Paea Promises DLine Will Show Huge Improvement..........

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Jun 6, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Paea: We're going to run through O-Lines that come into our stadium
    June 6, 2014, 8:00 pm

Ads by Keep Now
    Ad Options

cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0
    style="padding: 0; border-spacing: 0"
    >

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Stephen Paea was feeling healthy and confident after Tuesday's Bears OTA at Halas Hall. It'd been awhile since he'd been either. The same can be said of the Bears' defensive line. The more hurt they physically experienced last season, the more hurt opposing offenses put on them.

"We're just gonna run through the O-Lines that come into our stadium," Paea said. First, let's hope that's true. Second, let's hope they do it in the eight other stadiums they'll visit.

[MORE: Bears playoff miss could dial up heat on Emery]

To clarify, that statement came at the end of his reaction to how general manager Phil Emery has reloaded that group, and how it now affects his playing time, and possibly his roster security. After all, it was a year ago the 2011 second-round pick was expected to have a breakout season after improvement and an increased snap count his first two years. It was going to be him, Henry Melton, Julius Peppers, and the Corey Wootton/Shea McClellin combo that would pick up where the line left off in 2012, combining for 38 sacks. Then the injuries came to Melton, Nate Collins, and Paea, who fared better than the other two in that he didn't suffer a season-ending torn ACL. But the turf toe he sustained at Detroit in the fourth game resulted in missing three contests overall, and when he did play, he just wasn't the same. The linemen accounted for just 21 sacks last season.

"I let my teammates down," Paea said. "The best thing about it is I have a second chance to do it. I'm gonna step up there fighting and help my teammates, just put a chip on my shoulder. It's the last year of my contract. It's an `all-in' year for me."

So throw in the "something-to-prove" factor. And between free agency and the Day 2 draft selections of interior linemen Ego Ferguson and Will Sutton, the bell is about to ring, and Paea knows he must answer it.

"You can't complain with (Jared) Allen, (Jeremiah) Ratliff, and Lamarr (Houston). I'm learning a lot from those guys. They're gonna make me better and we're gonna make each other better, chemistry-wise. Not only that, we have the new guys coming in, the draft picks. The competition is high and that's a good thing. Ratliff used to work with (new defensive line coach) Paul Pasqualoni (with the Cowboys). They're on the same page and I’m excited. It’s like two coaches teaching me in the huddle and off the huddle. It’s exciting."

Paea broke out his pregame Haka Dance last season in hopes of firing his defensive teammates up. He hopes to be doing it again prior to the Sept. 7 season opener at Soldier Field against the Buffalo Bills. That may be difficult to teach his fellow Bears, but just as Ratliff and Pasqualoni are passing tips along to him, Paea says he'll follow suit with Ferguson and Sutton, despite his battle with them over who starts when the Bills come to town.

"I’m not gonna be selfish," Paea promises. "I was once a young guy and they deserve the coaching and help from their peers, especially me. Comeptition is good. That’s the beauty of the game."
  2. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Veteran

Ratings:
    +342 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    436ß
    I was really high on him coming out of college . Since ..... I've compared him to Zorich . Decent but nothing special . Granted , he's been nicked up ever since he's been here . But hopefully he can have ( for once ) an injury free season and produce like he did in college . Ur not the Pack 10 POY for no reason . The friggin talents always been there - time to play like you used to amigo .
    • Like Like x 2
  3. okay

okay Rookie

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    15ß
    Yeah unfortunately he's been nicked up a lot but on the bright side he hasn't had any really serious injuries since coming into the league.

Year 1 - Rookie season still recovering from MCL injury he sustained during senior bowl practices that dropped him out of the 1st round. Didn't start any games but contributed and showed some flashes and burst including a safety sack on McNabb on his debut.

Year 2 - Knee feeling a lot better, expected some big things. Injured ankle in preseason. Started 14 games at NT and was solid but nowhere near his expected ceiling.

