Pastries for thought

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BradMustersGhost, Nov 11, 2013.

1. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +353 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    307ß
    After 8 seasons in the league, per pro football reference.com, Jay Cutler's career most clearly resembles the respective careers of these QBs:

Bob Griese, Milt Plum, Ken O'Brien, Jim Everett, Norm Snead, Jim Plunkett, John Hadl, Drew Bledsoe, Steve McNair, Carson Palmer, Aaron Brooks, Jeff George

Not exactly a list of elite, super bowl-winning QBs. Plunkett managed to win two (coming off the bench, a la McCown ,each time) toward the end of his career with the Raiders, and Griese obviously won two in a different era (on a team with one of the game's greatest head coaches, an outstanding defense AND a great power running attack). Oh yeah, and when he went down with an injury in 1972, the Phins didn't miss a beat when backup Earl Morrall replaced him. If you look at Griese's career stats, you can make the case that he was an overrated QB, but I digress. My point (yes I do have one, friends) is this: Would you guys feel completely confident committing 70 - 80+ million dollars in a long term K to a guy who, after 8 years in this league, appears to be just another Jim Everett, Ken O' Brien, Aaron Brooks, Jeff George, Carson Palmer or Drew Bledsoe? I sure wouldn't. Just a few pastries for thought.

I***I find it interesting that Bledsoe's name was on that list, because I distinctly remember something Bill "Sports Guy" Simmons said about him a number of years ago. Paraphrasing here, but he said that he had reached a point in Bledsoe's career with New England where (as a Patriots fan) he held his breath each time he saw the turnover-prone Bledsoe getting ready to throw the ball. He said that it was then that he realized he has lost all confidence in Bledsoe as an NFL QB. A lot of folks on this board have been making the same kind of comments about Cutler over the course of the past 2 day.s
  2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,714 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,238ß
    I just want the Chicago Bears to be "relevant" again. Not the annual 3rd place NFC-N team whose players watch the playoffs from their couches at home each year. I'm weary of the years of mediocrity & a failure to win Super Bowls for over a quarter of a century.

Is Jay "The Guy" who can change this? The guy who can win BIG games that are "Must Win" games?

This is the question to ask ourselves regarding Cutler. Not that he's "better than what we've had in the past".......I don't really care if he's "better" if he's not good enough to win championships here in Chicago. I don't want us to settle. I just want to win.
  3. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +353 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    307ß
    JABF, I agree wholeheartedly. I think that is why A LOT of our fellow Bears fans continue to delude themselves into believing that Cutler IS the type of QB who ca/will lead us to a Super Bowl. They NEED to believe that because of all of the hope which surrounded his acquisition, WHICH was a natural by-product of the fact that we haven't had a truly outstanding QB since Sid Luckman. :(
  4. Loki

Loki Assault Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +3,612 / 17 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    718ß
    Hold on....

We've got this thread. The one by Rosenwhatshisname, a couple of polls, and a couple of others.

Is there any way, any way at all, that we could get your to limit your Jay-hate to one or two threads... instead of just repeating the same thing over and over but with a different title?
    • Like Like x 1
  5. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +706 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    321ß
    Where's the pastries? I just got home, after driving since 3:30 this morning. I'm hungry. I want my pastries! That's all.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Strangerwithcandy11

Strangerwithcandy11 Head Coach

Ratings:
    +1,609 / 18 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    183ß

Afuckinmen.
  7. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +353 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    307ß

Michelle Wirth was stalked.
  8. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Veteran

Ratings:
    +343 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    438ß
    Ironic that in the 1st year he has a decent O-line , he get's hurt worse than in the previous seasons . GD snakebit is what we are - although I'd posit that he's done well considering the garbage he's had to work with most of the time ( including the OC's ) . So his career mark would be higher if he had better circumstances .

I'd just like to see what he'd do with one healthy season behind a good line . The weapons are there now . So I hope they re-sign him .
    • Like Like x 1