POLL: Who would be the best defensive coordinator?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Oct 29, 2013.

?

Theoretically, who is the best DC of this trio?

1. Mel "Tuckered Out" Tucker

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  2. "Hot Rod" Marinelli

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Lovie Smith

8 vote(s)
    53.3%
  1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    5,287ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    I "get it" that Tucker is here to stay for awhile. But theoretically, who is the best DC of this trio?

2. shark86x

shark86x
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,036ß
    At this point, I have to go with Lovie Dovie. He was able to get the most out of the players he had. He was in over his head with the O, and with talent evaluation, but limiting him to DC I think he'd do well.

Hot Rod is a DL coach, no more.

I have to give Tucker a pass on this, because we haven't seen enough of his abilities as we are truly decimated by injuries, age and Jerry/Lovie drafting. We weren't playing all that great before the injuries hit, but would that have continued? Or would Tucker have gotten everything together in a couple games? As it is, the Tuckered-out Defense is all we have to go by.

3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    5,287ß
    Lovie didn't know much about offense, but he sure had some solid defenses here in Chicago. It's what he knew, and knew well. In fact, it seemed like the defense was always his baby, and it really didn't matter who the DC was. It was always "Lovie's defense" more than anyone else. If only we had a decent offense during those years, we'd have had some solid teams. Makes you wonder what we could have had with the best of both worlds - a Trestman offense and a Lovie defense.

4. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,157ß
    Lovie: he would no longer have control of who's on the team, and therefore still no BU and no Izzy, no Roach. W/this staff he'd still be running the Lovie 2 and expect his front 4 to get pressure w/no help from anyone else. When he doesn't have the players, his D's were only slightly worse then the one the Bears have now, and even then his players were better then what they have now.
    Hot Rod: Dallas has a worse ranked D then we do, how well is he doing w/out BU and Izzy?
    Tucker: did he do much in Jax? Jax is awful, has he ever had talent around him? Not this year he doesn't, age, inj and lack of good young players is killing this D more then any DC could hope to make respectable, but could they at least be in the low 20's? I really don't know, most said he was brought in b/c of his knowledge of a wide variety of schemes, but nothing about what he has done or is doing screams new monsters of the midway.

At this point, it really doesn't matter b/c Lovie wasn't staying as DC, nor should he have. Hot Rod refused to stay b/c he's long time buddy buddy w/Lovie Lovie.

Could we have gotten a better DC then we did? I don't know, Ryan down south in NO is a 3-4 guy, no way we were doing that this year, and even so Tucker can run a 3-4 if/when the team wants him to. Who else was there? Regardless I want to reserve judgement of Tucker next year when we have a almost 100% new cast(tillman gone, peppers gone, shea backup, wootton back to de, conte/wrong backing up not starting etc, dj gone, anderson might be gone etc). And see what his system looks like, not him running Lovie's system.

5. Jimmors

Jimmors
    Expand Collapse
    The Rhymenoceros
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,205ß
    I voted Mel, simply for the fact that Lovie would be too much of a distraction at this point in time. Too many players were loyal to him, so if he were here, that would create some unnecessary tension and drama that could affect our team even worse.

6. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    681ß
    Ron Rivera trust me I know what I'm doing Lovie's famous last words.

7. VJ18

VJ18
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    343ß
    Rod

8. short faced bear

short faced bear
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    842ß
    It's a false choice listed but it's Rod and I'd rather have him just coaching the D-line.

• Like Like x 2
  9. The Benjamin

The Benjamin
    Expand Collapse
    George Halas
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,324ß
    Ummmm Lovie's defenses were pretty damn good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Henry Burris

Henry Burris
    Expand Collapse
    Head Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    953ß
    Meh, I'll stick with Mel, and see what an uninjured and revamped defense looks like.