Peanut Tillman as a Safety in 2014?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BelieveInMonsters, Nov 12, 2013.

1. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +198 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I know it's too early to be talking about 2014. But, with Peanut going on IR, one of the greatest cornerbacks and one of my favorite players in Bears history may have played his last game with us.

Then it occurred to me. We have needs all over the defense including at Safety. (Conte and Wright have sucked this year)

Do you think Peanut could be an adequate option as a stopgap Safety? I think if Charles Woodson could do it then he could certainly do it too.
  2. JJ-30

JJ-30 Veteran

Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    51ß
    He already said he won't move to Safety.
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,078 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,151ß
    I heard that yesterday, the idea of Tillman to safety was a pipe dream by some fans, it sounds good but why would Tillman want to learn a completely new position? If anyone has ever heard him talk about football, they would know he's not interested in it once it's over and he'll not be part of it when he retires.

Tillman really is my favorite Bear from the latest series of teams dating back to 05. Has always been a stand up guy, been entertaining to listen to and a hell of a good, and underrated football player. But I think this is the last time you'll see him as a Bear.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    25ß
    I sure hope it is not the last time we see him in a Bears uniform. When he is healthy ha has always been the one to take on Megatron and other teams #1 WR. We do not have anyone else on the roster that is capable of doing that, so I would hope they try to re sign him.

CB is like WR, even a very high draft pick will need some time to develop.
  5. BelieveInMonsters

Ratings:
    +198 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    The Bears can't even come close to shoring up all of the holes on this defense in the upcoming draft (especially not in one draft)

We will sign some defensive free agents as well on of which may be a cornerback.

Does anyone know if there are any good free agents at cornerback and safety this coming offseason?
  6. BelieveInMonsters

Ratings:
    +198 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    The Bears can't even come close to shoring up all of the holes on this defense in the upcoming draft (especially not in one draft)

We will sign some defensive free agents as well on of which may be a cornerback.

Does anyone know if there are any good free agents at cornerback and safety this coming offseason?
  7. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,078 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,151ß
    That fit the cover 2? Not sure, nambi Assumba is sitting out there, but I'm sure he won't come cheap enough w/out cap issues, and he's not a cover 2 cb.
  8. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,947 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,002ß
    Sadly, it is a pipe dream.

Tillman said he believes he can still play CB... But also acknowledges he likely played his last game as a Bear
  9. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +653 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    253ß
    If we don't sign him for a 1 or 2 year deal, Tillman as secondary coach?
  10. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,947 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,002ß
    In a few years I could see it. Some team will sign him though if the Bears don't
  11. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,078 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,151ß
    Again, Tillman has said once he's not paying football he's done w/football, no coaching he has no want for it.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,487 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    431ß
    Namdi is done. Rashaan Salaam will be as useful for us in the secondary. I really don't see Emery replacing ALL of the defensive starters in one fell swoop. I just don't see us losing 2 CB's and all of the defensive linemen that are sure to go.
  13. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    83ß
    Ed Reed released....haha
  14. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,487 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    431ß
  15. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,078 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,151ß
    nope. He'll keep Jennings, Briggs, Greene, Bostic, probably try and resign Anderson cheap, keeping Shea and try and keep Wootton and try and keep Melton and keep Paea. if Steltz, Wrong and Conte are all under contract he'll probably keep them also. This year will be replacing Tillman, Peppers and trying to build depth at all levels of the D*, as well as get a young qb in the draft.

*Depth will come via the draft and FA.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,487 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    431ß
    Conte is under contract, and I'm pretty sure Steltz is on a lifetime contract. The problem with everyone wanting to replace the d-line AND the secondary, is that, as awesome as Emery was this past draft, expecting the same results are asking too much here. I have a feeling we're keeping most of our defensive players, at a cheaper price than they otherwise would have, because they'll be both cheap and will give us someone to start. As bad as Peppers and Peanut have played this year, expecting a FA or draft pick to outright replace them is a bit much.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,251 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    295ß
    Conte will stay since he will be in his last year of his rookie contract.
    Paea too.
    Briggs is under vet contract for one more year so he stays.
    Steltz is a minor issue but I think he's a FA--no need to keep him.

Peppers is clearly a goner which adds millions to the cap even after backing out his dead cap cost.
    Shea isn't going anywhere like it or not since he's only half way thru his rookie deal.
    Frey too.

Among key FAs, Major Dipshit Wrong needs to be shown the door.
    I fear Peanut has played his last game as a Bear since age + injury have hit him hard.
    Hayden is out and won't be back.
    Bowman and Jennings will need to re-signed and a CB drafted high.
    Anderson should be brought back but DJWilliams is a goner since he's > 30 and had a major injury.
    Melton should be brought back if he rehabs well for far less than his FT price this year.
    Wootton needs to be retained.
    Obviously Greene and Bostic will be here.

If all the above proves accurate, that leaves major holes to sign/draft at CB, DE, S, and probably DT too. That's a tall order to fill on D especially since we need to draft a QB no question and find a 2nd TE somewhere (please lose Rosario). Haven't even covered the OL where we need to retain Slauson and find a new C.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,078 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,151ß
    They cannot keep Peppers at his cost, he's something along the lines of 16mil next year. You cannot pay 16mil to a guy that doesn't produce, not when you have 30 other guys to sign, including, possibly, your qb.
  19. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,251 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    295ß
    No question, Ric, exactly correct. I don't have the numbers in front of me but if I remember correctly, his salary is $16m or so and he would net about $10m extra to the cap after accounting for his dead cap hit (I think he costs $4m or so dead cap in 2015 too).

Have to release Pep. He's well past the play level to justify that contract and we need that extra space to sign FAs since even a perfect draft can't fill all our holes.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +876 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    829ß
    There's a good chance he won't be back with the team in 2014 and now guys are talking about moving him to safety? That's crazy talk.