POLL-Do YOU want Jay Cutler to be the QB of the Bears for the next 5+ years

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BradMustersGhost, Nov 11, 2013.

?

Do you want Cutler to be our QB for the next 5+ years?

1. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +984 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    18ß
    I agree but that's not the point. It's not that "Cutler loses games". He hasn't this year (except for Detroit game 1 in which he did pretty much lose it 90% on his own). It's that he doesn't WIN GAMES. Not "big games" anyway. It's even worse that 1-3 this year as his one signature win was against an AFC team on opening day. He's 0-2 in the division and 0-3 in the conference. After crappy performances in Detroit and Washington, the Bears were handed a gift from heaven against Green Bay with Rodgers out and McCown surprising everyone with his solid ball-control performance. The very next week coming off that huge unexpected win on the road the Bears once again couldn't get it done in a BIG MUST WIN game. I do fault Trestman a lot for some very questionable tactical and strategic decisions but Jay (who probably should have been pulled as we've discussed) was utterly ineffective from the late-2ndQ on. That pick on the goal line was a horrible decision that flipped momentum badly. I blame Trestman for calling it (if he did, Jay may have been freelancing there) and Cutler for throwing it no matter what the call was from the sidelines.

The D is a total dumpster fire, no argument from me there. But the D didn't lose Sundays game giving up only 21 at home to Stafford/Calvin/Reggie. The ineffective/inconsistent/opportunity-squandering O did. Again, Trestman and Cutler didn't get it done when they had to. All I'm saying is, concentrate on rebuilding the D this offseason while FT'ing Cutler (the O stays intact) and revisit the LT deal for him question next season. He hasn't shown enough to warrant a multi-year big dollar commitment IMO until he can show staying healthy, reducing avoidable TOs, making smarter/unsexy decisions, and regularly winning "big games" against high level competition.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +984 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    18ß
    I see that goal line pick as being indicative of that very problem, even though the game as a whole wasn't a "Bad Jay" day.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that Trestman called that very play (why????) and Jay didn't audible or freelance it. You're 1st down deep in the RZ at the end of the half in a tie game at home against a team you MUST beat. Say you try twice and don't get in. Say you don't feel you can run it in on 3rd (probably true). You throw a corner fade, or a back shoulder pylon, or a quick hitch in the flat to any of 4 receiving weapons you have--3 of whom are big dudes and one of whom is a shifty RB with good hands. Those are high percentage passes, or at least low risk ones. If the ball is dropped, fine. If the D rallies up and makes an open field tackle at the 2, fine. If it "isn't there" and you chuck it in the stands, fine. You protect the ball, take the 3, and likely go into half up 10-7 ending on a mildly positive note.

This is remarkably one of the few situations where holding the ball too long and being forced to take a sack doesn't hurt you too bad (as long as you sit down and don't fumble). Even a 10 yard loss there keeps the ball in your hands with a near-automatic FG to follow. Call it "better part of valor" or "situational awareness" or "playing it safe", whatever you want. The ONE THING that has to be in the QB's head is "I want the TD but I'm not going to risk losing the FG".

Instead, Cutler throws a ball over the middle into traffic (there's a dozen hands packed in tight) relying in his "rocket arm" to slip it in. Any tip or bobble there is likely gonna end badly. And that's what happened. He did the exact same thing vs New Orleans, with the same result. Upshot: you drive down the field deep into the red zone, come away with zero points, and go into halftime with a huge psychological momentum shift to the opposition. Can't prove it of course but I wonder if McCown would have thrown it outside or thrown it away or just sat down for the sack since he doesn't have Cutler's overconfidence in arm strength and "tight windows".

That play was a major buzzkill.
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  3. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +637 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    You guys wanna know why I love this forum; because this is a tough call and nearly every single post has merit without calling your fellow brothers out as "ignorant" or "meatballs" or "swinging from Jays sack" or a "Hater".

I have been labeled as an apologist for Cutler before, but now it's coming down to where the rubber meets the road (contract time). Cutler has been here long enough for us to have an idea of what he is, but he only now has a workable O-Line that gives him 2.7 seconds to get rid of the ball; he only now has other weapons around him that help him do his job; and he only know has an O-Coordiantor and Head Coach that understand Offensive football. My opinion is that Jay could easily take this team to a Super Bowl (and win it) given another year or two in this offense (Aaron Rodgers has been running the same O for years and it shows). How does that show up in an offense and with a QB? It shows up in his quickness in decision making. Give Jay the same offense for 3 years and I'll show you a Jay Cutler that the City of Chicago loves. So, yea, I would prefer to keep him,

HOWEVER,

We now have the QB Whisperer as our HC, and I'm pretty sure he could do great things with other guys as well. The point is, I don't think we have to have Jay Cutler under center to be successful. I think Trestman could do great things with other guys that, well, could come much cheaper. Some of those other guys may not even be Rookies, maybe they are guys like Matt Schaub or Sam Bradford. The point is, I want to win and I'm greedy, I want to win A LOT, EVERY YEAR! I would love for the Bears to surpass the # of Superbowl rings of the Steelers before I die, and I don't give a rats ass who the QB is that does it (except Vick, I hate Vick and so does my Lab). I'm not sure I like all of Trestmans in game decisions, but I do get the feeling watching Jay's improvement and McCown that our current coach does know a thing or two about developing QB's. I also know that when teams give a single player a huge chunk of the salary cap that the quality of the rest of the team diminishes, so that single player had better be responsible for at least a few wins all on their own.

So, my final conclusion is...it's up to Trestman and Cutler. Trestman knows much more about the traits of the QB that will have success in this offense than I do and only Cutler knows how little he would take to continue playing here. I do presume that Cutler will want more than 2 or 3 years, but if he wants Tony Romo numbers, then I would look elsewhere. If we could keep the numbers in the $15 mil per season range, I would give him 5 years. Anything more than that, and I think we take our chances with a new guy and try to re-build this tired Defense.

One last thing and I've brought it up before. Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall are brothers and Marshall loves playing with Jay. If you are like me you are very impressed with the professional manner with which Brandon has conducted his affairs since coming here, however, if we part company with Jay, we may also part company with our #1 WR as well, at least the one we know right now. You have to be ready for some unintended consequences when making big moves.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,812 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    73ß

That's an excellent assessment of the situation that takes all of the factors into consideration.