POLL-Do YOU want Jay Cutler to be the QB of the Bears for the next 5+ years

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BradMustersGhost, Nov 11, 2013.

?

Do you want Cutler to be our QB for the next 5+ years?

1. A-Yes, pay the man his money, Phil!!!!

10 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. B-No, he will never be an elite or near elite NFL QB

20 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. Strangerwithcandy11

Strangerwithcandy11

Ratings:
    +1,288 / 12 / -1

That may have something to do with it. Now lets build on that as opposed to starting over with another QB. There is a reason why Josh has been a backup. Its not because NFL teams and scouts have missed out on him. Its because guys like him after awhile will get exposed. Once they find out what throws he can and can not make in this offense it will be sit on those routes. I'm glad he's playing well. I pray he wins every game he starts. I also realize that in reality Jay is the best QB we've had. I believe that another year or two in this offense and we'll be something serious to contend with. Bringing in new coaches every year hasn't worked. Now we expect bringing in a new QB will turn things around quickly? I'm not sold on that line of thinking.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears

Ratings:
    +376 / 0 / -0
    And bring in a developmental QB like EIU kid and now you have all the bases covered it's not rocket science.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

Ratings:
    +1,943 / 8 / -2
    Yeah, I'm not sure how I feel about this complete turn on Jay Cutler. Dude's made some bad decisions this year, but is completely absolved from blame for trying to stick it out against the Lions. Peyton Manning has a similar ankle injury (it was the ankle the whole time, not the groin), and the reason he's not getting grief, is because his touchdowns came in early enough to prevent a full comeback by the Chargers. A healthy Peyton Manning will blow out that Chargers team 9/10 times, same as Jay would have with this Lions team. He's p**s poor with going from his first two reads to his checkdown, but he's also shown the ability to dink and dunk (The Giants game was the best example of that this year) when the defense isn't allowing him to go deep every pass attempt. He's suffered too many injuries to consider him a "lock" to start 16 games, but there's absolutely no reasonable way to think that a rookie should be brought in next year to replace him. Draft someone you believe could be a starter, and sign Jay to another short term contract, to compete for the job. It would be completely stupid just to let Jay walk, and to expect a rookie to come in and do better, as it is completely stupid to think Emery and Trestman are gonna make that gamble.
    • Like Like x 3
  4. inchibearfan

inchibearfan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Not to mention we could actually wind up getting an amazing quarterback, but we still have a terrible defense. Who is going to play DT next year, cornerback, safety, etc.? Is quarterback really our problem at this point in time? Is there a sure fire Peyton Manning in this draft? If yes, then you take him. If no, then you still need a defense to win (and even Manning needs a resemblance of one).
  5. MPbears68

MPbears68

Ratings:
    +858 / 1 / -0
    You cross that bridge when you come to it next year. FTing Cutler just delays the LT contract choice by a year like was done with Melton. That turned out to be a fortuitous choice. You can't sign a QB to a big multi-year deal who A) can't stay on the field and B) hasn't proven himself as elite against marquis competition. Jay simply hasn't won "key games" consistently enough and has missed multiple games for several seasons in a row. Too big a risk.
  6. tey216

tey216

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Meh...

Depends how much he is asking for in the off season... I think I've seen enough of Cutler since he has been in Chicago to know that he wont be an elite QB, he is prone to bone head mistakes... He has the same moniker as another recent memory QB with the Good Jay Bad Jay tag... Brings back not to distant memories... and that aint good. I will say though that having Jay makes Chicago have a respectable option at QB. So I'd say a the end of the year if he isn't asking for a Flacco or Romo type contract... Sign him to a 3year deal. Keep a good back up... Then go from there...
  7. DavidL

DavidL SuperFan

Ratings:
    +472 / 2 / -3
    Cutler has improved all his stats this year under Trestman. If they hold together as an offense, I don't see any reason why he wouldn't play as well or better next season. So you'll still have to make a long-term decision on him before you know whether your rookie is worth a damn.

As far as crossing the bridge, I seen that bridge before as Bears go from one bad QB to the next for years -- no, decades. It is a recurring nightmare for OLD Bears fans. Just thinking about it gives me a PTSD attack!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Strangerwithcandy11

Strangerwithcandy11

Ratings:
    +1,288 / 12 / -1

Exactly. It seems obvious that Jay is better this year and its just year one in this system. The system isn't going anywhere so for me it makes more sense to build on what we've seen (better Jay) than to start over with some unknown. It seems like ALL the good QBs have been in the same system for a long time. I say lets give that novel idea a try before we say lets start over......again.
  9. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +774 / 2 / -0
    yeah... certainly a valid perspective. That's what makes it such a hard decision. You can make a really strong argument in several directions.
  10. DavidL

DavidL SuperFan

Ratings:
    +472 / 2 / -3
    That'a true. Out here, the Seahawks have Russell Wilson taken in 3rd round, and Seahawks fans love him. So, if you could guarantee me a QB like Russell in the 3rd round, I trade Cutler for a stud defensive lineman or move up in first round and use all the money saved to buy a great defense. But I still say it's a crap shoot.
  11. MPbears68

MPbears68

Ratings:
    +858 / 1 / -0
    Of course it's a crap shoot. It's a crap shoot going with Cutler for the next 4-5 years too. The FT gives you another season to evaluate Jay AND whatever rookie you draft. I wish it weren't so, but Cutler hasn't played a full or near-full 16 games in about 4 seasons now and he's won one playoff game his entire career. Lets be realistic about what the upside is here...not much, .he is what he is.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. CaptainHookShot

