Overall value (3 fanspeak mocks Rd 1 with Donald, Mosley, and Pryor)

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, Mar 21, 2014.

1. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +920 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,087ß
    I like the first or 3rd one the best. Jimmy Ward was only avail in RD 2 in the first mock. So not sure you can bank on him being there. No real CB avail either on first one so not sure if you would take a TE, another DT or what in first one. I like Mosley and Quarles in the 2nd one but Safeties not helping.. With Ward I like the first one the best. but not sure he will be there. I

upload_2014-3-21_15-2-20.png
    Ward not avail below in rd 2
    upload_2014-3-21_15-17-26.png

upload_2014-3-21_15-28-31.png
  2. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +330 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    160ß
    whoow, love the first one, love it, donald, ward and baptiste are my guys!
  3. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    No doubt the first one would trip a of peoples triggers if it fell that way. Two is OK too but I'm not sure I'd rate their CB pick that high. Three I, well three. That would be my least liked selection. If we aren't playing a Cover-2 shell much any longer then two guys, Mundy and Pryor who rate more as SS as opposed to a true centerfielder type FS for a one deep zone makes more sense and that's why I actually favor Ward over Pryor. The bigger question here is whether either he or Quarles falls far enough to even take them in two. That's somewhat questionable.
  4. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +748 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    Can someone please share what the hell they see in Logan Thomas? His stats are terrible. Yea, he's got a gun and yea he's big, but he's a QB with terrible accuracy. Any mock that has us taking him I have problems with, even late.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Probably because he's better TE material than QB material. ;)
  6. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    Just a flash from the past (speaking of QBs that coulda/shoudla been TEs)

[​IMG]
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Best arm for the deep ball I ever saw. The only trouble is he threw every pass like it was a deep pass and he had all the accuracy of a cross-eyed skeet shooter. I loved to watch him run though and have three guys hanging on him trying to gang tackle him.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    I saw him in Lake Forest standing next to the old punter/TE Bob Parsons. He was bigger than Parsons.

I've always wondered what would have happened to him if he had good coaches (like the offensive staff we have now).
  9. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    They'd have probably made a RB out of him like Gibron should have. :18_1_301[1]: :rofl2:
  10. dabears

dabears Veteran

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    I like the 1st as well with all 3 picks addressing glaring needs/holes at FS, DT, and CB. Can someone tell me though Jimmie Ward has the coverage skills to play center field? I've seen a couple of mocks that say he does not have great pursuit on lines of closing the gap for deep coverage.
  11. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +1,011 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,155ß
    I'm gonna say it, there's a good chance Ward will go in the first and Jean-Baptiste in the second round.
  12. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +487 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß

Because he's supremely talented with major but correctable flaws. Any qb we take will likely be a late round guy and stastically speaking they probably won't develop into "our guy" anyways. Thomas has as high if not higher ceiling of any qb in this draft or any other for that matter. He has Newton like traits that can't be coaches (size, arm strength, ect.) What can be coached is his accuracy and pre snap reads, the two glaring weaknesses in his game. Allegedly we have one of the best in the business in a qb developer so IMO it would make sense to draft a guy like him and see if Trestman can't fix his flaws while Cutler is still here. If 2-3 years down the road it isn't working out we simply reroll and start the process over. Anyone we take this late at qb will likely not grow into our starter but Trestman can't coach other flaws like being undersized or not having an nfl arm. He can coach accuracy and reads so IMO this is worth the gamble.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +167 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    68ß
    Me too. He had 968 yards rushing in 1972. Probably not much more passing. lol. It took 2-3 DL to tackle Douglass. I remember a game against the Bills when after breaking his left wrist (his throwing hand) he threw 4 TD passes. The injury probably prevented him from firing the ball & he became accurate.
  14. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    OMG Im in tears here laughing so hard!
  15. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    I saw Virgil Carter throw one almost 90 yards when he was with the old "Chicago Fire" (World League).
    OOPS I just dated myself AGAIN !
    :D
  16. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    I think so db. I actually think with his size he's better off playing deep than "in the box" but he appears to have the skills for both. I see him as a Mike Brown type kid. Similar size and tools. Most teams make less of a distinction between the FS and SS these days if they play two deep zone as the Bears have done a lot of. So guys like Ward and Pryor who have played both in college have a lot of value to zone teams.

He may not last until our pick in the 2nd but also has to have some surgery on his foot and that may create enough caution to cause him to drop. Even though some have him ranked at the top SS those same scouting reports are showing him falling a bit. So who knows where he'll go.

JIMMIE WARD SS, Northern Illinois
    • 2014 Grade: B 6.6x HT: 5'11" WT: 192

Size - 5106 - 197 - 4.49

Strong Points - Productive, instincts, run support and tackle, can play man on a slot, zone, ball reactions and hands, range

Weak Points
    - Has a foot injury that requires surgery and will prevent him from doing any private workouts, lacks ideal size for the position, doesn't play to timed speed

2013 Stats: 95 total tackles, seven interceptions, one sack

Summation - Ward is a fourth-year senior and a three-year starter for the Huskies. As a freshman in 2010, he played in every game and was an outstanding special teams' performer with three blocked kicks. He became a fulltime starter at safety in 2011. In 2012 tape, he played closer to the line of scrimmage, in short, he was more of a box safety. He still played deep at times and was put in man coverage situations on an inside receiver. In 2013, while he still played up tight at times, it wasn't as often. He was still used to cover inside receivers.
    Ward has good athleticism. He is quick with good change of direction, a good turn, and good overall body control. He timed 4.49 at his pro day, but I don't see that speed on the field. He played more like a 4.55 type.

Ward is a quick reactor with good instincts. He shows good anticipation and is around the ball. He is effective as a run support player, showing the ability to take on and shed blocks and is a consistent tackler. He is used to blitz at times and does a good job coming off the edge.

When in man coverage, he shows the turn and mirror skills needed. He has a good jam and does well versus shorter routes. He doesn't have the long speed to consistently cover deep, but has good ball reactions and closes well to make plays.

In zone, he shows good awareness. He has the anticipation and range to get to the sideline from the hash. For the most part, he keeps plays in front of him and does not get beaten deep. I did see him blow a coverage in their Bowl game versus Utah State. He was beaten deep but was able to recover and get the PBU.

Overall, Ward has the instincts and skills to be an eventual starting strong safety in the NFL. He lacks ideal size, and the fact that he needs foot surgery will hurt his draft value. I see him as a solid third round type, with the injury potentially dropping him to the fourth.
  17. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Hey R, you only as old as you feel. Or as Groucho was fond of saying, "only as old as those you feel". ;)

I always though Virgil Carter was the one we let get away. He was another one of those Drew Brees size guys and we kept Douglass instead hoping to make him a decent passer while Carter went to Cincy and actually had some success. Man the Bears really sucked bilge water in those day.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +748 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    Wow, we've got some old guys in this thread. Bobby Douglass, Abe Gibron, Virgil Carter...damn, we're going back fellas. I remember the only guy that ever seemed to be able to catch Bobby's passes was George Farmer. He would catch it along the numbers and the velocity would carry him out of bounds, but he hung on.:lol3:
    • Like Like x 2
  19. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

Well actually it was my grandfather who told me all about these guys so that's how I know. That and old NFL Films stuff. :rolleyes::rofl2:

Oops, gotta go. My wheelchair is double parked. :p
    • Like Like x 2
  20. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    Yeah, us "Old Farts" have pretty much seen it all. Don't know if that's good or bad.
    ;)