Our Rookie Offensive Linemen

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Grizzblue, Aug 15, 2013.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,446 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    636ß
    Prior to this year I'd say the was true but he's not running as high as used to. He's using more body lean and leg drive on contact. Now maybe it was the lack of an initial running lanes before that caused that I don't know. But with this zone scheme he's got some inside lanes, he's got the right kind of blocking for a change, and he's taking advantage.

And after watching the 58 yard burst with that pitch I'd say he's picked up some top end speed too. Had he not broken stride avoiding that tackler nobody would have caught him. Once he got control of that toss he looked like he was shot out of a gun. To me he looks like a more complete back than he's ever been before. He's hungry and it shows.

I'll also add that Bush it a real motherfrocker running with the ball. He'll get you two yards when there's no hole at all and turn two yard gainers into four and five yards gains just by carrying guys with him and moving the pile. He's a bull and I sure as hell hope they take advantage of that this year. He's very valuable compliment to Forte.
  2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,446 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    636ß
    Good point. In a WCO those OTs have to fire off and get a hand punch in and keep the penetration to minimum of there'll be no passing lanes to get rid of the ball through and still no time to get it off. That messes everything up. I didn't see that first series so I don't know exactly what happened but it must have been pretty ugly.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. CNYBearFan54

CNYBearFan54 Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I'd like to see the team come out and execute a run play for the first play of a game. I feel like that can set the tone to get your O-Lineman to really lay a smack on somebody early, then get them ready for a pass attempt!
  4. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    It's amazing how much a difference being healthy makes. Bush looks quick & powerful. Lets hope they can both stay healthy Soul. The difference between Forte having a Pro Bowl year or just a decent year is him staying healthy.
  5. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    LONG's looking like an ANIMAL IN PROGRESS ! ! ! !! YUP
  6. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Tice couldn't develop anyone to save his life let alone in a year.

I did watch a bit of the game and Long looked decent. Does he have work to do? Yes but he looked solid.
  7. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +443 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    45ß
    After his failed pick of Carimi I think Tice used up all his NFL coaching prospects. Carimi is on the 2nd line in Tampa and he allowed a sack last game.
  8. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,021 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    40ß
    Did he? I've been trying to keep track of him. They were really talking him up when he got there. I've got a feeling he is going to be a good player. But yeah, I read he was not going to be able to beat the guy in front of him. The guy seemed to be pretty good.
  9. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +443 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    45ß
    I watched Carimi last game and tried comparing his play to Mills and all I can say is WOW. Emery must have scouts that know more than the average bear. Because Mills is way more advanced to where he should be at this stage or he's just darn lucky on his blocks at this point. Or is Long like MJ who makes other people around him that much better?
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,021 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    40ß
    I am glad to hear this. I was looking at Carimi as a big loss for us. This is good news.
  11. A-11

A-11 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I don't really want to root against Carimi, but like BiH, I'm glad to hear your report Tree. I wanted to keep in touch with Gabe also just to see where our evaluations were falling.
  12. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +443 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    45ß
    I'm not rooting against Carimi either. I just want to see if this new regime assessment of players is better than the last group of clowns we had. So far so good..
  13. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +948 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    252ß
    I don't mind if players go elsewhere to succeed. What I don't like is for us to continue to flounder in developing talent. I can get over the past.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +443 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    45ß
    If a player leaves your team and becomes successful then there are a few problems in house. 1. You cannot assess talent 2. You cannot develop hidden talent or worse of all you do both. With 9 years of Lovie we saw both Manning cut plays well in Houston keep Davis because he’s a top TE in NFL and he has stone hands. Also let’s not forget the wonderful evaluation process of an O-line for last 5 years. If you don’t remember the past you are doomed to repeat it. And Bears organization is real good at repeating the past. Do I have go through the last 20 years of head coaches and GM’s? Unless you’re a Cub fan then just forget the last 100 years.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +992 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    25ß
    I was stoked when we first drafted Carimi. Thought he was going to be a stud T for a decade for us. Crow eaten...was dead wrong. That injury changed everything. As WindyCity and others here predicted, his knee limitations hampered his quickness and mobility enough that he could no longerplay the T position at a high level. If he was back fully healthy in pre-injured form, a 1st round former Outland Trophy winner should be easily winning the starting RT job in Tampa Bay.

The fact that he isn't and is riding the bench as a #2 tells you that Emery made the right call in getting what he could for him, especially after GC copped an attitude and basically snubbed the new coaching staff.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. blinddeafmute

blinddeafmute DaBears Ditka

Ratings:
    +1,338 / 4 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I understand what you are saying, but there is also much more to it than talent. It's always a factor of talent/cost/risk.

Manning was attrocious. And I don't just mean bad, that guy was absolutely horrible every year other than his contract year, then he decided to be decent.
  17. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +443 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    45ß
    Both start on Friday!!! the line in solidifying and I like it...
    • Like Like x 1
  18. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +443 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    45ß
    Long is the highest-graded guard in the NFL after two games and 86 snaps, according to ProFootballFocus.com stats analysis.

Hmmm..I wonder if he'll start the season with the 1st line?
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +417 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    Its refreshing to see that they will get to give it another go in the "dress rehearsal." This is absolutely huge for both guys as this will likely be an opportunity to grab the starting job and lock in for the RS opener. Really hoping to see another solid performance and let this UNIT start to solidify.
  20. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,162 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    21ß
    LOL at those who don't want Mills at RT yet Webb playing as a rook was ok. I'll take a rook w/a higher football I.Q. who has played at a higher level than a spoon fed golden child in year four just treading water to make it as a swing tackle.

MAN, I seriously don't get it with some of you posters. Most guys on here are very logical with great football minds but lose it w/marking out with Webb's metrics or "athleticism". It's year FOUR, we've already moved on from Carimi for Pete's sake. Let's move on from this....
    • Like Like x 2