CaptainHookShot

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    If Jay will take a reasonable short term contract then I wouldn't have any objections to keeping him around. It has to be VERY reasonable tho and in the meantime the position needs to be opened up to competition and that includes McCown. For Cutler's whole career in Chicago that hasn't been the case, but he needs to know that the bar is being set very high if he sticks around and that yes, the Bears will be drafting a qb to get ready for the future.
    This past preseason the patriots brought in Tebow and the Packers brought in Vince Young. Not saying I want either of those guys on my team(and neither did they), but they at least took a look at them. It's like with the Bears our quarterbacks have always been mediocre for very short spurts to out right terrible and yet they somehow exist in the starting qb bubble that not even a win in green bay on Monday Night football can penetrate.
  13. MrDynamite32

MrDynamite32

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    I'm on the fence on this one. The one knock on Cutler, IMO, is that he's reckless at times. It's okay to have a little recklessness, but Jay's recklessness has hurt this team more than it has helped him. I did, however, see signs of that recklessness being reigned in a bit under the Trestman system before he got hurt. I say keep him around, but he shouldn't get a long-term contract.
  14. tbear1

tbear1

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    5 years is a long time to project out Cutlers value to the Bears. I think we still need Jay in the near term (1-2 years), but would like to begin the backfill process sooner rather than later. I would like to see us pick up a young qb this year. The problem is we need defensive personel. Picking up a late round qb, generaly reduces your chances of finding an NFL quality qb. If this years qb prospects are as deep as the media is saying, it may be one of the few years we can pick up a second round qb. That would let us pick up a first round defensive player. This will again be a rebuilding year with lots of movement of playersin the off season.
  15. a_miljan

a_miljan

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    I wouldnt take him for 5 year and seal our future, not only in qb position but in free agency too. so, no, but i would like to see him back next year or 2y. but he had this year to show himself, was getting better, but his dark moments seem to stay around, not to mention injuries...
  16. MPbears68

MPbears68

Ratings:
    +858 / 1 / -0
    I agree. Trestman/Kromer is a huge improvement in offensive coaching over Lovie and his traveling band of misfit OCs. And his supporting cast on the field is much much better too. I'll give you some other statistics on Jay to chew on.

Number of full seasons played in 5 years as a Bear: 1
    Number of playoff appearances: 1
    Number of playoff wins: 1 (over the weakest playoff team in easily the last decade, Seattle "won" their div at 7-9)
    Number of SB appearances: 0

How about just this year in the TCO?

Number of turnovers (ints + fumbles) in 8 games: 12
    Record as a starter this year: 4-4
    Record vs teams with a winning record: 1-3

I'm not trying to be snarky with you. I understand the dilemma in that good QBs are hard to come by and Cutler is a "good QB" (not anywhere near great but merely above average). Given the massive holes to fill in a defensive rebuild and the huge salary cap implications, I just don't see how you can make a big dollar, 4-5 year commitment to a 31 year old guy whose record indicates A) he probably won't play 16 games, B) he STILL turns the ball over too much, and C) he hasn't won "big games" with any regularity.

Not now anyway. The FT allows you to kick that can down the road one more season without any long term obligations while you give Trestman a rookie to groom. If Jay stays healthy, plays lights out in 2014, and takes the team on a deep playoff run, you can always pay the piper then. If he has another injury-riddled 7-9 win mediocre season, you can move on without being saddled with big dead cap money.
  17. DavidL

DavidL SuperFan

Ratings:
    +472 / 2 / -3
    Bears are not losing because of Cutler. We are third (nearly tied with N.O. for 2nd) behind Broncos in ppg. We are scoring over 27 points per game. We are losing because we have one of the worst defenses in the NFL. They can't get a stop when needed in the 4Q.

Blaming Cutler for playoffs record is unfair. It takes a complete team effort to get far in the playoffs. How many years did it take John Elway to win a Super Bowl? Regardless how well Cutler plays next year, unless we get our defense fixed, we are not going deep in the playoffs. It is VERY optimistic to think we can get that done by next year, considering the state of our DL and defensive backs. My plan would be to keep this offense, including Cutler, intact. Focus on building the defense over the next couple years, and become Super Bowl contender by 2017. We could get there ahead of schedule if some of our young players develop into solid players. People around here think I'm nuts, but I see CornWash as potentially one of those guys. A strong pass rush is foundation of good defense -- today more than ever.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,532 / 0 / -0
    I do understand, as I've gone through those same years, and know the same feeling about the past. But I am confident we have a better GM and a better offensive-minded head coach now. The defense is another matter, but as far as Emery/Trestman replacing Cutler with a guy who can actually win big games, and beat Green Bay, I have no doubt. I really don't.

If "Bad Jay" is gone forever, then I'm fine keeping him. He doesn't have to be elite. I've never expected that of him - it's not in his DNA. But just keep "Bad Jay" from killing our team in big games.

Just because the past was dysfunctional on offense in general, and with our QB's in particular, that doesn't have to dictate our future.
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

Ratings:
    +1,943 / 8 / -2
    No such thing as a "guarantee" at QB via the draft, and certainly no guarantee of a 3rd rounder working out lol
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. phatdude

phatdude

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Here's the deal: it's a DAMN SHAME what Lovie and those crap OCs did to Jay over the years. They didn't guide him properly and they let the o-line decimate him over and over. Now Jay's body (and confidence) is destroyed. I feel bad for him, because if he would have had a good o-line and better coaching, he may have been a franchise QB.

But we are where we are now. Selfishly I want Jay to stay and be great, but being honest with myself, I know he's at the end.
    • Like Like x 1