POLL: How many years do you think Jay will be able to play well?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Sep 25, 2013.

?

Assuming Jay is able to sustain his high level of play into future seasons, then how many years?

1. He's 30 years old now. He'll probably be a decent QB until age 35. So 5 more seasons.

9 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. He'll be a decent QB through age 37. This would be 7 more good seasons.

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. He's got an incredibly strong arm & is a big physical guy. He could go to age 40.

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  4. Other (explain)

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

Assuming Trestman will be able to bring him to a solid, sustainable, level of play (in other words, he's "fixed" Jay), then how long do you think a guy like Cutler can play at a high level?
  2. popcornlover

popcornlover Guest

Honestly 40 isnt out of park number
  3. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears

If does ok this year and Trest likes him he gets a deal to up to Trest contract 3 years. If he becomes the man this year he gets 5 I can't see it being more after that has to go on year by year basis.
  4. shark86x

shark86x SuperFan

If he can be a perennial packer killer I hope he can stick around longer than favre did. Seriously. But I'm sure he can be effective for a long time. Unless he doesn't lay off making the big hits and ends up getting hurt.
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Professional athletes seem to have better longevity now, than 25 or more years ago. The smart ones take good care of their bodies. I picture a guy like Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers doing that. Watching even the little things like nutrition. Jay has diabetes, so I would think that he's being very careful with his health......certainly enough to keep him healthy for his football career.

He has an incredibly strong arm & seems able to place his passes in tiny windows. I could see this continuing for several years. The problem in the past was decision making, not physical gifts. The physical gifts should be with Jay for several good years, certainly to age 40, and maybe a couple years beyond that, barring a horrendous injury.

I could see the, Emery - Trestman - Cutler group, being together for 10 or more years. Emery keeping that talent high, and just reloading players as they retire or move on. Trestman being the solid coach who keeps Cutler's head on straight. And Jay settling down, now that he's matured, and being a top-tier QB for the foreseeable future.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. 4dabers

4dabers

Diabetes can be the determining factor here and it can go either way. Yes, it could be the driving factor in keeping his diet in check, but age is age, and complications from the diabetes can begin to surface at any time. I said 37, but it could easily be more or less depending on how things go. A couple more concussions added to those he has already suffered could also play a significant role.
  7. popcornlover

popcornlover Guest

TRUE BUT I THINK JAY IS HAPPY NOW AND THE O-LINE IS KNDA FIXED NOW WE NEED A CENTER AND PATCH HOLES IN THAT defense in the DRAFT
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

I hadn't thought about the concussions. That's a good point. Hopefully the diabetes can be controlled.
  9. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears

10 years WoW and I thought I was an optimist. I hope you're right look at Peyton Manning that guy looks good for another 10 years as well. So you may be onto something.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros SuperFan

Eh, 5 sounds about right.
  11. Xa0sG0rilla

Xa0sG0rilla

Between diabetes and the beating he as already taken, I think this hypothetical "fixed" Jay (I do hope this is the case) would have 5 years of "peak" play with a possible 2 more of declining but good enough play.
  12. 4th and 26

4th and 26 Staff Member

It depends on how many time Suh hits him over the course of the years.
  13. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman

4th,
    Youre such a devil in your optimism.
    Seriously if given an OL that protects JCut ...
    how old is Tom Brady ?