Overview Comparison: Jared Allen vs Julius Peppers

Discussion in 'Front Page News' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Jul 6, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,662 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,160ß
    Overview Comparison: Jared Allen vs Julius Peppers
    Tonight I was curious about the statistical comparison of Jared Allen vs Julius Peppers. I've read a couple of articles comparing the two, but none of them included all of their career stats. I thought I'd post what I found here in case anyone else wanted to have a simple head-to-head comparison of their careers to date. These stats are from NFL.com and pro-football-reference.com. I also tried to include the more important career awards, records and even some of the more obscure stats. I'm sure there's much more than these, so if you know of others please share them here if you can.

[​IMG]
    Peppers and Allen. Getty Image

Both of these guys have had stellar careers, and my gut feeling is that both of them (barring injury) will have solid seasons for their new teams. It's probably going to be a win/win situation for both the Bears and Green Bay. One writer mentioned that the only "loser" this year is the Vikings who will now have to face Jared Allen, Julius Peppers & Ndamukong Suh in six of their games this season. Allen and Peppers in particular will be highly motivated to prove themselves for their new teams - and prove that they still have something left in the tank. Don't expect Peppers to look like the player he was for the Bears last year. He'll be solid for the Packers (this year anyway).

Two things that do stand out to me in a head-to-head comparison of these two are the fact that Peppers is a true physical freak with his size/speed. When he turns it on, he can move his 287 pound 6'7" body with great speed and power. Allen on the other hand has a much higher motor. Peppers is known for taking plays, and even games, off. He'll loaf. Allen simply doesn't have laziness in his DNA. He's 100% effort 100% of the time. I love that about him.

Anyway, I'd like to hear from others what they expect to see from these two this season. Which man will have the greater impact for his new team?

Jared AllenJulius Peppers
    Ht6'6”6'7”
    Wt270287
    Age3234
    Experience11th Season13th Season
    Games Played157186
    Combined Tackles555556
    Tackles442448
    Assisted Tackles113108
    Sacks128.5118.5
    Safeties40
    Passes Defended5059
    Interceptions59
    Touchdowns12
    Interception Yards53192
    Pro Bowls58
    1st Team All Pro43
    NFL Sack LeaderTwiceNever
    SN NFL Defensive Player of the YearOnceNever
    NFC Player of the YearOnceOnce
    Drafted4th Rnd - Pick 1261st Rnd – Pick 2
    Defensive Rookie of the Year?YesYes
    2013 Total Tackles5245
    2013 Sacks11.57
    2013 Passes Defended63
    2013 Forced Fumbles22
    2013 Interceptions01
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
  2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Nice work brother and I agree with you that both will benefit from their change of scenery and if Pep does decide to take any games off it won't be the two against us.

I loved having Pep but last year the guy was a major disappointment not only as a performer but as a leader. When we needed that most he wasn't there to provide it.

Now enter Jared Allen and that's practically the first thing he does. He's here to win and that means helping everyone around him play better. IMHO between the two we've got the better deal as far as a fit for what that defense needed plus he's two years younger.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +962 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    524ß
    Well, it's easy to see that Allen has a bigger impact on his team. He equals the tackles of Peppers with two less years.

One thing to note, Allen is PURE energy! When is the last time the Bears have seen the level of play he brings?

the Bears need to break out of that routine. Lets face it, when they make a good play they get pumped, just not "electric". They get more like a businessman that got two twinkies out of the vending machine for the price of one.

Allen is the kind of excitment that players want to be around. He will make everyone better around him just from that energy. Peppers doesn't bring that.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +691 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    396ß
    Jared HIGH HIGH motor team feed off his play, Julius motor fits better with basket weaving. Safties 4 and NFL sack leader twice, Julius ZERO!! WOW!! I'll take this swap any day of the week, nice work JABF99.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,662 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,160ß
    LOL........
    I thought I'd die laughing when I read this DTB. That's a "classic" for sure :-)

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  6. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +705 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    320ß
    :lolsign:

Great writeup JABF99.

Peppers took last year off, loafing around, eating twinkies and weaving baskets to keep them in (a twinkie is a loaf, right?). He took off a year or two ago also with his foot problem. But he won't this year. I wonder if he has a full season left in his tank, but one thing's for sure, his best two games will be against us. Hopefully our O-line learned enough after having practiced against him and they can contain him. Who knows, maybe his plantar fasciitis will come back and bother him again, giving him another excuse for taking plays off.

If he plays hard against us only, I'll be done with him as a former Bear. He will be a cheesehead fudgepacking twinkie eater for ever.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Where'd you get that. Well this is embarrassing and I guess I forgot to shave that day too. :redface:

The senior center said no pics and no pics mean no pics. :nonono:
    • Funny Funny x 1