Our Rookie Offensive Linemen

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Grizzblue, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +504 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    117ß
    I did not get to see much of the game tonight. The very limited plays of the number ones that I did see Long and Mills both seemed to be holding their own. I was excited by this but my DvR didn't record the game for some reason and I wanted to get the feel from people who were watching them. I'm pissed because I was looking forward to seeing them play, but at any rate how did the look as a whole? What is your opinion on them and their futures?
  2. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,596 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    645ß
    Ric, still think Long isn't starting week 1??? I doubt it.
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,795 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,992ß
    Depends, that was hardly Carolina's OL or Cincy's. Long and Mills both looked real solid though, they'll start but you better bet that Cincy is not going to just man up on Mills and Long, it won't be a vanilla D, and if these two get confused Cutler is the one that will be paying for it.
  4. Xa0sG0rilla

Xa0sG0rilla Veteran

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß
    Someone on the right side of the line got overwhelmed early in the game, but both Long and Mills battled back against the chargers' ones later in the quarter. This was more noticeable in the run game. Seemed a bit like the left side was better pass pro, the right side was better run blocking. Given the vanilla nature of the preseason though, I'm reluctant to read too much into this as of yet.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,795 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,992ß
    Xa0s, that's my biggest fear, and the Chargers hardly have a dominant DL compared to Carolina(last week) and Cincy(reg season wk 1). Cincy will not just go man up on the RT if it's two rookies. They'll blitz and stunt the hell out of them. And, again no one ever denied Long's physical ability, it's his experience that is going to be an issue he'll have not seen what Cincy is going to do, let alone the speed at which they'll do it.
  6. BlackDiamond

BlackDiamond Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I've only watched the first half, but I think they look good. Long can really get to the second level quick.

In other news, Bushrod is an animal.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,596 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    645ß
    Long is starting opening day. You can book it now. Doesn't mean he won't have gaffes and bad plays as he learns, he will. But Long is the week 1 starter case closed. No way you sit a guy with his athletic ability merely because he's "raw" in favor of a 2nd year small school udfa who's only slightly less raw. No way.
    • Like Like x 4
  8. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,596 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    645ß
    I noticed that too. And Mills acquitted himself fairly well for a rookie who's barely practiced yet with the 1s. The door to Webb's departure (or at least benching) just creaked open a few more inches.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. zelezo vlk

zelezo vlk Veteran

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Yeah...Cincy has what may be the best line in all of football. I'd hardly use them as an example, because almost every O line will need help against them. That San Diego front 7 isn't much to scoff at anyways. Trent Dilfer seemed to love Long's play.
  10. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,596 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    645ß
    Long showed tonight why he needs to be the starter, rawness and all.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Long was impressive both as a run blocker and a pass blocker. Mills was less so but still held his own much better than he did last week. Long can flat out dominate guys physically now so I can't wait to see how much better he can be once he learns the game. He's got all of the athleticism he needs to deal with stunts and blitzes he just needs to learn to recognize them. His highlight week for me should come when we play "the kittys". I can't wait to see him tangling with Suh. That bad boy is gonna have his hands full with Long if he tries to pull some of his usual crap. This I'm looking forward to.

Elsewhere around the OL horn I watched Boggs with some interest and although he's 25lbs lighter than Garza seemed to handle OC just about as well. Of course that's not saying all that much but he's still a rookie so maybe he's the guy Kromer can work some of his magic with. I wouldn't exactly call Brown a disappointment but I thought Long outplayed him and should leap frog him for the starting RG spot over these next two weeks. Britton seemed OK at RT or let's just say I didn't notice any badly blown assignments so it would appear that he's still pretty high in the mix.

