POLL" How much improvement do you think we'll see in the team during this year?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Sep 18, 2013.

?

How much will this team improve THIS season?

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,710 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,237ß
    I think all of us see a team that needs to continue to get better each week. How much improvement will we see over the course of the season? I'm not asking about stuff like our record, or the playoffs or anything like that.

Do you think we have a pretty high ceiling with this team, for THIS season? Or a more modest one? Or is this about as good as we will be?
  2. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,589 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    943ß
    Small improvements on offense, moderate on defense (hopefully).

Offense seems to have had their trial by fire, and has two late game comebacks to secure victories. All they really need to do is keep doing what they are doing, and cut down on mental mistakes.

Defense...heh, difficult to tell at this point. Need more pressure from the DL, Tucker needs to adjust his game calling.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    ;)Right now this is a work in progress so I hope to see moderate improvement week to week.
  4. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +289 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß
    I really believe that we will see some very obvious improvements on Offense. I believe that we are actually in the growing pains mode , yet we are still winning because we have enough talent on Offense.

Defense will be solid this year but I do not see a lot of improvement, mainly because it is the same scheme, and no matter how many twists you put on it, it is still a bend don't break type D that will help win more games than it will allow to be lost.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +708 / 6 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    967ß
    Offense is already in good shape. Improvement will come mostly from the OL gaining more experience and (possibly) Cutler taking care of the ball better with fumbles and INT's.

Defense is a different story. Any significant improvement hinges upon getting more QB pressure and better safety play. Also, Major Wright's repeated failure to help cover the deep passes to AJ Green cost us 3 TD's and nearly the game. In Cover 2, his #1 job is to cover the deep zone, especially with a dangerous guy like Green. If Bears DL doesn't pressure and sack BigBen consistently and/or we're getting killed again by long passes, then I think it is time to make some changes in both personnel and game calling.
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,710 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,237ß
    I go back-and-forth on this. Two games into the season is still pretty early for a team that's had so many changes this off-season. It sounds like Trestman is a coach who will be a "detail person" always fine-tuning stuff. I can see him editing the playbook a bit (dumping stuff that didn't work well, adjusting other plays & even adding stuff). It also sounds like he's the kind of guy who is always teaching players he coaches. So, maybe he'll be coaching up the younger players on offense in particular. The defense does need to improve. I'm thinking we'll see things get better there as the season goes on too.

Just getting game reps should help everybody settle down a bit. Pre-season and training camp is important, but it really is a far cry from game reps (for coaches and players both). For a team with so much changed, it seems reasonable that things will improve. Injuries are the wild card though. If we stay relatively healthy, that's a huge benefit. But if we have key players go down to serious injuries, then that's a killer situation for our season.

I add all of this up and I'm thinking we'll see a lot of improvement. Some weeks it may seem like we take a step backwards, and we'll also lose games & the Bears fans will go nuts thinking the sky is falling and Trestman is a bum (Bears fans seem to go from one extreme to another when we lose a game). But overall, I think we'll continue to make significant progress all season long.

The Bears team in early December will be light-years beyond the team we're seeing in these first few games. The youngsters & new guys will be playing pretty solid by then.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    Some tend to forget that this is NOT the "Lovie In The Headlights" Bears from past seasons. The sky is falling crap is just that. This is a NEW Bears team that has obviously improved a LOT over past years and will continue to do so IMHO. I see better play calling, in-game adjustments and a more confident team overall. Yes there will be bumps in the road but I'm more excited about this years Bears than I have been in the past.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +703 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    412ß
    I believe we will see a moderate improvement week to week.

Last year at this time we were all still complaining about the O having no continuity and still being carried by the D. What a difference a year makes the O has made mistakes but they come right back and make great plays. That's what all great O's do. Does anyone recall gunslinger Brett Favre and that's why Cutty reminds so many he has the same mentality Favre had. Cutty feels he can through any pass anytime he likes because he thinks he's that good. Yes that's good & bad but sure beats the heck out of number of other QB's in this league we could have instead. So for Trest it's a matter of increasing the good and simply reducing the bad not eliminating all the bad because that starts to encroach on the good. Because taking chances is what all the great plays are built around. As they say there is fine line between good and bad.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +706 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    321ß
    The last two choices are really the same... Moderate improvement week to week will result in a significant improvement over the course of the season. But in any case, that is what I believe will happen. Trestman is keeping the offense simple to get the guys experience and confidence, especially the rookies. Game after game the offense will get more complex and he'll add more plays and wrinkles. Like a game plan, he's got a season plan. I can't wait to see how it develops. I just hope Tucker's on the same plan, because I'm a little worried in that department. Hopefully Peppers is over the flu by Sunday and Melton gets over his concussion repurcussions soon.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. A-11

A-11 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    What Shark said, moderate improvement week to week is significant. I do not see improvement this season as being a surprise reflection after the season.

Last year was a winning season, and normally would get us into the playoffs. I was expecting some drop off in performance early this year (kinda like the D's production so far) and the Bears have been doing better than I expected. I was counting on week to week improvement throughout the season. Like Shark I am excited to see how things develop and how many weeks the new staff can keep the team trending upwards.
    • Like Like x 1