POLL: If "Bad Jay" can't be fixed this season, should we give him a long-term contract anyway?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Sep 30, 2013.

?

If Jay continues to melt down in big games this year, should we give him the long-term contract?

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,015 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    3,376ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    After the season is over, if Jay looks like he's "as good as he's gonna get" and still has the "Bad Jay" meltdowns in big games (like against Green Bay again), should we sign him to a long term contract?

2. Passepartout

Passepartout Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    Jay needs to go to the playoffs and win. In order for them to talk a new deal after this season.

3. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,763 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    867ß
    Holy crap, gloom and doom has set hold here. I think the reason why Emery's waiting to make his call on Jay, is because he wants to see the whole picture, and so far, we've only seen, at most, 1/4th of the whole picture. We should at least wait til the 3/4 mark before asking this question, not after our first loss.

4. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,512 / 0 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    631ß
    One bad game every 4 isn't the end of the world. A good shot at 12 wins optimistically or just .500. Still in the range many thought. It's not like it's the Jags out here.

5. JJ-30

JJ-30 Veteran

Ratings:
    +182 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    76ß
    So one game makes Cutler a wash for the season, wow there is much Bear in these Bear Fans. If Culter plays the rest of the season like he did these 4 games we end up 12-4

6. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,052 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,306ß
    Really JJ? He plays like he did the first thee games we are guaranteed to win 12? His play wasn't that stellar in the first 3 games, he only went 1 games w/out a int or fumble....that's an awfully low bar you set for the qb position.

That being said Cutler, unless he is the reason for missing the playoffs is getting an extension, or at least a FT. It would take a minimum 3-4 more games like this one(4 turn overs) to bring any doubt into Emery's mind, and I don't think Cutler working w/Trestman as the year goes on has another 3-4 of those games in him. Problem is once the playoffs start(if the team gets there) I don't know that Cutler can go 4 games against that level of competition w/out crapping the bed once.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Coordinator

Ratings:
    +3,209 / 12 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    3,170ß
    Don't know how you can answer that question right now. What does his whole season look like? Does he have any more decision or mechanics issues? If so, are they trending down to where there is a confidence factor of them going away? Does he continue to win games when we are behind?

Too early and too generic IMO. I'd say if he continues to lose games where there is pressure put on him and he is not getting better, the writing is on the wall. In three games he played much better. The last team can really bring the pressure. As I mentioned before, the guy was only 3 games removed from being a pinata. Many times he was a pinata, it was Suh holding the stick. Sunday, he faces Suh and as usual, Suh gets to introduce himself a few more times to Cutler.

I think right now, Cutler is having to shed old ghosts. He seemed to be on the right track. I honestly do not know if it can be done. I do think it is too early to make that decision though.

• Like Like x 1
  8. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +388 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    182ß
    I still want Jay to improve and take us to a respectable level. I think we are looking at another loss against the Saints and the people that do not like Cutler will find reason to blame him regardless of his actual play (which I hope is much better).

9. yttocs

yttocs Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    152ß
    If JC is the PROBLEM, what is the SOLUTION? Is the fix the same as JC?, better, worse?

10. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

Ratings:
    +999 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    737ß
    Way too early for this. 4 games into a new system with new coaches and new players. Isn't it commonly stated by QBs that you need about 3 years to really get comfortable in a system? This guy has had 4 systems in 5 years or something. I've lost count. It will take time. We knew there would be bad games. It will happen. The best make mistakes. It happens.

I will bring this up from another thread... Trestman said Cutler received an IV during the game. Was his diabetes affecting him? He was just off all around in the first half. Missing throws, timing, mechanics, mentally. Possibly the worst half I ever saw him play. But he was better in the second half. Did the IV help? If he was having blood sugar issues, he needs to address it. And then THAT is something that IS correctable.