

TE ERIC EBRON
    NORTH CAROLINA

CB PIERRE DESIR
    LINDENWOOD

DT CARAUN REID
    PRINCETON

ILB MAX BULLOUGH
    MICHIGAN STATE

DT KELCY QUARLES
    SOUTH CAROLINA

QB TAJH BOYD
    CLEMSON
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,530 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    705ß
    Yeah. That was also my understanding of the reasoning. Bad logic. Instead of being able to discuss how the new guys are acclimating to their new teams, we get more peoples posts of how they hope the draft goes. Let's do it for real and then we can have some meaningful discussion instead. Discussion about who we got vs who we wish we get, how they might fit, coaches evals, etc
  17. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,206 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    245ß
    I understand and feel the same way. I can't look at another mock draft or player eval. I'm sick of it.
  18. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +559 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    263ß
    The draft wasn't moved back two weeks to drag out coverage. There was an event already booked for the original date at Radio City Music hall.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,206 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    245ß
    Right......the NFL "forgot" to reserve it in advance for a yearly scheduled event. And there's nowhere else it could possibly be held.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +559 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    263ß
    Whats the date for the draft next year? I'll save you the time of googling it because it hasn't been determined yet. It's held AROUND the same time every year, but the exact dates are not determined as of yet. Because of that Radio City Music Hall went ahead and booked a show. The commish is on record stating that the draft may return to the month of April next year, and it may not be at Radio City Music Hall(Because they have an event scheduled for the end of April next year too!). Sorry to burst the conspiracy theory bubble.

I agree that they should have looked for another place to have it. There are places, but in reality, if you wanted to keep in NYC...there are not many options. The Garden has playoff hockey, and they hoped to have playoff basketball...I don't know how that would have worked out. Brooklyn has playoff basketball. Theres the Prudential Center in Jersey...which like the garden had hoped to have playoff hockey but doesn't. The only other option is the IZOD center which has nothing happening as far as I know.
    • Like Like x 1