POLL: If "Bad Jay" can't be fixed this season, should we give him a long-term contract anyway?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Sep 30, 2013.

?

If Jay continues to melt down in big games this year, should we give him the long-term contract?

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,070 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    334ß
    After the season is over, if Jay looks like he's "as good as he's gonna get" and still has the "Bad Jay" meltdowns in big games (like against Green Bay again), should we sign him to a long term contract?
  2. Passepartout

Passepartout Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Jay needs to go to the playoffs and win. In order for them to talk a new deal after this season.
  3. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,406 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    330ß
    Holy crap, gloom and doom has set hold here. I think the reason why Emery's waiting to make his call on Jay, is because he wants to see the whole picture, and so far, we've only seen, at most, 1/4th of the whole picture. We should at least wait til the 3/4 mark before asking this question, not after our first loss.
  4. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,172 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    49ß
    One bad game every 4 isn't the end of the world. A good shot at 12 wins optimistically or just .500. Still in the range many thought. It's not like it's the Jags out here.
  5. JJ-30

JJ-30 Veteran

Ratings:
    +127 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    17ß
    So one game makes Cutler a wash for the season, wow there is much Bear in these Bear Fans. If Culter plays the rest of the season like he did these 4 games we end up 12-4
  6. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,666 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    591ß
    Really JJ? He plays like he did the first thee games we are guaranteed to win 12? His play wasn't that stellar in the first 3 games, he only went 1 games w/out a int or fumble....that's an awfully low bar you set for the qb position.

That being said Cutler, unless he is the reason for missing the playoffs is getting an extension, or at least a FT. It would take a minimum 3-4 more games like this one(4 turn overs) to bring any doubt into Emery's mind, and I don't think Cutler working w/Trestman as the year goes on has another 3-4 of those games in him. Problem is once the playoffs start(if the team gets there) I don't know that Cutler can go 4 games against that level of competition w/out crapping the bed once.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,232 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    293ß
    Don't know how you can answer that question right now. What does his whole season look like? Does he have any more decision or mechanics issues? If so, are they trending down to where there is a confidence factor of them going away? Does he continue to win games when we are behind?

Too early and too generic IMO. I'd say if he continues to lose games where there is pressure put on him and he is not getting better, the writing is on the wall. In three games he played much better. The last team can really bring the pressure. As I mentioned before, the guy was only 3 games removed from being a pinata. Many times he was a pinata, it was Suh holding the stick. Sunday, he faces Suh and as usual, Suh gets to introduce himself a few more times to Cutler.

I think right now, Cutler is having to shed old ghosts. He seemed to be on the right track. I honestly do not know if it can be done. I do think it is too early to make that decision though.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +281 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    I still want Jay to improve and take us to a respectable level. I think we are looking at another loss against the Saints and the people that do not like Cutler will find reason to blame him regardless of his actual play (which I hope is much better).
  9. yttocs

yttocs Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    17ß
    If JC is the PROBLEM, what is the SOLUTION? Is the fix the same as JC?, better, worse?
  10. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +538 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    135ß
    Way too early for this. 4 games into a new system with new coaches and new players. Isn't it commonly stated by QBs that you need about 3 years to really get comfortable in a system? This guy has had 4 systems in 5 years or something. I've lost count. It will take time. We knew there would be bad games. It will happen. The best make mistakes. It happens.

I will bring this up from another thread... Trestman said Cutler received an IV during the game. Was his diabetes affecting him? He was just off all around in the first half. Missing throws, timing, mechanics, mentally. Possibly the worst half I ever saw him play. But he was better in the second half. Did the IV help? If he was having blood sugar issues, he needs to address it. And then THAT is something that IS correctable.
  11. kevperro

kevperro Rookie

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    17ß
    I'm not looking at one season of history. I'd say the balance of the evidence is that Jay is Jay and what you see is what you get. He doesn't have additional upside from here. That being said you cannot just dump a player because he isn't a Brady or Manning. There would need to be a Plan B in place and I don't see a viable one where we upgrade Jay.

I'll say one thing though.... without playoff wins and some games where Jay provides a glimmer of hope that he can tighten up his turnover margin in tough situations, his bargaining position is greatly weakened. They better not pay him like a Romo.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,070 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    334ß
    I'm not saying we shouldn't sign Cutler.

I am asking people here what their feeling is, after we have his entire body-of-work to consider, at the end of the season. If, at the end of this season (and actually after a number of seasons here in Chicago) his ceiling doesn't look like he can win big games, at that time, it's valid to ask the question - do you do a Jerry Angelo and sign him anyway? Or do you look for a "Plan B" that will give us a shot at winning a Super Bowl here in Chicago.

One other thing. This isn't a "one game" thing. Give us credit for having seen a LOT of Jay Cutler's body of work here in Chicago. He's a great QB in some games. In big games "Bad Jay" comes out. Especially against Green Bay. I know (and agree) that Cutler is the best QB we've had here in many years. Is that "good enough" or not? That is the prime question. How high do we set the bar?

We've been in 3rd place in the NFC-N, even though we've had a top-5 defense. We no longer have a top-5 defense, so we'd better have a QB who can win big games.

It's kind of like the Cubs. I'm a Cub fan. I love those "lovable losers" and always say "next year will be better" even though it's usually just another bad year. Do we set the Bears bar low too? Is 3rd place in the NFC-N ok with a QB who can't win big games? Hence the poll.
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  13. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,034 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    70ß
    Sorry, but I can't agree with this (for the vast majority of us "concerned" people here). I REALLY REALLY WANT CUTLER TO TAKE THE NEXT STEP AND THE BEARS TO WIN WITH HIM UNDER CENTER.

