POLL-Do YOU want Jay Cutler to be the QB of the Bears for the next 5+ years

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BradMustersGhost, Nov 11, 2013.

?

Do you want Cutler to be our QB for the next 5+ years?

1. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +279 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    128ß
    Just a simple yes/no question to see where everyone stands on the issue of the day. Figured we could all go on the record now while we wait to see what Emery decides to do in the off-season.
  2. PhilM

PhilM Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    No. (As a side note, I've been a big supporter of Cutler's over the years. But there's no denying that he's just not comfortable or confident in this offense. And I actually think that McCown can take this offense and this team far.)
  3. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,351 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    454ß
    I'm on the fence, but I am more open to a "no" than I ever was before.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,148 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    472ß
    I don't see it as a stark black-and-white situation.

1. Jay is older now, so I'm not sure I'd want him here for 5+ years anyway.
    2. When we say "pay the man his money" I would want to know how much money. There is a "value component" here for me to consider. If he wants a fortune, then that is different from giving us a substantial "home town discount"
    3. He doesn't have to "be an elite or near elite NFL QB" in my opinion. I never considered him (ever) as being at that top-tier level. I don't expect his replacement to be at that level either. But I would like to see a consistently solid QB who is smart enough to win big games.
    4. What is the "exit strategy" if we walk away from Cutler? A vet? Use McCown for a year? Get a 1st round QB? Or try to coach up a mid-round "prospect" or just what is our option here?

So for me, I'd want to know more before I answer that question. Under some circumstances I'd say walk away from Jay. But, under other circumstances I'd be okay signing him to a short term contract based upon incentives. The reason I qualify my answer is that I'm not going to over-react and say dump Jay, if we don't have a better solution in hand. You never burn a bridge unless you have a solid alternative.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +701 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    419ß
    The question shoud be: Do YOU really believe a rookie QB can lead us to the Super Bowl in the next 5 years?

The answer is no.

Do we have a better chance winning the SB with an "average" QB like Cutler than a rookie QB?

The answer is yes.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,148 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    472ß
    I realize we don't all get Peyton Mannings for our team, and most of us have to win with more average talent at QB - what I'd classify as solid/good-but-not-great talent. Jay actually is elite physically. I don't know of another QB in the NFL with better raw/physical talent. He makes throws that are jaw dropping from a talent standpoint. But he doesn't seem to have the football-IQ to go with the physical skills. He makes poor decisions, especially in big games. Consequently, I'd be fine with a young QB with less (but still solid) physical attributes, but who could play smart football. A guy who actually plays his best in big games. Over the years we've seen a number of these guys. They are winners, even at the Super Bowl level.

I want "one of those" guys. A guy Marc Trestman can develop. I could see Jay Cutler not getting us a sniff of a Super Bowl, and maybe not even an NFC-N championship. Yet the youngster could be a guy who could lead us to long-term success - even in big games where we now fizzle out and lose.
  7. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    No. I'd be okay with him staying one or two more years to mentor the new guy but 5 Years heck no!
  8. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +649 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    636ß
    The Bears rank 3rd in the entire NFL in ppg. and just one point behind New Orleans (after N.O. explosion against Dallas). If something is working, don't mess with it! If we can get Cutler to agree to a 3-yr. contract, that would be great. But I'll take 5 yrs. so long as Cutler doesn't make $$$ demands that break the bank so badly that we don't have the money to get free agents for the defense like we got Bushrod and Bennett this year for the offense. That's the only thing keeping me from giving an unqualified "yes" answer to the question.

Also, don't forget the "monkey principle." As a monkey swings from vine to vine in the jungle, he doesn't let go of one vine until he has a grasp on the next. So, don't let go of Cutler until you know you have one to replace him. I have been a Bears fan for 50 years, and Cutler is the best we've had. You young guys would appreciate him more if you suffered for 40 years worth of lousy Qb's in Chicago.