Year 3 - Turf toe, played through it though and managed to start 10 games. Seemed to start the season off well until he was banged up.

Year 4 - If he can stay healthy it could be a breakout year for him. Every season he's had an injury effecting his lower body (knee, ankle, turf toe). Currently pegged as the starter at NT but has the burst to play 3T too. Even if the coaches prefer the size of Ego at NT and Paea doesn't start I'm sure he will get plenty of snaps and chances to show what he's got.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +215 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    519ß
    okay , Welcome aboard ! I love your subliminally.
  5. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß

Yeah I though of him being a lot like Zorich but bigger stronger and faster. Plus Samoan and Tongan linemen usually make good football players. It's their warrior mentality. I don't know that he's ever gonna be a Pro Bowl level guy but I think he can be a solid guy in the rotation and that's really what we need from him.

Okay that's a nice summary you did and yeah he's never been completely healthy for an entire year. He shows some flashes and then he ends up playing hurt but he plays with those hurts. Just rubs some dirt on it and back in the game. That's the warrior in him. One good year of consistent play and he'll get a shot at an extension.

I always have liked the idea that he can play at the DT spot as well and maybe if Ferguson comes on faster than expected he'll get some snaps there too. He's almost as quick off the ball as Sutton.
  6. BossK

BossK Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    Weeellll.... if he doesn't play well and get an extension, I'll have to adopt a new Bear.

I don't want a new Bear.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß

And I hope you don't need to get one. I'm really pulling to Paea to so well this year. If he can stay healthy I think he can do some damage.
  8. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +404 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    95ß
    This DL could be scary good if Coach P is as good as advertised thus far. If all these guys live up to their potential we're going to have one of the deeper rotations around. Young, Houston, and Allen can all get after it and not to mention younger guys like Bass and Corny benefiting from someone who actually teaches technique and angles and hand placement. Then you got Ratliff, Collins, Paea, Ego, and Sutton providing some seemingly great play from the middle. Ratliff was a beast and he seemed to be returning to Pro Bowl form after the injury and Collins and Paea have both flashed the ability to be good-great DT's before injuries claimed them. Ego and Sutton are an injection of youth and talent to make this DL very well rounded.

Now you're blitzing Fuller, DB's and our LB's who almost all boast some talent rushing the passer and we could have our Monsters back.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +289 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß
    Turf toe is like a hamstring, you just never know if it is healed.

I hope he can come back, but there is a reason they drafted and picked up d-lineman in the off season.
  10. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +708 / 6 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    967ß
    I know how you feel. My adopted Bear is going to have the fight of his life to make the roster now that Allen and Houston have arrived. It is going to come down to Bass, CornWash, and Izzy for the last spot on the DL.
  11. EternalChampion

EternalChampion Veteran

Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    151ß
    Everyone playing offensive or defensive line in the NFL is chronically injured. Either you can play or you can't. I want Paea to be the man. I felt he was virtually unblockable his senior year at Oregon State. Step up brother!
  12. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +215 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    519ß
    Especially this year ... because if you dont you aint needed.
  13. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    There's no doubt we'll be letting DLinemen go who might have made last years team and started. The competition for the last two or three spots is gonna be pretty fierce all of which should make even the 3rd tier guys pretty damn good. You have to appreciate Emery's approach to continually upgrading when and where he can. Not only will it improve the quality of the depth but it keeps guys on their toes and always competing for their jobs.

Not many guys will be getting a free season pass for the 53 man roster and if you don't perform once you've gotten that you won't be getting a second one. That's what's putting guys like Greene and Washington "on the bubble" already. For years we've lacked good depth. Guys who could step up when a guy went down with little if any decline in play. It looks like we're bound and determined not to let that be an issue any longer.
  14. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +215 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    519ß
    I always got the feeling that Paea was riding the paycheck ,now he may have to be what we wanted him to be.

Or else in this CURRENT organization ... he is one gone goose.