Paea talks about DL issues (good read)

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Oct 14, 2013.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,530 / 0 / -0
    I can understand how throwing in green guys from the bench, including Minter who has never even played against a bigtime college team, much less an NFL team - is resulting in poor play. It should help to have Paea back.

I had to laugh (in a sick way) about Paea describing the rooks not having a clue what the signals even meant. What an abortion.

2. butka

butka

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    I understand the part of chemistry, but the young guys not knowing the non-verbal signals is a failure on the part of the coaching staff and veterans. Playing defense isn't exactly rocket science. They should have those non-verbal signals down and understood, across the board, before the game. And if you're a veteran expecting the young guys to know and no one has taught them that, then you're a moron. If the young guys should have known it, but didn't, then coach them up.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member

Ratings:
    +609 / 2 / -1
    ...OR at least tell them in the next huddle "this is what I meant". Holy crap.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. short faced bear

short faced bear

Ratings:
    +1,068 / 0 / -1
    Really not a ringing endorsement of either Tucker or the D line coach that's for sure.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

Ratings:
    +1,943 / 8 / -2
    With all the players that were out against the Giants, I'm not as worried about the defense, per se, as I am the offense keeping them off the field for considerable lengths.
  6. MikeGolf97

MikeGolf97

Ratings:
    +10 / 2 / -2
    Must be part of Mel Tuckers system that helped him have a dominate defense in Jacksonville? Didn't we toss up a 50 burger on them? Ehh either way i say we get Rod Marinelli once he gets over being butt hurt about Lovie getting fired or Ron RIvera after he gets the axe this year.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. tbear1

tbear1

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Why bother having a pre-season if ALL of the players don't understand signals? Chemistry, trust, and camaraderie is earned and I don't expect that to happen quickly. If the front four have a 'secret code' then shame on them not helping other players assimilate even if they wind up on the PS.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,530 / 0 / -0
    I didn't take it literally to mean formal hand signals. I took it to be something like Cutler described as far as his chemistry with Brandon Marshall. Jay and B.Marsh say they can just give the other one a look, in the pre-snap moments and KNOW exactly what the other is going to do. It's not a formal audible. It's just KNOWING the other so well that you're practically reading their thoughts on any given play.

Tossing a green kid who's never played in the NFL before, or for that matter, hasn't even played top-tier college ball (like Minter), it's going to take a bit for them to know their butt from a hole in the ground. I wish it were different. But there's no magic here. No pixie dust (and I know you understand that). It's just a crappy situation to be in.
  9. tbear1

tbear1

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Crappy situation, but I take this line as the first team developing a code they are not spreading to the back ups / rookies.
    It was those guys playing with Peppers in there; Peppers looking over there giving signals, like something he always does to me or Melton. Those guys don’t even know. [They’re like], ‘What is that?’
    Zach does not belong on the first team by any stretch of the imagination, but he is the next in line due to injuries. That's why it is imperative that the first team coach the younger players even if they don't think they will ever see the field.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. JoeBear

JoeBear

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I can understand what Paea was saying, there is such a fine line between perfect execution and just missing. Sometimes you just miss a tackle or just miss knocking down a pass or lose your balance and a guy runs for 20 yards. Working as a team takes practice together. Sometimes these games are decided by the outcome of 2 or 3 plays. For a young player making his first start the whole thing is probably a blur. But on the bright side, most young players get better each game. That is all we can hope for.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. MPbears68

MPbears68

Ratings:
    +855 / 1 / -0
    Exactly. Sorry, we aren't the only team with injuries on the DL, even major ones. Talked about specifics in other threads. I watched other games with other teams playing udfas, late rounders, and guys signed off the street and they've got it done well. Yeah, losing Melton hurt no doubt but the coaching on D has been terrible.

Marinelli had nothing to work with Sunday night and his DL looked way better than ours has in any game so far. Maybe that's why Hot Rod is considered one of the better DCs in the NFL and Tucker is a reject from the shithole of football that is Jacksonville.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. short faced bear

short faced bear

Ratings:
    +1,068 / 0 / -1
    I find it either amazing or strange that:
    -some of these guys completely forget some of Rods teachings.

-we have a d line coach previously from Rod do we not?

-I see the lack of talent but seeing a lack of urgency, technique, and accountability is quite another. Erosion sure but shouldn't be this bad and to this degree.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. mdbearz

mdbearz

Ratings:
    +261 / 0 / -0
    Even though these guys should get better, still not sure why we are not out there looking for more DL depth. What happens if another DT goes down?
    We already have a DE playing Tackle, we don't have anything on the bench now.

BTW- I hope Wootten playing DT actually makes him better when he does get back to DE. Even though the positions are completely different, I just wonder if it will help him once he is engaged with a tackle.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,530 / 0 / -0
    Part of Marinelli's talent was his personality and high-intensity coaching style that REALLY motivated the players. It was beyond mundane "X's" and "O's" stuff. I had forgotten that until I saw him again last Sunday night. The guy looked like he was gonna have a flippin' heart attack or stroke (even got a bench penalty for a blow-torch exchange with a ref). But he had that mob of patched together DL guys playing bigtime ball. Players would do anything for Rod. It was like he was leading them into "The Final Battle" of a war each game.

The guy is just an amazing coach with his players. We don't seem to have anything like this now on defense.
  15. shark86x

shark86x SuperFan

Ratings:
    +392 / 0 / -0
    Yup, Mike Phair is the DL coach, and John Hoke as the defensive backs coach is the only other hold-over from last year. It is strange that both of these guys groups are performing the worst on the team, when last year they were the stars. It would seem the common denominator is Tucker.

Is it my imagination or does the defense play increasingly worse every game this year? I am getting to the point where I believe Tucker must go. He must be fired after this season. As others have stated, other teams have suffered major injuries/losses, and are still performing well. Across the league we were thought to have deep talent on the D. Why can't Tucker get it working?
    • Like Like x 1
  16. mdbearz

mdbearz

Ratings:
    +261 / 0 / -0
    I

You have to believe that coaching has something to do with the poor play, because they were not up to snuff even before the injuries started coming.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. MPbears68

MPbears68

Ratings:
    +855 / 1 / -0
    BINGO
  18. MPbears68

MPbears68

Ratings:
    +855 / 1 / -0
    Tucker = epic fail
    Tucker = the Tice of DCs
  19. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member

Ratings:
    +609 / 2 / -1
    Does anyone remember reading if Tucker was Trestman's first choice for DC?
  20. A-11

A-11

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    I'm with ya. I like Egghead coaches like Trestman. I like the cool hand with a plan... BUT considering defense I agree that the motivational coaches seem to have the edge. Hot Rod, the Ryans, the Harbaughs... Too much smoke to not be fire. Intensity and willing yourself to success is more important than I realized upon reflection.

In a professional game, I just take it for granted that players wouldn't have it in spades.

In a professional game, I'd expect everyone on the team to know unspoken signals too. Sad.
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
    • Like Like x 1