The poll question is rigged to produce a "no" response. Cutler is never going to be a Tom Brady, but he is good enough to win the Super Bowl with this offense, IF the Bears can rebuild a decent defense in that time-frame.
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  9. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,114 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    140ß
    I think the best option is to FT Jay for one year, draft a rookie in the 2nd-4th, and keep McCown (don't be mad, Ric). You'd be overpaying Cutler for one year in return for not having to throw a rookie into the fire right away and not getting saddled with a LT commitment to a starter who hasn't shown he can stay healthy or win "big games". JM has earned another year deal by showing he's a competent backup (very competent actually) in the TCO and as a solid mentor to a rookie. I see this as the best compromise and the best way to finally develop a homegrown QB talent. I don't see a LT deal for Cutler, even a "generous" one from his perspective, as a wise choice. Jay simply hasn't conquered his turnover or injury demons enough to warrant big bucks and a multi-year commitment.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +649 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    636ß
    Okay, and what are you going to do if your rookie QB turns out to be crap? You aren't going to get a Johnny Manziel in round 2-4. Even 1st round guys go bust-- need I mention Grossman and McClown? If we were at the bottom of the NFL, then bring in your rookie and see what happens, but we are not there. With this offense plus a top-10 defense in 3 years, we are Super Bowl contenders. I believe that. That should be Emery's goal IMO.
  11. kevperro

kevperro Rookie

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    19ß
    I'll take him for another year simply because we don't have anyone better to plug in there. Five years is crazy.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. 4th and 26

4th and 26 George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +553 / 3 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    222ß
    Yes because he finally has a supporting cast. I do not want a rookie or some lame dick FA unless Drew Brees demands a trade to the bears. Once we clean house of Jerry Angelo garbage picks we can move forward towards rebuilding this team into the most powerful force in the universe I will support Jay. Stop throwing him under the bus for every bad play he makes.
  13. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,178 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    59ß
    I'm pretty on the fence as well. On the one hand Jay has had a merry-go-round of OC's and no long term cohesion. Honestly, I don't know how long it takes to get over being "shell shocked" and settling in to make better in-game decisions but if Trestman believed that he should take the rest of the season off in favor of Josh I'd be perfectly ok with that.
  14. 4th and 26

4th and 26 George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +553 / 3 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    222ß
    Jay Cutler >> Chad Pennington
  15. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +445 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    48ß
    I'm going with no.

1. Injury prone
    2. Inconsistent
    3. "bad jay" all but gaurentees a loss

I would not mind singing him to a modest 16-18 mil 2 year deal and draft a qb with first or 2ndr rounder (likely first) to be the starter. Very likely the kid would end up playing here and there in relief of an injured Cutler and when he is ready to take the reigns we let him assume that role (dosent matter if its TC his rookie year or not till his 3rd season, whenever he is truly able to succeed he can take over.)

I honestly feel that Jay's pride would get in the way and he wouldnt accept such a deal, but if we have to use McCown as a "filler" until the kid gets ready. Long term I think its in our best interest to not tie up 100 mil into cutler, use that money to fill holes and let Tresty start fresh with a talnted rookie
  16. Bear_40

Bear_40 Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    I'll say yes. The improvement in a short period of time with another new offense and coach is impressive (at least to me). It's going to take some time for Jay to get comfortable, while for JM he hasn't had to deal with the crap that was Lovie and his stooges both on the field (Oline) and off the field (Martz, Tice....).
    • Like Like x 1
  17. vmx12

vmx12 Rookie

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Only need to worry about next year since they'll franchise him at the end of this year.
  18. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,351 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    454ß
    Not for 5 years. At least that's my opinion. I am more on the fence now than ever. I have seen a very mediocre QB (McCown) move the ball VERY well in this offense. That means that Trestman can probably develop a real stud if he gets the right guy --- wouldn't have to be the #1 QB pick (which we won't get anyway), so that makes having a very productive QB much more achievable than I would have thought before seeing McCown.

What confounds me is that the better QB, the better they should do in this system. I believe (I think...) that Cutler is a much better QB, but one could even make the argument that McCown has been more effective. In this new O, Cutler HAS shown he can also move the ball (first drive against the Lions), but he continues to try and push things which normally don't end well with him.

I am ok with keeping him longer to give him more time and I am also ok with moving away from him. We need to keep McCown one way or another though. He is a good inexpensive insurance policy that can run this particular Offense.
  19. Strangerwithcandy11

Strangerwithcandy11 Head Coach

Ratings:
    +1,551 / 15 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    119ß
    I don't know about you guys but I'd rather go back to having 12 different QBs in 10 years. Lets face it. Jay has been the best QB we've had and to think that good QBs grown on trees is forgetting our storied past with them. I'd rather have Jay in the same offense growing with AJ and Bmarsh. I'd rather try some stabilty. Then again the next guy is going to be awesome......I can feel it
  20. vmx12

vmx12 Rookie

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Here's a thought. maybe Both Jay and McCown are both looking pretty damn good this year because we have the best 1-2 punch in the NFL at wideout with AJ and BM. Not to mention finally a very good tightend.
    • Like Like x 1