The rest were poor to downright shitty. Webb, as usual, looked like he was just going through the motions. I saw no hustle out of him at all, no power in the run game, and he still sets up way too deep in pass protection and gives up his inside to the double move. He doesn't fire out and jolt his man with his hands and then retreat. He just back peddles halfway to the QB and set up. If he misses the block or fails to get his hands on his guy that guy is only a step or two from a sack. Thank God we signed Bushrod. As usual Webb is getting worse again before he gets better. I'm really starting to believe his only hope of sticking is as a swing OT.

EWill looked pretty pathetic. What's sad is that we really couldn't tell just how bad some of these guys were until we found ones who were far better. The other two guys who finished at RG (Dennis) and RT (Lindeman) were both worthless. I've already started a list of "first to go" and both are on it along with TE Gabe Miller.

San Diego's DL isn't all that great but is was a good game to get Long and Mills some extended playing time with both the 1st and 2nd string and I'd give both pretty high passing grades. If they can keep advancing they could very well be the right side of the line for the next decade.
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +504 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    117ß
    I got to see more of the first half on DVR and I have to say I was pretty elated with the right side of the OL.

Long just looked flat out solid and that is very encouraging to see. His foot work is noticeable on some pass pro and will need to improve but the way he manhandles people is good to see. Soul, I completely agree I can't wait to see a Long-Suh rumble because you can see the edge he plays with.

Mills surprised me with the consistency he played with. I noticed 3 plays where he got out of position and got beat but for the most part he looked like we may have something promising there. He is very solid both in pass pro and run block once he is engaged but his footwork could improve. I think he earned at least another week as the RT.

2 plays that stuck out to me was one forte run where they both got enormous push and looked very good and the rollout completion to BM. On the rollout they both stonewalled their man allowing for a beautiful lane for Cutler to roll and throw.​
    • Like Like x 1
  13. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,795 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,992ß
    W/a legit OL, tell me again how Forte is not an inside runner or goalline back.

Ya Long was impressive, I just hope when it's real that it's not to much for him, again it won't often just be a man up 1x1 block. Mills proves that you can get linemen anywhere in the draft that are quality.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,795 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,992ß
    Talking on 670, they said that Long was not even looking this solid 2 weeks ago, gotta love Kromer, no way Tice could develop someone this raw this quickly, even w/that kind of ability.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +504 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    117ß

Could very well be a big credit to Kromer. We are far from a finished product so I hope to see the same line with improved play come next week.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,702 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    795ß
    We have Michael Bush, who outweighs Forte by a lot, is fast and can catch the ball. Unless they keep both guys in at the goal line, Bush HAS to be the go-to.

As far as the rookies looked, I was impressed, for a preseason game. I did like that Trestman was testing Long in various ways, and had him pull on a running play, which he executed perfectly.

With all that said, we really enjoyed watching the game last night, and we shouldn't let our opinions of that game affect how we think the season is. Although that's easier said than done, as many of us (if not all) are cautiously optimistic anyway, and all last night did was give us reason to be optimistic. The only thing I would take away for sure is: The Chargers are a tire fire, making too many mistakes that should have been fixed in TC, and Long is going to be our starting RG, barring injury.
  17. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,795 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,992ß
    HB, I still haven't changed my standard for this team, it's 8 to 10 win team, soley based on how the OL performs. Long and Mills look promising, but lets face it, as you said SD is a dumpster fire, Next week should be a better indication though.
  18. BlackDiamond

BlackDiamond Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    That was something else that surprised me, the success in the run game to that side and on the bootleg, looked pretty damn good for a couple of rookies.
  19. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,596 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    645ß
    Great summary, Soul and I was struck by very similar things.
    Long: very encouraging, impressive, yes he's starting September 8th
    Mills: decent showing considering, I expected it to be way more rough
    EWilliams: showed the level of talent this OL used to consist of, guaranteed cut
    Bushrod: faltered at first, then rallied back nicely
    Webb: pathetic out there, no passion, going through the motions only, I pray we can cut his ass
  20. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +719 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    440ß
    The line is now locked in and Web will be canned. Long is not only future pro bowler but also future Hall of Famer.