POLL-Do YOU want Jay Cutler to be the QB of the Bears for the next 5+ years

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BradMustersGhost, Nov 11, 2013.

?

Do you want Cutler to be our QB for the next 5+ years?

1. A-Yes, pay the man his money, Phil!!!!

10 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. B-No, he will never be an elite or near elite NFL QB

20 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. Strangerwithcandy11

Strangerwithcandy11 Head Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    408ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!

That may have something to do with it. Now lets build on that as opposed to starting over with another QB. There is a reason why Josh has been a backup. Its not because NFL teams and scouts have missed out on him. Its because guys like him after awhile will get exposed. Once they find out what throws he can and can not make in this offense it will be sit on those routes. I'm glad he's playing well. I pray he wins every game he starts. I also realize that in reality Jay is the best QB we've had. I believe that another year or two in this offense and we'll be something serious to contend with. Bringing in new coaches every year hasn't worked. Now we expect bringing in a new QB will turn things around quickly? I'm not sold on that line of thinking.

• Like Like x 1
  2. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    663ß
    And bring in a developmental QB like EIU kid and now you have all the bases covered it's not rocket science.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    953ß
    Yeah, I'm not sure how I feel about this complete turn on Jay Cutler. Dude's made some bad decisions this year, but is completely absolved from blame for trying to stick it out against the Lions. Peyton Manning has a similar ankle injury (it was the ankle the whole time, not the groin), and the reason he's not getting grief, is because his touchdowns came in early enough to prevent a full comeback by the Chargers. A healthy Peyton Manning will blow out that Chargers team 9/10 times, same as Jay would have with this Lions team. He's p**s poor with going from his first two reads to his checkdown, but he's also shown the ability to dink and dunk (The Giants game was the best example of that this year) when the defense isn't allowing him to go deep every pass attempt. He's suffered too many injuries to consider him a "lock" to start 16 games, but there's absolutely no reasonable way to think that a rookie should be brought in next year to replace him. Draft someone you believe could be a starter, and sign Jay to another short term contract, to compete for the job. It would be completely stupid just to let Jay walk, and to expect a rookie to come in and do better, as it is completely stupid to think Emery and Trestman are gonna make that gamble.

• Like Like x 3
  4. inchibearfan

inchibearfan Rookie

ßearz ßuckz:
    18ß
    Not to mention we could actually wind up getting an amazing quarterback, but we still have a terrible defense. Who is going to play DT next year, cornerback, safety, etc.? Is quarterback really our problem at this point in time? Is there a sure fire Peyton Manning in this draft? If yes, then you take him. If no, then you still need a defense to win (and even Manning needs a resemblance of one).

5. MPbears68

MPbears68 Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,336ß
    You cross that bridge when you come to it next year. FTing Cutler just delays the LT contract choice by a year like was done with Melton. That turned out to be a fortuitous choice. You can't sign a QB to a big multi-year deal who A) can't stay on the field and B) hasn't proven himself as elite against marquis competition. Jay simply hasn't won "key games" consistently enough and has missed multiple games for several seasons in a row. Too big a risk.

6. tey216

tey216 Rookie

ßearz ßuckz:
    Meh...

Depends how much he is asking for in the off season... I think I've seen enough of Cutler since he has been in Chicago to know that he wont be an elite QB, he is prone to bone head mistakes... He has the same moniker as another recent memory QB with the Good Jay Bad Jay tag... Brings back not to distant memories... and that aint good. I will say though that having Jay makes Chicago have a respectable option at QB. So I'd say a the end of the year if he isn't asking for a Flacco or Romo type contract... Sign him to a 3year deal. Keep a good back up... Then go from there...

7. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,817ß
    Cutler has improved all his stats this year under Trestman. If they hold together as an offense, I don't see any reason why he wouldn't play as well or better next season. So you'll still have to make a long-term decision on him before you know whether your rookie is worth a damn.

As far as crossing the bridge, I seen that bridge before as Bears go from one bad QB to the next for years -- no, decades. It is a recurring nightmare for OLD Bears fans. Just thinking about it gives me a PTSD attack!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Strangerwithcandy11

Strangerwithcandy11 Head Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    408ß

Exactly. It seems obvious that Jay is better this year and its just year one in this system. The system isn't going anywhere so for me it makes more sense to build on what we've seen (better Jay) than to start over with some unknown. It seems like ALL the good QBs have been in the same system for a long time. I say lets give that novel idea a try before we say lets start over......again.

9. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,787ß
    yeah... certainly a valid perspective. That's what makes it such a hard decision. You can make a really strong argument in several directions.

10. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,817ß
    That'a true. Out here, the Seahawks have Russell Wilson taken in 3rd round, and Seahawks fans love him. So, if you could guarantee me a QB like Russell in the 3rd round, I trade Cutler for a stud defensive lineman or move up in first round and use all the money saved to buy a great defense. But I still say it's a crap shoot.