Phil Emery scouting Eastern Illinois QB Jimmy Garoppolo

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Henry Burris, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    414ß
  2. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,893 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    899ß
    Where do you think he will go in the draft?
  3. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    414ß
  4. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    414ß
    The Chicago Bears Should Eye Jimmy Garoppolo in 2014 NFL Draft

November 02, 2013 08:40 PM EDT

Drafting a quarterback, historically, is not on the side of the Chicago Bears. Still, if they have plans to take on in the 2014 NFL draft, they can do much worse than Jimmy Garoppolo.

[​IMG]

Jay Cutler not built to run a true Marc Trestman offense

Marc Trestman does not employ the pure version of the West Coast offense. He runs an offshoot of it that he built over time from his experiences coaching for many different teams. So to make a direct comparison isn't prudent, but it does offer ideas into what kind of quarterback Trestman would want running it. To understand means to look at who ran that particular offense the best. Joe Montana, Steve Young, Ken Anderson and Rich Gannon were among the very best to run it. Among the things those players had in common were accuracy, efficiency, mobility and intelligence. Be sure to note that nowhere in there does it mention arm strength. That is because the West Coast offense preaches an effective short, horizontal passing game to stretch out a defense, thereby opening lanes for big runs and throws down the field. To execute such a playbook requires timing and accuracy more than arm strength.

That could explain why Trestman was rumored to hesitate about handing quarterback Jay Cutler, a free agent in 2014, a fresh extension. Cutler is often lauded for his physical talent, possessing elite arm strength, good mobility, toughness and very good intelligence. Where the problems start is in his mechanics. Whenever he gets pressure he tends to lose control of his body, often resorting to throwing off his back foot or other minor if important kinks in his execution. This is a big explanation for why he sometimes suffers from accuracy issues, allowing defenses to pick off his passes with regularity every season. One thing Cutler is not so much bad but inconsistent at is anticipation. He doesn't throw the ball until the receiver is open. That leads to holding it longer than required and often to an unnecessary hit or sack from the defensive line. Case and point was the hit he suffered in Washington that resulted in his torn groin.

Garoppolo combines traits of Robert Griffin III and Aaron Rodgers

The point is that Cutler doesn't seem built to run the Trestman offense. This is why the Bears are frequently tagged as a team that could go after a quarterback in a deep 2014 NFL draft class. The question is will they go after a proven commodity or look for the talent? History shows that with GM Phil Emery it's about finding the right player, regardless of the school he goes to. In that case Chicago should be very interested in Eastern Illinois quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo. His stampeding of the FCS is well documented by this point but it's not all because of the offense like other cases. Garoppolo, physically, measures up as a legitimate pro caliber passer. He's got the height, enough arm strength and the athletic body to handle pressure. Where scouts are really beginning to notice him is his arm. Not only does he have one of the quickest deliveries in the 2014 class, but his knack for putting the ball where it needs to go consistently is turning heads. He has good vision and is decisive with his throws. Watching him on tape should remind casual fans of a mix between Robert Griffin III and Aaron Rodgers. He runs a play action fake like he actually plans to run it every time, much like RGIII does for the Redskins. This keeps the defense honest, never tipping them off as to which kind of play is being run. Then like Rodgers, he goes through his progressions quickly and when the ball comes out it is on a line to the wide receiver and often hits them in stride. That is much harder to do than many realize.

The Chicago Bears know they need to draft a quarterback soon. Whether Jay Cutler gets another year is still unknown. However, Jimmy Garoppolo is worth the investment come draft day.
  5. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,893 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    899ß
    This I like!
  6. strockrocks

strockrocks Veteran

Ratings:
    +215 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    If the Bears draft him and he ends up being good, a jersey worth buying just for the name!!
  7. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +618 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    213ß
    Like? I had to wipe my computer screen!

Our D needs so much work that I'd be nervous about grabbing a QB this year. But if we can grab a game-changer like this guy is made out to be, full steam ahead and don't look back! Oh and, Garoppolo? Might give Nagurski a run for the best sounding Bear name ever.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    414ß
    His name makes me think of Janeane Garofalo
    • Like Like x 3
  9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,392 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    812ß
    It would be so EXCITING to see Emery/Trestman pull the trigger on a mid-round guy like this. Keep in mind that Emery will solve some of our "D" woes with FA's. It's not like we draft all "D" to the exclusion of the offense entirely. With the high quality depth at QB in this draft, it would be a perfect time to snag a mid-round guy for Trestman to work on.

I know some folks think this would be a waste of a draft pick, but I'm all-in if they do this. I think it's a GREAT idea.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    65ß
    Where he gets picked is still anyone's guess, but since this is a 'big' year for quarterbacks and he doesn't go to a big name school he shouldn't go in the first round. I don't want Emery to reach, as you said we need defensive strength. But, he sounds like a great project/prospect.
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,392 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    812ß
    It sounds like he'll be taken in the 2nd round.

• Like Like x 2
  12. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +325 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    237ß
    He doesn't know how to properly grip/throw the football! :eek:
  13. vmx12

vmx12 Rookie

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    If he sucks we can call him Jimmy Crappola
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +325 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    237ß
    I like the way you think, vmx12! ;)

Rosenbloom to vmx12: "You got a quick mind, kid. My thoughts, exactly! In fact, I already got the headline written!!!"
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  15. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    414ß
    There's some weird parallels between Emery and Angelo already. First draft pick was a DE bust, and both have a good chance at getting a respected scouting prospect (Bill Parcells loved the guy, and would've played him sooner if Jerry Jones hadn't forced Drew Henson on the team) out of EIU. What are the odds?
  16. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +325 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    237ß
    ^^^you tryin' to FREAK the board out, Henry??? :eek::voodoo::eek::(:mad::confused:
  17. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    414ß
    Just sayin...lol
  18. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +668 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    360ß
    EI EI U what a little machine of a school this where you can find the diamonds. I should know my alma mater. If this kid is legit and Bears don't get him I bet a coach in New Orleans will pick him up.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    414ß
    Good point. He HAD to have noticed his former QB (Romo) and Mike Shanahan talking about how awesome this kid is, if we have.
  20. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    65ß
    He has had quite an uptick in his performance this year. Significant reduction in his interceptions, is the o-line better this year at EI EI U? His passer rating this year is much better than the previous three.