Our Rookie Offensive Linemen

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Grizzblue, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,634 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    691ß
    I think letting Webb go will be a bit of a mistake. We have way too many god **** injuries on the line every year, and for some reason, we always let one guy go, and when we need him we're like "Why the **** did we let him go in the first place?! Angelo doesn't know ****". I mean, if they actually believe Webb just can't handle this offense, fine, but we're not exactly rich at any position on the line.
  2. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +487 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß

I agree, I think some fans can't seperate personal feelings from reality. He would be a good swing tackle and before we get ahead of ourselves the RT isn't locked yet. It wouldne a travesty if Mills wasn't given another week at RT but its not a done deal at all yet. IMO last night was just step one for Mills who will need one if not two strong showings in order to earn the job.
  3. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,634 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    691ß
    • Like Like x 1
  4. zelezo vlk

zelezo vlk Veteran

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    So you're saying they approve?
  5. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,634 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    691ß
    Did a little more research: The Raiders have a worse defensive line than the Chargers. In all, with a 4 man front, they only managed 25 sacks last year.
  6. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,691 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,867ß
    could be but that SD line is pathetic and weak....neither are good tests for a young OG/OT though, considering their first game is going to be against Cincy, and they are legit.
  7. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,634 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    691ß
    Oh, for sure. I'm just saying the hype is gonna grow if their line was as bad as it was last year, especially since we're getting ready to see game 3.
  8. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,691 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,867ß
    yep tons' of hype, and if they are not good in Cincy it might be the sky is falling....truth will be somewhere in the middle.
  9. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,634 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    691ß
    Yeah, and Cincy's the team that I'm most scared by, outside of Green Bay. If they play anywhere near the efficacy level they did against Cincy, that they did against San Diego, then I'll trust Emery even more than I do now.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,497 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    533ß
    The last regime of position coaches couldn't develop a roll of film in a darkroom.
  11. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,497 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    533ß
    Lol, like Oakland and Cleveland aren't dumpster fires?
  12. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Veteran

Ratings:
    +415 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    567ß
    Thats why - if they're smart ...... and if these guys are starting - then Martellus will have to take a backseat for a few games and help them "get through" their first few games . Thats what I'd do .
    • Like Like x 1
  13. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +167 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    68ß
    I was impressed with both & I'd be surprised if both weren't starting on opening day. One on one Long is a beast. As he learns blitz pickups, etc, he will be a monster! Mills looked much better than the last game so it seems both will only get better & better. I just hope our starting O-line can stay healthy because most of backups stink. I thought Brown looked like Omiyale & Webb still looked like Webb.
  14. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,497 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    533ß
    I read somewhere (WCG I think) that we are actually tighter against the cap then previously thought when all the factors are calculated in. So I do believe there is going to a vet cut or two that will surprise some people. Hester seems to have put his attitude back in the right place and flashed a bit of his old magic so he's probably safe. Weems may make the team as a star STer or he may be cut loose to save a little cash. EBennett could even be a goner if his health is bad enough to not risk paying him $2 million (I hope not, but he could possibly be done as a player if his concussion doesn't resolve per protocol soon).

Assuming Earl makes it back as I hope and expect, it seems to me that the coaching staff is looking hard for a way to accommodate cutting Webb. That would net us a $million or so with little dead money. Doesn't like like he has much chance of winning back his starting job that I can see and the current regime has no loyalty or ties to him. Basically comes down to whether someone else can start at RT and (more likely) supplant him as the backup LT/swing. I think Trest/Kromer would love to be able to part ways with him. They're looking for the chance as we speak.
  15. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +330 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    160ß
    the most exciting thing bout our new oline is that we will draft a c next year. and that is our olne for the next 5 years. like i said the day we drafted him, i like slausen and i believe we will play him on c occasionally, so maybe hell be our next c and well draft a g... to sum it up, so far so good, looks like someone has a plan and i like it
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Akuma2000

Akuma2000 Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    45ß
    Agreed...... I think Webb might as well start packing his bags, ever since Mills has been playing the Bears run game has been better on that side.
  17. stonehouse91

stonehouse91 Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Long full out dominated, the mental thing is the question but Mills and Long seem to be good together. A lot will fall on Garza and Cutler to point out the disguises. Physically they want to lay those on their backs every play and don't seem over matched. Say what you will about the opponent, big man vs. big man they both held their own. I sense a real cohesiveness in this group as well. Webb couldn't have cared less, Mills and Long WANT to be anchors on the right side, Bushrod seems to have taken them under his wing. Slauson has been a solid vet who wants to be here.

OL is all about attitude. These guys wanna put the guy they're blocking on their ass, not just stop them but put them down. Webb, Louis, Spencer, didn't have that attitude. Carimi did I think but he wasn't physical enough to actually do it.

They will put up with the rookie mistakes I believe because Mills and Long are going to learn, not just ho hum gave up another sack like Webb's attitude.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    66ß
    I need to see Mills stay out of his own pocket against the SCRUBS before I start him again and have Cutler lose his nerves. I was critical of Jay's pocket composure this game, but watching the tape it's clear to see that it all started with Mills collapsing directly in front of him every snap that had him rattled. The one example of the fumble sums it up, if he steps up straight, Mills' man is within arms reach for a play on him or the balls, so he tries going left and forward only to step into late backside pressure. Mills was impressive in the ground game, but so is Webb. He stayed in front of his man in pass pro, but only because he retreated to the point of pocket disruption. I understand him being passive and playing conservative, no-unforced error football as a rookie, but you need to be at least a little aggressive off the snap to establish the pocket.
    • Like Like x 2
  19. stonehouse91

stonehouse91 Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    he didn't get beat. Getting beat and getting pushed are two different things. That fumble was on Bennett, the guy had a clear path regardless if cutler stepped up or not.
  20. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    66ß
    Allowing a QB pressure isn't far off from straight up getting beat. You just can't allow the pocket to collapse that much on that regular a basis if you want to play in the NFL. The defender on his side was literally a belly's width away from Jay damn near right off the snap, that's unacceptable. Webb gets "beat" too often from inconsistencies, but at least he attacks and holds a deep edge in-between gaffes.