POLL: Do you guys think the defensive line can be fixed this season?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Sep 30, 2013.

?

Do you think the DL can be fixed this season, or are we screwed until next year?

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,808 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    67ß
    Or is this as good as it gets for 2013?
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,423 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    171ß
    You cannot replace Melton, he might not have been having a great year, but guys like that are not on the street, you won't find them. Peppers is a year to old(it seems) and you're not going to find his replacement in the street(or probably in the draft), Shea is a bust and b/c of it Wootton no longer is motivated by the potential loss of his job(as shown by his lowered play). Only Paea has been playing over his play last year and that's a problem that cannot be dealt with during the season.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +992 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    11ß
    Right now, I would say, "Not with Tucker"
    • Like Like x 1
  4. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    16ß
    I think play can improve, but Im not sure it will.
    Many have mentioned that the 3 technique is the motor of this Defense, and unless we can overcome the shortcomings at that position it might be a stretch.
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,808 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    67ß
    That's pretty much my conclusion too Ric. We'd better have a high-powered offense to off-set a defense that is going to give up a lot of points this year. And we can't have "Bad Jay" giving up points to opponents defenses too. If our "D" is giving up points, AND our QB is giving up points - that's tough.

We'll know a lot more after this next game against Brees.
  6. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +592 / 4 / -16
    ßearz ßuckz:
    179ß
    I'd think it can't be fixed without a personnel change on a scale comparable to what they did with the OL. Half of these guys may be gone, and we'll know more as the season progresses.

Although it can't be fixed this season, that doesn't necessarily mean that it can't get better with some changes in who is playing and some imaginative blitz packages. Tucker needs to do some improvising until he can get better horses next season. I would work CornWash into the mix -- something like Wootton 50%, McClellin 25%, and CornWash 25%. Then grade them and adjust each man's future playing time up/down based on performance, not salary. Blitz Williams and Briggs -- worked great against Pitt. I don't have great expectations, but I am getting progressively more frustrated each week that they don't at least try more experimentation.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +226 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Blitz Williams and Briggs -- worked great against Pitt. I don't have great expectations, but I am getting progressively more frustrated each week that they don't at least try more experimentation.

^^^^^^ = EXACTLY! Tucker is really going to have to earn his $$$ this year. Time to get creative and courageous with the defense, Mel. Hit the chalkboard and see what you can come up with, 'cause this vanilla D ain't getting it down. Come up with some exotic looks, Mel.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +992 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    11ß
    From what I am seeing, he is a caretaker and not an innovator.
  9. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +226 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:

That is EXACTLY what concerns me, Bearsinhouston. I think we are about to find out A LOT about Tucker this season. Just about ANYBODY can "coordinate" a unit when/if it is loaded with pro bowl talent. Defensive studs will make ANY coordinator or scheme look brilliant, just as Peyton Manning automatically transforms unknown offensive coordinators into geniuses. Coaches earn their paychecks when they are forced to compensate for subpar talent. Let's see if Tucker proves capable of that.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,423 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    171ß
    kinda like Hot Rod and Lovie?
  11. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +992 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    11ß
    Well, that's what I thought. Until Tucker showed up. And he didn't even change the scheme, so he can't even use that as an excuse.
  12. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,613 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    226ß
    It is very hard to fix a single position in season, let alone a whole line.
  13. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +992 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    11ß
    Marinelli was kind of unique. I don't consider him an innovator, but he was VERY good at what he did. He didn't have to innovate. He just did it the old fashioned way and still got results. Lovie. IDK. I was high on him at the beginning, then he kind of turned out to be an empty suit. He would not see (or fix anyway) stuff that was broken around him. He just stood beside his guys and went down with them (not in the prison vernacular, of course ;) )
    • Like Like x 2
  14. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    I haven't thrown in the towel yet. I do believe the coaches have the capacity to make changes/adjustments to put together respectable line performance. We had the capacity to stop AP. I know we lost Melton, but the coaches need to adjust the plan and get more out of what we have left. I have not given up hope that Emery will work his magic and make a deal.
  15. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,808 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    67ß
    Exactly. It's like trying to change the engines on a Boeing 737 airliner at 40,000 feet altitude. Hard to do (scares the hell out of the passengers too) :D
  16. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +226 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    BearsinHouston, I think the problem is the talent, not Tucker. Melton is injured, Shea appears to be a bust, and Pep is past his prime.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,808 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    67ß
    I agree. I didn't expect Pep to drop off as much as he did.....certainly not in one off season. And I really was hoping Shea would turn out decent. He didn't. And losing a Pro Bowl DT is a killer. The scraps that are left (other than Paea) are mediocre talent at best.
  18. Tarkus

Tarkus Veteran

Ratings:
    +270 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Only way this D gets fixed this year is if it means neutering.

Our hands been dealt tho if Tucker starts identifying opportunities to be more proactive than reactive, we could tighten up a bit.
  19. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +992 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    11ß
    IDK. You could be right, but he's got enough of the old guard to not see this big a change. Especially with the old scheme. Just doesn't feel right.

I hope you are right and I am wrong. New players are brought in much easier than management admitting one of their own needs to be changed.
  20. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +992 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    11ß
    Do they at least get a screwdriver?