Our best chance at making the playoffs isn't the division anymore

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Henry Burris, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

Detroit own the tie breaker against us, and we will HAVE to win 2 more games than them at this point, to own the division. We're one game behind, and I don't see us having 2 more wins than Detroit from the rest of our schedule, but I'm putting this up here to generate discussion. Now, not getting into player by player analysis, but rather, just looking at the overall schedules, it's dicey at best, to think we can win the division over Detroit, as the remaining games for each team go:

Detroit Chicago

Steelers Ravens
    Bucs Rams
    Packers Vikings
    Eagles Cowboys
    Ravens Browns
    Giants Eagles
    Vikings Packers

Even though Detroit is highly overrated, considering they are the ONLY NFCNorth team to go without a serious injury to a starting QB at this point, I don't see us winning 2 more games than the Lions at this point (I'm not saying it won't happen, but that it's gonna be really difficult, but it's not like stranger things haven't happened), so I'm going to show you guys what team I think we should all be rooting against, for their losses will help us guarantee a wild card spot. Obviously, I'm talking about the Carolina Panthers, who are probably the "hottest" team in the NFL right now, having held the 49ers to 4 offensive yards in the 4th quarter. They obviously own the tiebreaker over the 49ers, but with San Francisco getting many of their offensive weapons back into their lineup for the first time this year, San Francisco has the looks of a team that's ready to explode over the next few weeks. We are a game behind both wildcard teams for a playoff spot, and here's what the remainder of their schedules look like:

49ers Panthers

NO NE
    WAS Miami
    STL TB
    SEA NO
    TB NYJ
    ATL NO
    ARI ATL

Now, between those 2, doesn't it seem, on paper anyway, that the 49ers have an overall easier schedule? It seems the most probable chance we have is to win the remainder of our games, and hope Carolina slips against NO once or twice, and the Jets or Patriots help us out, too.
  2. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros SuperFan

We won't make the playoffs this season. We will finish 9-7, just shy of making a playoff spot, and ending up with another mid-round draft pick.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

We will finish in third place in the NFC-N, again this year. It's becoming our "annual event" every season now. We'll be bottom-feeders with the Vikings.

No playoffs this year. Sorry.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

The Bears and Cubs just break your heart, year-after-year. I never get used to it though. It still hurts just as bad as the previous lost seasons. It's always "wait 'til next year" for us.
  5. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

I don't see the Packers being able to handle Minnesota or the Giants with their 3rd string QB. This team should finish, at least 2nd in the division.
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

You bring up a good point. It all depends upon when Rodgers returns. Their schedule isn't that tough, IMHO. When Rodgers returns I could see them running the table winning out the season. And they are a good enough team to knock off 1 of the 2 games with Minny and the Giants. In fact, even with a 3rd string QB they could win one of those two.

I'm just not seeing us in 2nd place this year. I'm seeing a team that has a lot of issues on both sides of the ball, a head coach still climbing the learning curve of being a HC in the NFL, and a QB who struggles in big games (and can't stay healthy). Can we surmount all of that? Sure. But it's not a lock that we do by any means.
  7. JJ-30

JJ-30

I don't have any idea how you came up with third, MN isn't going to make the playoff and unless Rogers comes back for this weekend or next GB isn't making the playoffs either. WE may still may not make the playoffs but I can't see us ending up third, could happen just don't see the sky falling right now.
  8. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters

No playoffs for this Bears team. Far too many injuries, too many questions on defense, growing pains with a rookie head coach and his new offense, and the "Rocky Balboa-esque fighter on the mat who keeps getting up" QB in Jay Cutler.
  9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Green Bay always finds ways to win, even in epic injury years. I'm not counting them out yet.....but it does matter as to when they get Rodgers back. Even without him, I believe they will beat 1 of the 2 upcoming teams (the Vikes and Giants). I'll be very surprised if they don't. The Bears put themselves in a very bad position by losing yesterday. Instead of being in 1st place in the division, a game up on GB and the Lions - they are now a game behind the Lions & have two losses to them this year. I just don't see us making up the ground we lost. Not with this team anyway. We have issues on both sides of the ball (offense and defense) and a coach-in-training this year. Regarding MT, I love having him as our HC. But he is climbing a learning curve here, in his first stint as an NFL head coach. It's like a gifted rookie player. They will make amazing things happen, but also do incredibly dumb things that first year too. It just goes with being a rookie (player or coach).
  10. a_miljan

a_miljan

I think there will be no playoffs for us this year, we will finish in the worst place, middle... but i do hope we'll be 2nd in our division
    • Like Like x 1
  11. JPosh2012

JPosh2012

Agreed. I wouldn't be shocked if the Packers finished third especially if Rodgers is out a while. As my boss said today "Our road to the playoffs ended yesterday."
  12. 4th and 26

4th and 26 Staff Member

Come on people, the lions are still the lions, they win lame dick games and when it comes to the playoffs, they will be one and done.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

I believe this, and MANY others, to include reporters, are saying the same thing. Also, Matthew Stafford is conspicuously healthy, given what's happened to Jay, Aaron and Ponder.
  14. Strangerwithcandy11

Strangerwithcandy11

Bears will make the playoffs. We get healthy with Cutler,Briggs and Ratliff coming back to help the dline. Bears win the Super Bowl, BEARS WIN THE SUPER BOWL!!! Let me dream.....
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

Honestly, who's really a lock this year? Detroit, with a healthy team, can't beat Green Bay, and can barely beat Chicago.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston

I think most teams can beat GB with Rogers out. JMO
  17. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

Detroit's playing him twice.
  18. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston

If that is the case, then yeah... good luck with that.