PFF: Julius Peppers graded out highest of the defensive players Sunday against the Steelers.

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Sep 26, 2013.

1. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    90ß
    Peppers did NOT play like a badass against the Steelers. Justin Houston played like a badass against the Eagles. Last year, Aldon Smith played like a badass against us. Peppers was more effective than the previous two games, and while the TD return was a big play in the game, he was 5 yards out of the play when it bounced straight into his hand. I'm not saying Pep isn't a great player, he is, but you cannot deny he has been having a much smaller impact through the first 3 games than in previous years. Hopefully he continues to improve, because we certainly need him playing at a high level.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    When you strip a ball from a QB and return it for a TD to close the game, you just played like a badass. Peppers gets double teams after double team. If YOU ACTUALLY WATCHED THE GAME, you would have seen have often they double teamed Peppers. What you're really saying is that you don't know how much attention Pepe gets from DC. So I suggest you read more and post less. Because Pep gets the double teams that no one else gets on that DL. And when you take a fumble to the house, you have no room to talk shit about Pep. You got that McFly???
  3. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    PFF is a good barometer. I think too many Bears fans don't even realize that Bushrod isn't playing like a dominant LT. And Webb has faired just as well. But you now how it goes Benji...Bears pay a boatload for Bushrod, so in the psyche of Bears fans...its he's playing so far superior than Webb. Webb has never gotten a fair shake at LT because of how important some have made that position.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    90ß
    Pep didn't strip the ball, did he? Didn't the ball bounce straight to him 5 yards away from the play? Did you watch the game? If you read the rest of my post, you would see that I have the utmost respect for Pep, but it is undeniable that through the first three games of the season he has not been the same player. You think he wasn't getting doubled the last 11 years? Maybe YOU should post less....
  5. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,066 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,316ß
    Sounds like you didn't watch the game. Peppers didn't strip the ball. Even he says it bounced right to him.

"I happened to be at the right place at the right time and the ball bounced to me," Peppers said. "I got a hand on it and took it in, so there wasn't much else to talk about. That was the longest run I had with the ball, yes, I will tell you that."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...ls-chicago-bears-win-over-pittsburgh-steelers
  6. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    No Pepe did play like a badass and rumbled into the end zone with that TD. You don't have a lot of respect for Pep, clearly. And if you watched the game, virtually every replay showed Pep being double team. Which shows you just how effective he is as a pass rusher. But clearly you weren't watching the same game. No one on that DL gets double teamed but Pep. End of Story.
  7. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    90ß
    I digress.....
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,710 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,237ß
    Here's the deal. Peppers may not be the player he was a few years ago, but he's still one of the better DE's in the NFL. But the same could be said for Peanut and Briggs. All three players make up for their age by being smart players who have honed their football IQ's over many years & long careers of experience - playing at Pro Bowl levels. All three are old now. No question.

But could you imagine our team without those three players this season?

I don't get the Peppers hate. The guy played a very good game against the Steelers. No, he didn't get a sack. But he was still very very good pressuring Big Ben. He is still a player that defenses have to game-plan around. He is still a player who demands 2 and sometimes 3 blockers to stop.

If you guys can't see how good he is playing, then you're football-ignorant people. Sorry. That's the truth. PFF may not be the end-all final word on Pep's play, but other sports sources had Pep as playing a good game - and Mel Tucker said he had a good game. I think Mel knows a bit more than the messageboard gurus here...... If the REST of the defensive line played as well as Pep it would be a dominant one. But I forget that folks here think journeyman Collins and UDFA rook Minter are studs. Tell me again which one was in the Pro Bowl last year? Or even started a 16 game season?

Surely you guys are smarter than this? Right?
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  9. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +704 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    412ß
    JABF, please stop beating your head against the wall the wise men can see.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +708 / 6 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    967ß
    i watched the replay again. I must be going blind. What I saw was Mike Adams blocking Peppers (no double team) on nearly every play except those where Pep did a stunt and got stuck in a crowd. This idea that Peppers was double-teamed in this game is false. If he starts playing better, I promise to give him his due.

Through 3 games...

2 tackles
    0 assists
    0 QB hits
    0 deflected passes
    0 sacks

We need a lot more production than this from him. That's the bottom line.
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,710 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,237ß
    David, we see it very differently then, and that's fine. The nice thing about this message board is that we get a lot of good input from everyone, and we all don't have to think alike.

One thing we both agree on, is that we hope the defensive line, as a whole, performs well the rest of the season. Take care man, I enjoy your posts here.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  12. DavidL

Ratings:
    +708 / 6 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    967ß
    I appreciate all these new threads you start every day. It creates a lot of discussion on everything happening in Bear World.

We do disagree on Peppers performance so far, but we have 13 more games to go. We may still agree by the end of the season.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,710 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,237ß
    I have to watch myself too, because I'm a huge Peppers fan. We all have our favorite players. Mine just happens to be Pep. Heck, even my cat wears a Peppers jersey on game day. Seriously :)

Our family is a bit nutty about the Bears. I wear a Papa Bear #7 jersey, and our cat has the Pep jersey. He sits right next to me and watches the games like he understands everything that's happening :) I tell my kids & their friends who visit on gameday, "He's a 'Football Cat" and you don't see too many of 'em anymore."

On a side note. The cat thinks Trestman is the best thing since canned cat food was invented. I can't argue with him. He knows football.

I[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  14. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,066 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,316ß
    Peppers was one of the best DL in the game, this year though he has barely even gotten noticed. That is why there are fans getting on him. He is making a lot of money this year and had it not been for a lucky bounce into his arms against the steelers, he would literally be a non factor thus far in the season.
  15. DavidL

Ratings:
    +708 / 6 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    967ß
    "We can't create the future by clinging to the past." --Delta

Fans have their favorite players and are slow to revise their estimates as their heroes age. It is just a fact of human psychology.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +704 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    412ß
    Same exact thing could be said of Melton before he got hurt. We all can agree here the D line needs to step it up a notch hopeful with the fast surface they are playing on tomorrow will be the game changer.
  17. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,710 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,237ß
    And it's still early in the season. For aging star Bears players (like Urlacher) I usually visit this stuff after the season ends. I think the larger "body of work" gives the best perspective on where they are in their career journey. It is still early enough in the season, that we could see Pep perform very well.

It could be similar to that old Mark Twain quote - the reports of Julius Peppers demise are greatly exaggerated :)

[​IMG]
  18. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    for
    I'm right there wit U Jabz ,... I am concernred for the safety of any of those on O side of the ball ,..NOT just Cutty
  19. DavidL

Ratings:
    +708 / 6 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    967ß
    It could be similar to that old Mark Twain quote - the reports of Julius Peppers demise are greatly exaggerated.

We will know for sure. Unless Peppers returns to form, they will probably address his contract again to pay Cutler's next contract.
  20. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    LOL Benji the season is 3 games old and Peppers already has 6pts under his belt. Let's give it time broski. You call it a lucky bounce. I call it a guy that's attracted to the turnover and game changing play. Some pleyers NEVER find themselves around the football. Peppers has always been a magnet for the big play as a Bear.