POLL: "How many starters on defense will Emery draft this year?"

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Jan 23, 2014.

?

Realistically, how many new starters will come through the draft this year?

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,867 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    117ß
    I'm talking about guys who will start day-1 of this season. Realistically, how many new starters will come through the draft this year?

I guess a follow-up questions is how many starter-quality FA's will we need to sign for the defense?
  2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,867 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    117ß
    It's a bit sobering to think about our needs for a total re-building year for our defense, and then realize we probably won't have a boatload of starters for defense in this 1 draft class. If Peanut walks, then we really need CB's, S, a rebuild of the DL - and the LB's I don't know about. Regardless of scheme we adopt, I'm not sure we can immediately fix much through this one draft class. Later round guys may not even make the team. And there's no guarantee we will draft all D either. I could see Emery grab an offense guy if a true steal drops to us on offense - even in the first three rounds.

I'm convinced the rebuilding of the defense is a two year project. We can make strides this season, but I don't expect miracles either.
  3. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    12ß
    JABF, u seem to forget we now have a LB and DL whisperer. All will be fixed in no time, Superbowl here we come!!!
  4. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +281 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    19ß
    From this draft, most teams would be happy with 2 real starters.

Not sure we can get away with less than 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +515 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    335ß
    We may be forced to start somebody we draft who is not ready to start, similar to Bostic.
  6. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +125 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I think two dpending on the postions. IF we take a safety within the two first rounds, he should be able to start right away, and if we take a DT in the first round we should have another starter there, especially if we don't resign Melton.
    I'm thinking at least two max 3, but it all depends on which postions we get "fixed" in FA.
  7. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,487 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    314ß
    got to have 3 starters, regardless of how unlikely it is; at least 3 have to step up and be able to play.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,631 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    279ß
    The draft is going to be heavy on defense. I would not be surprised if every pick was for the defense.
  9. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,487 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    314ß
    there is 0% chance of all 7 picks going on Def. No team goes all 1 way in a draft; unless they have 1 pick
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,867 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    117ß
    +1 on the unlikeness of hitting on 3 starters for defense.

I figure that if we get 3 guys who will eventually be starters, then that's probably a more realistic expectation, but not a given to happen. You hope the first round guy can start day-1, but it's not a "given" that he'll play solid ball even if you do start him. We've certainly seen a small army of mediocre, or down right bad 1st rounders start here in Chicago. Some never panned out as starters.

In a good year, you might even get a 2nd round guy like we did with Alshon Jeffery, but obviously that's not the rule. But it would be nice if Emery could show us he can do better than the Shea McClellin draft when it comes to drafting defense. I realize that some folks will point to Green and Bostic as home run hits because they were played this first year. But I didn't see much there to crow about.....not yet anyway.

In the 3rd round it gets even more "iffy" as to having a stud who can start day-1. And once you go beyond round 3 you get diminishing returns (guys like Cornelius Washington come to mind. Guys who may "someday" be starters, but probably not).
  11. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +498 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    69ß
    7 picks is not enough to "fix" the D, and we also need a center. I expect 3 draftees will be starters due to our lack of depth, not day 1, but early in the season. I think we need to re-sign DJ Williams. Getting younger is all well and good, but we can't have a bunch of new guys without veteran experience on the field. Bostic and Greene need guidance and any rookies we bring in will need even more. Hopefully PP is the Dline guru we need, Reggie Herring can get Bostic and Greene on track, and hopefully we get some good signings in FA.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +639 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    I think all 7 picks will be on defense and all 7 will start right away. I know, I'm a trouble maker. :)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +418 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß
    I say one, maybe two realistically. I could see a first rounder like Clinton-Dix and a step up guy on the DL somewhere later. If we let Melton go then 2 is more likely but we can look over FA either.
  14. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,024 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    268ß
    I vote 1.

2013 should have shown Emery's plan of attack: draft developmental players, and back them up with vets to start until players develop. Unfortunately, injuries kind of forced his hand this year, putting in rookies as starters.

So, i suspect our 1st round pick will start, and the rest will be backups under development, and we will acquire some starters via FA/re-signs.
    • Like Like x 3
  15. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +418 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß
    For realistic guys at 14, Jornagan and Clinton-Dix would basically be penciled in as starters from the minute they were drafted IMO...I'm sure there are more but my eye is on those 2 right now.