P Mannelly retiring

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by strockrocks, Jun 20, 2014.

1. strockrocks

strockrocks Veteran

Ratings:
    +218 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    Per Brad Biggs:

BREAKING: #Bears long snapper Pat Mannelly will announce retirement after 16 NFL seasons today. Chicago Tribune story coming shortly.
    • Like Like x 3
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,311 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,483ß
    Good luck to you in all your future endeavors Mr. Chicago Bear, 16 seasons, that is crazy long.

He has a pretty good radio show w/ZZ on Weds, I wonder if he'll branch out to more of a daily show. He's pretty good at it.
  3. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,049 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,291ß
    Thanks P-Mann! Greyest long snapper in history. Good luck in retirement
  4. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +307 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    131ß
    Thank you for everything
  5. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +709 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    489ß
    Great career and a hell of a long snapper!
    • Like Like x 1
  6. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    62ß
    End of an era. Thank you Mannelly!
  7. draw2anderson35

draw2anderson35 Veteran

Ratings:
    +97 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    A great example of durability, leadership & consistency.

A well deserved retirement for Patrick Mannelly.

Happy mullet hunting!
  8. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +915 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    920ß
    God dammit, sad to see the best LS in Bears history (and probably NFL history) go.

Thank you for 16 great seasons. Enjoy retirement, you sir have earned it.

:cheers: #65
  9. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    I kind of saw this coming when he still wasn't decided on it by now. They coaches need a solid roster for the start of camp and it's only fair to the two LS they have now to let them know where they stand.

Good luck and all the best wishes to Pat Mannelly. He's been a rock and we'll miss him. :1stprize:
  10. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +828 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    870ß
    Sad day and exciting day. Sad to see Mannelly go as he was awesome and after 16 yrs, JOB WELL DONE.

Exciting in that a new era is coming and hopefully the next 16 years of stability and greatness.
  11. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +962 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    524ß
    I don't remember a botched snap on special teams, he's been that consistant.
  12. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,311 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,483ß
    Saw an article about Mannelly, he's 43rd in most games played for the entire history of the NFL at 245 or so games. That's amazing.

it said he was speaking w/Gould and Gould told him that LS's they have on the team are NFL ready and should be gtg which helped ease his mind, but said his body told him he was done after the rehab was almost complete
  13. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +962 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    524ß

I love Mannelly's honesty. Too many players try to hang around for more money, when their bodies are shot.
  14. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +706 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    321ß

From the tribune...

Maybe he's a bit superstitious and was afraid of botching his last snap like those other guys?

54 games more than Mongo and Olin? Wow.

And the streak of unblocked punts is also amazing.

Sad to see you go, Pat.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,311 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,483ß
    If ever a LS were to get into the HoF, this guy says it'd have to be that guy. [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  16. strockrocks

strockrocks Veteran

Ratings:
    +218 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    7 playoff games. 7 PLAYOFF GAMES!!!

That is ALL Mannelly has been a part of in SIXTEEN FREAKING YEARS!!!!! That's it! Not 7 years of playoffs, 7 stinking games.

I find this totally unacceptable. This has GOT to change.
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,231 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    157ß
    Greatest LS of all time imo. Hope someday he comes to coach ST. On the bright side we are now the NFL's youngest team with him retiring lol.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,202 / 3 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    574ß
    Cheers to an all time Bear!
  19. e-town beardown

e-town beardown Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I think he might be the teams biggest loss from last year. 2,282 plays without botching one snap is insane. Especially considering how much one can change a game
    • Like Like x 2
  20. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,311 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,483ß
    shit ton of articles on this, so I thought I'd put one more in there, Hub's been doing Bears stuff for 35 years, and has some pretty good prospective on a guys 16 year career:

http://www.chicagofootball.com/2014/06/20/hub-arkush-bears-mannelly-calls-it-quits/a6rm79q/

Hub Arkush: Bears' Mannelly calls it quits

By HUB ARKUSH – harkush@chicagofootball.com - Friday, June 20, 2014 6:03 p.m. CDT

It occurred to me this morning out of nowhere that I am most definitely the elder statesman of the Bears' mainstream media. On any given day, a glance around the press room reveals a ton of talent, almost all of it better than me and barely more than half my age, if that.
    That epiphany came to me on the occasion of the media conference call with Pat Mannelly during which he discussed his decision to retire and end a career that made him the longest tenured player in the history of the National Football League’s most storied franchise.
    My status in chronicling Mannelly’s place in Chicago Bears history is relevant only in the context that in the 35 years that I have now logged on the Bears beat, I can’t think of a single player who was better at his job, more accepted or well-liked in the locker room, more professional, any classier or more appropriate in his dealings with the media and fans or a more pleasant and easy guy to be around and to visit with.
    Let’s take care of the stats first.
    Mannelly’s 16 seasons as a Bear, spanning three decades and 245 games played, are both all–time Chicago Bears records. He appeared in all 16 games in 12 of his 16 seasons, played in at least 14 games in all but one season and missed just 11 games over his entire career.
    Mannelly attempted 2,282 long snaps without ever missing a punter or holder and also notched 81 special teams tackles in coverage.
    He has been the best long snapper in the league over at least the past 10 seasons or so.
    Asked how he knows it’s time to move on, Mannelly replied, “I said I’d listen to my body. And my body’s tapping me on the back and saying, ‘That’s it, bud. I think you’re done.’ So it’s been an awesome 16 years. And I’m fortunate to be able to walk away. People always say that. But I am. The body is just done.”
    When he was asked about some of the most memorable games of his career, Mannelly singled out the 2006 NFC Championship Game win over the Saints and his first game as a Chicago Bear, a 24-23 loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars in the 1998 season opener in which Todd Sauerbrun punted four times and Jeff Jaeger was 3 of 4 on field goal attempts.
    I asked him when he realized he might be able to make a career out of long–snapping.
    “My junior year," Mannelly said. "Joe DeLamielleure was our O-line coach there (Duke). And Bob Trott was the other. DeLamielleure is a Hall of Famer, and Trott has been an NFL assistant for a long time.
    "They mentioned to me when scouts would come in looking at the seniors, that hey, you’ve got a skill that could last a long time in the NFL. Make sure you keep working on it. You could possibly get a job with that. And the funny thing is, I was dating my (now) wife at the time. My senior year comes along. She wanted to know, ‘What are we going to do?’ I said, ‘Well, I have a chance to be a long snapper in the NFL.’ Her quote was, ‘That’s a job?”
    When I asked Mannelly about the other Chicago Bears who’d made a significant impact on his life, he was quick to focus on one teammate in particular.
    “Well, Hub, you know one of them. No. 57, Olin Kreutz. We came in together. We’ve got a pretty special relationship. He sent me a pretty cool text this morning from Hawaii.”
    I’m sure Mannelly was referring to a special friendship more than the times we had laughed about Olin wanting to tear an arm or a leg off me or some other ink-stained wretch.
    Mannelly’s retirement is a huge loss to the Bears, all their fans and the media. But this day comes for every player who’s ever put on a uniform and this young man has earned nothing less than our undying gratitude and respect. We can worry about the football team later.
    What is my single most striking impression of Patrick Mannelly’s career?
    Of the thousands of Bears I’ve seen come and go over the years, I don’t think I’ve known a better guy.
    • Hub Arkush is the editor of Chicago Football. He can be reached at harkush@chicagofootball.com or on Twitter @Hub_Arkush.
    • Like Like x 1