Per Rotoworld quoting the Trib: Shea McClellin to offically switch to strong side LB

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by dabears, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,542 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    541ß
    I've been complaining that we haven't had a complete LB corps since Holdman/Urlacher/Colvin. He could very well be our next Colvin.
  2. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    I remember hearing about this one morning on TheScore, It was an emery pick but with Angelo's scouts scouting him
  3. Bear_40

Bear_40 Veteran

Ratings:
    +36 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    38ß
    Depends on what they do with Anderson and Briggs. The 2 rookies, IMHO, are ahead of Shea as well. I just hope he works out and wins a slot and isn't given one because of his draft position.
  4. Smoking Jay

Smoking Jay Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    10ß
    Especially when we could have had chandler jones that year. He was picked 7 picks behind us by the pats.. I believe he got snubbed for the pro bowl in his second year. ugh
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Smoking Jay

Smoking Jay Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    10ß
    then the pats picked up another lb right behind jones. Hightower, I believe he played all 16 games this year and improved every game
    • Like Like x 1
  6. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +828 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    870ß
    Wonder if they will move Bostic with Shea moving. Normally takes a year to learn a position. Shedding blocks is something Bostic needs to work at. I have read some articles where they have not necessarily backtracked on there remarks on Bostic but clarified his speed element, have not seen he is moving as this article states with Shea M
  7. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +707 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    482ß
    Anderson is a free agent, Briggs plays weak side, bostic is a middle or will, and Greene is strictly a will....so again...who is playing sam right now?
  8. Bear_40

Bear_40 Veteran

Ratings:
    +36 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    38ß
    Still don't see Shea as a starter. They'll resign Anderson.
  9. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,307 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,478ß
    Emery said they're going to get younger, i'm not sure they'll re sign anyone on D; Anderson or Williams are the lone exceptions. W/the Glut we have at OLB I'm not sure they'll sign another one.
  10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,687 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,193ß
    I think you're right Ric. I could see them adding a LB through the draft though. Anderson, Briggs & Williams are all three on the far side of 30, and regarding Lance Briggs doesn't Briggs contract end after this coming season? That doesn't mean these three will be gone in 2015, but surely drafting another LB this season would be a good move. And there's no guarantee that Shea will be able to play LB well either. I sure hope he can, but that's not a "given" yet. He could just end up being a halfway decent backup at LB, or worse end up being cut if he can't play at a backup level. I realize folks here think he'll be an absolute stud at LB, but that remains to be seen.

The whole McClellen thing reminds me a bit of how we try to salvage a player by playing him at different positions, like we did with Hester or J'Marcus Webb, or the others we saw go through this. Sometimes it does pan out, but often a bust is just that - a bust. I realize, in Shea's defense, that he was played out of position day-1, when we played him in a 4-3 DE position. I don't know, I just don't have a good feeling about him playing well at LB either.
  11. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,360 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    390ß
    I don't have a ton of confidence either, JABF. Makes me angry to think of how badly the Bears jacked this up. In every way since the pick and over the last two years. Even if the pick sucked, if the damn team had put him in the right position from the get-go, he'd have two seasons experience under his belt and we might have something by now. The only comfort I have is that Shea is a hard worker/high motor guy who surely knows his career and future are hanging in the balance. If he doesn't show value over the next two seasons (max) he will be cut and left scrounging for a vet min job as a deep backup somewhere. He better be working his ass off this offseason and training camp.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Seqq34

Seqq34 Veteran

Ratings:
    +72 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    39ß
    i feel the better question is how Emery is going to shore up the D-line and DB's...Shea would more than likely improve if the tasks are lesser from the get go. But if he's asked to pick up the slack from both the D-line and safeties(to be more specific) he will most certainly fail like we saw with the young guys this year.

So moving him doesn't surprise me but Emery needs to get balance back on that side of the ball before any position can show success let alone improvement.
  13. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    101ß
    How about Shea plays a safety position? Lol give him an open area and see if he can track a player