OTC MOCK

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,434ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    yeah... in the end. they have the best data and even then, they don't know. We'll start to see glimpses of ability during TC and preseason, but we'll really have a better idea during the middle of the season. It's a process that I enjoy but dread all at the same time!

As far as valuing the S, my opinion is that we should value the S highly. It is an important part of a complete D and we need strong S play to be able to compete in the deep playoff games. I just think that the S/CB and DT are somewhat of a tradeoff. In the end, you need all three of them to be a really good team, but in general, if you don't have a strong line, you had better have very good coverage in the backfield because they are going to be coving some balls (when their running backs need a blow from constantly running it down your throat).
    So in our case, I think we now have a solid DL. We are talking about having to upgrade only one position. If we don't, then we need to look at 2CBs and 2S to counter that. This year CB is ok, but 2S positions. And a weak DT still provides you with a running threat that you have to deal with.

If you make the S and CB strong, you are better able to cope with the balls that are going to come their way. Plus it gives you the ability for turnovers when they do get in the air. I just like the idea of taking the play away befoe it even gets off the ground by solidifying the DL. It makes the S and CB a little less important for the time being and allows us the ability to focus on less positions next year. Plus it theoretically takes away the run game at the same time if we get the right player. I think the rest of the line is now capable of stopping the run. Houston and Allen were huge upgrades. We have solid players in some of the other guys too. You have to pick your poison when you can't do it all to the level you would like all at one time.

The bad thing is doing both a CB and a S next year with lower picks (hopefully) is not going to be a picnic either. Emery is still going to have to be pulling some FA magic for the next several years, but he appears to be more than able to do that.

#41 Bearsinhouston, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,803ß
    You are right we have to pick our poison to a certain extent. Here's what gets me going back and forth on the issue. Some seem to think getting a DT in the first round negates the need for good defensive backs. But I think that is not reality. Teams can adjust and neutralize even the best DT on plays, and to a certain extent for entire games. We've done that against some pretty good DL over the years. On those plays you better have decent Dbacks too. That's why Emery has to look at the entire defense and determine the greatest impact he can make in this draft. That may end up going safety or CB in the first and then taking a DT and the remaining position not picked in the first round, in the 2 & 3 rounds. It's like we need 3 first round picks, but instead have to spread those picks over three rounds. I think you get a solid DT starter in round 2 or maybe even 3. I don't see a starter Dback in round three, and probably not in round 2. So I could see Emery not drafting that DT in the first - for the overall good of the team. If pushed into a corner he may have to go DT in another round rather than in the first. If that is the case, I still think we can get a real rock solid DT and the DL will be just fine this year.

• Like Like x 1
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,803ß
    I agree. I realize the mock draft tools are not in any way an accurate predictor of the actual draft, any more than the talking heads and their mock drafts are reliable. But I do think it gives a high-level feel for how the draft may generally play out. Here's the latest OTC I ran if we take a safety at #14.

upload_2014-4-24_12-54-40.png

I'd take that draft in a heartbeat. I couldn't believe Mosley could fall into the second round, but today he was there. Both of those DT's are quality players IMHO. Three years from now I would love to revisit this draft because I could see one of the above DT's ultimately having the better NFL career than Donald if he does have size issues as some have talked about (I realize he is the darling of the DT's here so this is blasphemy). But I don't see Donald as a "sure thing" by any means.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Bearsinhouston

DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,434ß
    I agree with you JABF. You need both. I like the DT first because it gets you to the next level - where the better QBs can still get the ball (hopefully sparingly) and you need to be shutting down the backfield. But it does give you an edge against most teams because it really messes with their offense. They can't get the ball in the air most of the time and if we get the right guy, they also have a problem running it. The one position can address two different threats. Right now teams (unless they have Aaron Rogers) don't even bother to pass. They just run it.

Going this route allows us to take the next step and then start addressing the stuff that gets us from good to great. I openly admit my approach my not be the best but it makes sense to work it that way at least in my thought process.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    2,919ß
    They added Ourlads Big Board. So I tried it. Interesting they have Buchannon ahead of Pryor. Anyway I would love this one.

upload_2014-4-24_17-31-4.png

• Like Like x 1
  6. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    2,919ß
  7. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    512ß
    I think he is a good player, and should be a good at most aspects. That being said, I don't think he is a slam dunk. He is not a prospect like Suh or Farley that is a sure fire day one impact player who will have to be schemed around. He's a great schematic fit and I think would add a dimension that we need on this team, but he's not a flawless prospects. The two major glares are his size and lack of competition on college. Like every single prospect in this class, he has flaws and knocks.

• Like Like x 2
  8. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    2,919ß
    Well said, if they take him I understand why, and if they pass on him I will understand that as well

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,803ß
    I feel the same way. LOL, I wish we had 3 first round picks this year :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bearsinhouston

DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,434ß
    All I know is we finally have less than two weeks left. Why the NFL thought this was a good idea is beyond me.

• Agree Agree x 1