POLL: Who would be the best defensive coordinator?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Oct 29, 2013.

?

Theoretically, who is the best DC of this trio?

1. Mel "Tuckered Out" Tucker

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  2. "Hot Rod" Marinelli

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Lovie Smith

8 vote(s)
    53.3%
  1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

I "get it" that Tucker is here to stay for awhile. But theoretically, who is the best DC of this trio?
  2. shark86x

shark86x SuperFan

At this point, I have to go with Lovie Dovie. He was able to get the most out of the players he had. He was in over his head with the O, and with talent evaluation, but limiting him to DC I think he'd do well.

Hot Rod is a DL coach, no more.

I have to give Tucker a pass on this, because we haven't seen enough of his abilities as we are truly decimated by injuries, age and Jerry/Lovie drafting. We weren't playing all that great before the injuries hit, but would that have continued? Or would Tucker have gotten everything together in a couple games? As it is, the Tuckered-out Defense is all we have to go by.
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Lovie didn't know much about offense, but he sure had some solid defenses here in Chicago. It's what he knew, and knew well. In fact, it seemed like the defense was always his baby, and it really didn't matter who the DC was. It was always "Lovie's defense" more than anyone else. If only we had a decent offense during those years, we'd have had some solid teams. Makes you wonder what we could have had with the best of both worlds - a Trestman offense and a Lovie defense.
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01

Lovie: he would no longer have control of who's on the team, and therefore still no BU and no Izzy, no Roach. W/this staff he'd still be running the Lovie 2 and expect his front 4 to get pressure w/no help from anyone else. When he doesn't have the players, his D's were only slightly worse then the one the Bears have now, and even then his players were better then what they have now.
    Hot Rod: Dallas has a worse ranked D then we do, how well is he doing w/out BU and Izzy?
    Tucker: did he do much in Jax? Jax is awful, has he ever had talent around him? Not this year he doesn't, age, inj and lack of good young players is killing this D more then any DC could hope to make respectable, but could they at least be in the low 20's? I really don't know, most said he was brought in b/c of his knowledge of a wide variety of schemes, but nothing about what he has done or is doing screams new monsters of the midway.

At this point, it really doesn't matter b/c Lovie wasn't staying as DC, nor should he have. Hot Rod refused to stay b/c he's long time buddy buddy w/Lovie Lovie.

Could we have gotten a better DC then we did? I don't know, Ryan down south in NO is a 3-4 guy, no way we were doing that this year, and even so Tucker can run a 3-4 if/when the team wants him to. Who else was there? Regardless I want to reserve judgement of Tucker next year when we have a almost 100% new cast(tillman gone, peppers gone, shea backup, wootton back to de, conte/wrong backing up not starting etc, dj gone, anderson might be gone etc). And see what his system looks like, not him running Lovie's system.
  5. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros SuperFan

I voted Mel, simply for the fact that Lovie would be too much of a distraction at this point in time. Too many players were loyal to him, so if he were here, that would create some unnecessary tension and drama that could affect our team even worse.
  6. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears

Ron Rivera trust me I know what I'm doing Lovie's famous last words.
  7. Bear Claw

Bear Claw

8. short faced bear

short faced bear

It's a false choice listed but it's Rod and I'd rather have him just coaching the D-line.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. The Benjamin

The Benjamin Bear Down Staff Member

Ummmm Lovie's defenses were pretty damn good.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

Meh, I'll stick with Mel, and see what an uninjured and revamped defense looks like.
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Right now I need to hear those reassuring words "There's a lot of football left to play & we like our chances" .....and we'd just know that the sun would come up in the morning...

[​IMG]
  12. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost

NONE of the above. Marinelli was an overrated idiot, Lovie was a cowardly Cover-2 "Bend but don't break" disciple and Tucker appears to suck. Give me: Buddy Ryan, Rob Ryan, Rex Ryan, Gregg Williams, or any other coach with an unpredictable, exotic, balls to the wall, blitz until they bleed philosophy! ;)
    • Like Like x 2
  13. short faced bear

short faced bear

I love me some Buddy as much as the next guy but there's a time, place, and mentality for every situation. I can't see how a cover-2 is "cowardly" defense as it generates turnovers and forces the offense to have the fortitude, willpower, and endurance to march down the field. Tampa Bay rode a great cover-2 to a SB win. It's just one arrow in the quiver of an ever-evolving defensive philosophy.

The greatest advantages to the 46 was it enjoyed a great tactical advantage, it was complicated, exotic as few teams had to go up against it, and the rules for hitting inspired fear and intimidation. Much of that (as much as I'd love to see it) cannot be done today to the extent that it was in the early 80's.
  14. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost

short faced bear, I like you because you're a good guy AND BECAUSE I like Frankenberry and Boo Berry, but child please...The Cover-2 is COWARDLY because it is based upon this fundamental principle: "Give up small chunks of yardage, make the opposing team make take as much time and run as many plays as possible to get down the field in the hope they the opposing QB eventually grows impatient and screws up." It is an inherently passive philosophy which relies upon the opposing offense to "eventually" screw up. Well, golly gee, isn't that great?! ONLY problem is: ELITE QBS (you know, the types of guys you NEED TO BEAT TO WIN A SUPER BOWL), guys like Brees, Brady, Rodgers, Manning, etc. are MORE THAN HAPPY to patiently dink and dunk the ball down the field on 12+ play TD drives. The Cover-2 is an ineffective, inherently passive/reactive defense. I favour aggression. I favour TAKING THE FIGHT to the offense and FORCING THEM TO MAKE A MISTAKE, rather than "hoping they eventually grow impatient and make a mistake." I would rather give up a 99 yard TD than a 12 play 99 yard drive any day. The cover-2 is a coward's defense.
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  15. short faced bear

short faced bear

Sure, I can agree with a lot of that. However, most qb's faced in the season are not elite. I liked the article you posted on the 46 where the QB's indecisiveness is used against him as a weapon. If rules didn't evolve I'd be the staunchest proponent of keeping a "kill 'em all" mentality. But with the rules as they are which is slanted to the offense the playing table is slanted away from over aggression (at least in the passing game).

I'm all about forcing a mistake but that mistake has to be a dilemma not just one problem to solve but every time the QB solves one thing he brings up another problem/dilemma.

I'm not a huge fan of the cover-2 but when you have a Tommie Harris, Mike Brown, BU, Peanut, and Briggs forcing turnovers it at least has a place somewhere in the arsenal of philosophy.

Defensive philosophies should evolve- no set mentality should be set in stone because once it is fixed it can be beaten. I'll take a DC that can throw a fastball one day (the 46) then a slider (other defense) the next. Staying ahead in the count and keeping the opponent on his toes.
  16. JPosh2012

JPosh2012

I'd take Tucker. But Tucker's big problem this year is that he has ZERO talent.
  17. MPbears68

MPbears68

Tucker's main problem is that...he is Tucker.

He did nothing with the substantial talent he had even before the injury situation became serious or unusually heavy. He sucks hard, no different than Martz and Tice sucked. They had injury and talent issues too.
  18. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman

I have to give it to Tucker because he is putting up a DEFENSE with one hand tied to his balls with the injurys.

If I was Tucker I would get the strength and conditioning coach in a corner at HALAS HALL and beat the shit out of him.