PFF GIVES KYLE LONG A NEGATIVE GRADE.

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, Apr 20, 2014.

1. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +919 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,081ß
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +976 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    562ß
    you linked this to an article, of another article.. Lol

either way, the bears won't get any love until they prove they are legit.
  3. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +919 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,081ß
    What, The link takes me to the right place. Here is the story anyway.
    upload_2014-4-20_8-49-56.png
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,583 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,782ß
    Everything I saw up until the end of the season was that Warford was playing better then any other rookie OL'men. For as bad as the Bears OL has been, Dallas' has been just as bad, and for a rookie to step in like Frederick did was pretty amazing also.

It's not a knock on Long to get rated behind them, especially by PFF who doesn't take scheme into account; although I'd point out in the Chi system he shouldn't be letting anyone get past him or get pushed back, so in this instance they might be right. Btw, -3.3 I didn't think was that bad, pretty close to neutral, am I wrong on that?
  5. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +919 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,081ß
    I just surprised he is Neg and ranked 43 amongst all Guards and yet he still made it to the Pro-Bowl. I realize he was an alternate and only got to play resulting from injury but cmon 43rd and the Pro bowl. The math, the logic, nothing is adding up here.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,583 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,782ß
    BS, pro bowl isn't a testament to how great you were compared to other players and actually imo counts less then PFF. I told people at the time he didn't deserve the PB bid b/c he wasn't even the best rookie G playing. I don't really care about PFF's grades for him or Mills, I'm more then happy w/his play.

Still would have preferred Olgetree and Warford, b/c we aren't worrying about ILB this year, but it's moot at this point.
  7. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +2,266 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,659ß
    I'm good with Long. He has not had a lot of time at his position and he made great strides. The two guys rated ahead of him are good players. I love his approach. Going to post those numbers on his locker to motivate him. It got under his skin and he took it personally. Perfect. I love the guy.
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +919 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,081ß
    Pretty much what I liked to, nothing like having the proverbial chip on the shoulder
  9. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Did Travis Frederick or Larry Warford get chosen for the Pro Bowl? Looks to me like PFF's metrics for grading need be revised. Mills gets knocked for allowing to much pressure yet gives up just two sacks and Long was inconsistent. The Bears had the #2 scoring offense last year so just imagine how good they'll get when the two poor linemen actually get better. (sarcasm coupon redeemed)
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +487 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    The more I read on PFF the more I am starting to disregard their stats. I understand that grading offensive linemen is damn near impossible and give them credit for attempting it but I think they may need to revise their system. Long (and Mills for that matter) seem like we may have a real solid side of our Oline for now and into the future. To rank him 43 is absurd in my opinion. From what I saw he did alot of things well and didn't have many standout bad plays. I give them credit for trying to grade the OL but PFF's system is clearly flawed.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Yep, that's my thinking as well. Matt Forte has a career year, Marcellus Bennett has a career year, the Bears sacks are way down so the passing game kicks into high gear, we have to the top pass catching duo in the NFL, and the second best scoring offense in the NFL. But the right side of our OLine scores negative numbers???? Yeah, right. PFF just sunk to the bottom as far as their credibility for rating linemen is concerned. They need to change their metrics.
  12. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +487 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    I agree, and give them credit for trying to rate and grade the OL I just don't think they are very accurate at it. I would love to see the exact formula they use I think it would be interesting. As much as I wish there was an accurate way to put a numerical value on OL play, I think there's a reason the NFL hasn't had a stat similar to QB rating for the OL.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,275 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    222ß
    Oh whatever with PFF. It's the same one that rated Webb over Bushrod. Doesn't take into account Long playing next to and helping out another rookie in Mills.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +487 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    That says all we need to know
  15. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,227 / 3 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    602ß
    The key to their formula isn't their formula, it's the judgement used in grading. There is a fine line between a hurry/no hurry. There is a fine line between a pancake block and roll over another player (with G on top on the way down). To me, PFF has the right type of metrics, but might be using multiple people to grade the film...leading to inconsistency and/or favoritism.

Dunno, just a feeling I get sometimes when reading their stuff. Still like the resource, just can't take it as gospel.
    • Like Like x 2
  16. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,583 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,782ß
    BS, think thats the thing, you cannot use any one of these sources as gospel. PFF gives you a good source of reference, but common sense and watching the game itslef has to come into play also, watching JWebb play or Shea play told you they were bad at their job, no matter how well or bad PFF graded them out; and watching a guy like Bushrod play told you that he'd be better the JWebb, regardless of the qb he was protecting.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. TarheelBear

TarheelBear Rookie

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    18ß
    I believe what i see with my own eyes. I like his fire and his passion think sky the limit with Long, and he was alternate selection to pro bowl. I am sure he just happen be one that said yes, but still think he deserved to go. haven't been this excited in watching Oline guy play for good 7 yrs. infact was down right ugly and sicking. Hope Long plays lights out all season and builds upon his success if Pff grade motivates him to work harder at his craft I might have to buy a Long Jesery cause I love this kids attitude.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    All I can say is that I quit reading PFF a LONG time ago !
    ;-)
    • Like Like x 1
  19. EternalChampion

EternalChampion Veteran

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    216ß
    The only stat that ultimately matters is wins. Put that on your locker. All of you.
  20. Grendel

Grendel Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Well. Correct me if I'm wrong, but PFF grades don't take the level of competition into account, just the results of the plays, do they not? If so, an average player against weak competition can grade out higher than an above average player against strong competition. So while their grades have some use, they have to be taken with a grain of salt.

As for Long's grade vs the other two rookies: considering his rawness and lack of experience, I see nothing disheartening in this. Presumably, he should be capable of surpassing them within the next year or two.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1