Our Rookie Offensive Linemen

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Grizzblue, Aug 15, 2013.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,800 / 5 / -4
    Problem w/Webb, much like Cutler, it's there physically, it's just not there mentally(although w/Cutler it's a much lesser degree). You see Webb and go....NFL LT, and then you see him play and think, Warehouse jokey.
  2. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +740 / 2 / -0

It's an infatuation. He is a perfect combination of genetic traits.The perfect LT measurables (Tice) with Ronald McDonald Feet. What can possibly go wrong?
  3. stonehouse91

stonehouse91

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Roll the dice with the two rookies and let them take their lumps. They seem to want to get better, I think that's what drove everybody up the wall with Webb, oh I keep getting handed the job based off of pure talent alone, oh well too bad I gave up some sacks. Mills was projected to be a project, he earned it, he wants it.

I hope all the best of luck to Carimi, he had played pretty well in those first game and a half in 2011. Never got back to where he was, going back to Bostad in TB should be good for him.
  4. zelezo vlk

zelezo vlk

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Mills still has a ways to go to actually earn the long term starting job, but he sure earned another look. He allowed his side to collapse, which is not beneficial to Jay. I was a little worried when we didn't immediately sign Lance Louis (remember him?) at the start of the offseason. It looks now like he's second string there and more in danger of being cut than being a Pro Bowler (like we thought).
  5. stonehouse91

stonehouse91

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Louis is just now starting to play again.

"Dolphins OG Lance Louis (ACL) made his preseason debut in Saturday's game against the Texans.
    He played 19 snaps, and the Dolphins were "encouraged" by Louis' play. Finally back on the practice field, Louis should blow by UDFA Josh Samuda and challenge John Jerry (knee) for Miami's right guard job. Jerry is expected to return to practice this week after missing nearly three weeks of action"

He still isn't at 100% yet either. He'll likely start there sooner rather than later.

Mills did allow his side to collapse, but not really unexpected. I would think the Bears want consistency more so than anything else. If Mills is going to get pushed back okay they can work around that with Bennett or Forte chipping or etc, I know it sounds like a broken record but I trust that knowing you have less is better than guessing you have better. If he is going to get beat badly one play, while stonewalling a guy the next, it's much more difficult to know if it needs to be addressed.

Plus Jay can see when it's the RT, when it's on his blindside he would hear footsteps rather than see it, even when it wasn't there.
  6. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +740 / 2 / -0

I always felt like he was a good pick. The only way to steal someone is to be willing to risk more than someone else. There were several teams that were willing to take a risk on this guy. Emery was just willing to take a bigger risk than the others that were going to pick him and he threw the dice at #20. He looks like a fortune teller now. It could have gone the other way and he would be crucified.

Although I really felt Long would be a great player, and even possibly a pro-bowler, hall of famer, you just really don't know. It is starting to look like that really might be the case with him. I'll say for sure that even though I was pretty sure he would be really good, I did not expect him to come on so fast. The guy is even going to exceed my expectations and they were pretty high to begin with.

I think picking him with #20 is going to look like a steal in the rear-view mirror. I thought we were picking a great player with a stretch early pick, but it may be the opposite. I think he looks like he will be a top 5 talent and possibly the best OL in the draft.

crazy... I don't every remember Angelo ever hitting on a gamble like this. I hope to see a few more from Emery. I'm even willing to put up with a few more Shea type picks as Long (pun intended!) as he can do this a few more times.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +740 / 2 / -0
    That's another decision that I didn't care for. Emery has done some things that I really don't like, but he has done enought things that I do like to keep me on his side.
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  8. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears

Ratings:
    +365 / 0 / -0
    I agree with what you are saying. I just feel it wasn't a big gamble with him and here's why. What Emery said after the pick made all the sense in the world to me and made me a believer in Emery's vision. When he said Long graded off the charts in physical ability and all the coaches agreed unanimously on the pick. Now that saying something right there and that was all I needed to know about this guy. Imagine how often all the defensive coaches agree on O-linemen should be #1 pick, that should be a major sign right there. Now for the fun part this guy Long supposedly doesn't know how to play guard all that well yet. (WHAT?!!) So what is he going to look like when he does know what he's doing? Who here is working on his bust? lol
  9. stonehouse91