I could care less about his supposed "bad attitude" or smirks or aloofness or any of that crap the media likes to whine about. What does annoy me is him coming unglued, breaking down mechanically, and reverting into a turnover machine.

I would argue in today's NFL, with the rules and enforcement seriously handicapping defenses compared to 20 years ago, that minimizing turnovers is one of the most vital aspects of a modern QBs performance. It's almost impossible for defenses in today's game to consistently stop good opposing teams when they're given extra possessions on short fields (ie, "bailing out the O for a turnover").

I don't expect Cutler to match Brees yard for yard next week and I don't care. But if he turns the ball over more than DB does, it's going to be almost impossible to win.
  14. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,232 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    293ß
    ok, I didn't get that from the initial question. Sorry.

I'd say at that point in time, it becomes a priority. This is not going to go over well, but I say we still sign him. Not to a long term contract but to a one year deal. Even if we have to overpay and put a franchise tag on him (and that would be way overpaying) I say we still do that.

The reason is we have no idea if who we get will be even worse. I have said this before and will continue to say this. Cutler is much better than we have had in a long time even if we know we have to get rid of him. We need him as some sort of security blanket if nothing else. Plus, another year in the same O and under Trestman may do it if the first does not --- although once we have made the decision, the focus should be on the new guy and not Cutler.

I understand the argument about once you make a decision, don't throw good money after bad, just cut him. I am not going to argue that because I think that viewpoint is also valid, and I could make that argument myself. I just think that he is not someone I would get rid of until I know I have just as good or better. I still remember the poor excuses for QBs that we have had run through here. In this case I want my security blanket. Maybe even a teddy bear (just as long as it looks like JLo)
  15. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,070 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    334ß
    Actually, BIH, that may be a good option. Maybe our best option too. I'm not saying dump Cutler. And hey, he may turn it around and Sunday was the last "Bad Jay" sighting we'll have. Ever.

I'm like MP on this. I'm hoping Jay Cutler works out just fine as a Bear. I don't hate the guy. On the contrary, we NEED him to pull his head out of his butt in big games and help us pass Green Bay (and now Detroit) to win our division, and ultimately a championship.

What I don't understand is why Bears fans get in a huff if you question anything about Jay Almighty Cutler. I'm not trying to demonize the guy. I just want him to perform better. Maybe I set the bar too high. But that's just me. I want to win a Super Bowl here. I'm NOT okay with the old "lovable loser" love. Win, or figure out why you're not winning Super Bowls in Chicago.

Set the bar high, and then get over the bar.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,034 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    70ß
    JC isn't the problem. BAD JAY is the problem. That's why Trestman was brought in...to purge JC of BAD JAY as much as possible. We shall see, but this past Sunday was a step backwards.
  17. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,232 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    293ß
    I try to stay neutral on him. You can easily fall into the trap of his play under pressure is just not good enough to win a SB. And if keeps playing like that under pressure, that may in fact be true. Or you can go in the opposite direction. He is the best we have had in decades. Don't get rid of him.

At the end of the day, we have QB that needs to be able to win a SB. If Cutler is not that guy, then we need someone else. At the same time, his talent is undeniable. And I will go back to his early days in Chicago. He did not play scared. He did not get rattled. So he comes here and we have half ruined the guy. It's not his fault. He is a good QB. But he still has to be able to win a SB regardless. And if we get rid of him because he can't, then we risk having a guy that will be even worse. The only real solution in case we decide that he can't win us a SB is to mitigate the risk by keeping him in case the new guy is worse. If he is, you still have Cutler. If the guy turns out better, you paid for an insurance policy and move on.

The real issue if if the guy is worse. What do you do in year 2?

Right now, I have seen progress in Cutler. He has made less mistakes. He has reverted when under pressure. If i had been hit for 4 years, I think I would too. At this point, it can go both ways. I see progress, but don't know if we can cure the disease. But I also know how hard it to to get better, so I'm not ready to throw him out until I see what Trestman does with him over the whole year and I want to see how he reacts when under pressure again. But it is so ingrained, I would not be surprised if he gets to bad habits again. He needs to feel comfortable for many more games before I think he starts to settle down, but playing in the NFL, someone will be coming after him every week. Playing Detroit I think will help our OL. I think protection will continue to get better. So many things are in flux right now. Too many moving parts. It is too hard to say how the Cutler saga will end, but I am rooting for him because it is the path of least resistance and fastest payback.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,070 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    334ß
    They probably have poor Jay strapped to a gurney in the dark basement of Halas Hall, as we speak. Trying to purge "Bad Jay" from his psyche.

[​IMG]
  19. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,172 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    49ß
    How much of this is "Bad Jay" is from mechanics and read progressions and how much is from acclimating to the system? If old vets seemingly can't cut it as qb backups that cannot improve with free time sitting on the pine then how many reps, work and extra things that cannot be fixed this season be done with a starting qb?
  20. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,232 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    293ß
    I think with JC, there is a third factor in addition to mechanics and read progressions -- it is playing with the footsteps of DL in your head. I think that this is actually what is causing the first two to a great degree. And then of course there is acclimating to the new O also.
    JA and Lovie did a number on him for sure. He may not be able to get where we need him to be, but I still think he can be with some more time with Trestman and behind a decent line. If not, well, we go fish.