stonehouse91

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    No doubt it was a risk but the risk was with based off of sample size, not injury history, not off the field things(I know he has a history but listening to the kid talk a few times you realize he has grown up and has a support system that they were pretty comfortable he won't go back). Now with that being said, if you look at that sample size, you can draw a few things, one is his athletic ability translates to on the field, two is he was never overwhelmed. The Bears worked him out, I'm sure Meyer and Kromar went to Marc and Phil and said yes, we can put all this together and make him worth the risk. So despite the small sample size, working him out and seeing that he can do the things you want him to do also likely took away a lot of the risk. So outsiders questioned, people in the organization saw a risk no bigger than other first rounders.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,516 / 0 / -0
    The one thing that made me feel good about these rookies is that in running plays they manhandled some people. How many times in past years did we see the OL players get stuffed and pushed back? It made me sick to watch. But now we have two guys on the right side of the line who can flat blow people up. It was really really good to watch.

They made some rookie mistakes, and need to improve, but they are already better than anyone I've seen on that right side in quite a long time. Hope they can stay healthy all year.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. stonehouse91

stonehouse91

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Amen, they have the attitude we haven't seen in years. Webb, CWill, Louis, Spencer were finesse players. I want my OL not to be satisfied until they knock the DL on their ass play after play.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Xa0sG0rilla

Xa0sG0rilla

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    Mills and Long blowing people back on Fortes' TD run was one of the plays I watched multiple times.
  13. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,800 / 5 / -4
    won't be that easy when the games are real, lets not get the hopes set to high. SD sucks for 1, and for 2 rarely are you going to see a team tell their DL to go straight man up against 2 rookie OL side by side. Long and Mills are going to get suckered a lot this year.
  14. stonehouse91

stonehouse91

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    SD doesn't have a bad front seven and run a 3-4 and were able to hold up just fine which is a bit more of a challenge then 4-3, but yes, a DC will be looking for ways to test them. Up to them, Kromer, Trestman, Garza, and Jay, to help them out in the ways they can. But as I said earlier it's much easier to know that they need help. Also once they get locked on to a player even if it is the wrong player if they can win vs losing against the right player.

Jay said he felt at ease, if he didn't think they would hold up, I guarantee Jay would say something to the coaches this week, they don't have time to play with the OL. Players know, if guys won't be able to hold up then in particular Jay, Forte, Garza wouldn't let them move forward with it. Kromar doesn't seem to think they'll be in over their heads, growing pains will happen no doubt but seeing as they have done better than Britton, Scott and Webb have done, it seems there isn't much question.
  15. JPosh2012

JPosh2012

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    I will admit that I was like "WTF???" when we first picked Long. However if Long can keep it up I will be eating crow. I do believe he can and will keep it up. So will Mills.
  16. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +740 / 2 / -0
    I liked the pick, but I was like WTF?! because we took him earlier than I thought it merited taking him. I thought he would be good but not dominant this year. Right now, I actually think he can be dominant before the year is up and in two years will be near the top of whatever position they have him playing at.

It turns out that Emery was right in picking him where he did. That is surprising, but it is a pleasant surprise!
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  17. jbunch14

jbunch14

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0
    Long is obviously very intelligent, it oozes out of him on each of his interviews. I believe that Emery said Long had once in a generation athletic skills when they were doing their evaluation of him before the draft. Looking at his total dominance so far combined with his miniscule experience, leads me to believe we may have a tremendous player on our hands. If Mills turns out to be quality at RT, then we will have the building blocks for the future of our OL. Bushrod and Slauson are not that old, and only Garza will need to be replaced. That is definitely a big change from the past, and definitely a positive beginning to the Emery/Trestman era.
  18. Grizzblue

Grizzblue

Ratings:
    +269 / 0 / -0
    I'm excited as the next guy over the early success of Long (and Mills) but I want to see more before I am ready to crown Emery for the pick. He had a tremendous first showing, but I want to see the two work together during the RS, and have success with it. I am not saying I doubt either guy actually think they will do quite well. I just want to see constant improvement from week to week that will allow these two to have long careers here.
  19. JPosh2012

JPosh2012

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    Don't get me wrong I like him but I thought that he wouldn't go until the 2nd round but so far I like him. I hope he keeps it up especially tonight against Oakland.
  20. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +197 / 0 / -0
    Mills has turned up the pass pro aggression and looks outright dominant at times. Quite the week-to-week progression from blah week one, decent week two and good week three.
    • Like Like x 3