POLL: Would you like to see the Bears trade down for extra draft picks?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Apr 13, 2014.

?

Would like to see the Bears trade down for extra draft picks?

1. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +192 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    357ß
    Somthings going to be left on the board at #14 that we need.

Seems like alot of us.
  2. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +305 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    55ß
    Hey, so ... Can I get this week's powerball numbers?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,516ß
    And me next weeks. I'll cut you in jackie.
  4. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,516ß
    This year he's probably right though. Looking over the top of the big board I can't see where at least 3 of 5 guys who should be high on Emery's board won't be there and maybe all five. Now whether or not Emery feels they're worth that pick I don't know but with as little info as we can gather at this level the odds are pretty good he'll get one of the guys he'd be happy with.
  5. lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +305 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    55ß
    I don't know that either Dix or Donald make it past 12 and though Pryor has grown on me, I don't know that I like him significantly more than Brooks, Ward or Bucannon. Dennard and Fuller don't really appeal to me. I can appreciate the idea of value for non-insiders being a pointless argument, but there is indeed value for a franchise in moving down into a better area for their targets should their board get decimated in front of their original pick.
  6. matsellah

matsellah Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,265 / 7 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Here's what they should do: Call JA and ask his advice. Then do the exact opposite.

Except in the 3rd round.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,210 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    250ß
    That's a great way to put it. IMO, if Dix or Donald is there just take him. Maybe Pryor or Gilbert (who I doubt will be there) are in the same boat. Maybe, if Phil values them highly.

Beyond that, I'd consider a trade down if the offer is reasonable. Dennard has some issues and he wouldn't be an immediate starter anyway. Fuller ditto and the idea of playing him at safety seems crazy to me. Mosley doesn't seem like a great fit. Same with Nix. Jernigan...prob not worth it at 14.

Yeah I'm still stubbornly stuck on Donald or Dix at 14. If both are gone, a trade down scenario starts looking a whole lot more appealing.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,516ß
    I'm relatively sure Dix won't be there but if Donald last beyond the Giants I think he will so it's 50/50 and it won't get much better than that until after they make their pick. I suppose there's also a chance someone would trade down to get at him too but I'm not gonna factor that in because there's way to many possibilities when trades begin. No matter though because it's still 50/50 on Donald.

Now it depends on how Emery sees Jernigan, Pryor, Dennard, and Fuller at #14 as opposed to what, if any offers he might get. Arguably they all probably rank as top 20 picks but maybe not as high #14. But my point was more that there are players who will be there whom he probably has an interest in. That was my basis for declining a trade unless the offer was very right and it put me square over the top of the next guy on my board.

I'm not saying there's no value in it ever but I set the conditions under which it made the most sense. What you're saying dovetails with that. If I can't possibly get the impact player I want and I get an good offer that still leaves me able to get the next guy sure I would look at that and so would most any GM. I'm just offering an amateurs opinion but with whatever common sense I add to it. I would have to need many players badly before I'd leave an impact player on the board I could have had.
  9. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,516ß
    I'm thinking the Al Davis method is pretty fool proof. PK in one, Punter in two, fastest WR in the daft in three and then turn it over to the scouts for the rest while he took nap.
  10. lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +305 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    55ß
    Don't like Jernigan and though Fuller and Dennard are mighty fine CB prospects, I'm too into the depth of the position (especially Verrett and Watkins) to spend a first rounder on a guy who plays NB in perfect world this season while holes remain at S and DT. I don't mind a CB looking at Peanut's age and injury history combined with the uber overrated TJ, but it better be someone our staff is absolutely sold on.
  11. lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +305 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    55ß
    Speaking of punter, I'd consider a late pick spent on Van Der Kampfer a wise one. It's been too long since we had a P who can win the field position battles with any sort of regularity and Kirby is a total stud.
  12. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,358 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    749ß
    This is where it's good to have the upgraded scouting department and Emery in place now. A lot of the 1st round picks every year are to players who end up a disappointment. They're touted as the studs by the talking heads and we all salivate like Pavlov's dog thinking they're going to be great. On the flip side of the coin, guys like Belichick find gems on a regular basis in other rounds. So, if we do have high-powered talent evaluators now, then I'm comfortable if they believe the greater value to our team is to trade down. They may see a guy who is as good as the "name guys" we're all getting enamored with - that can be had later in the draft, while adding another high-tier talent with the additional draft pick. As some have pointed out, Emery may have these guys graded differently than Mel "Almighty" Kiper and the boys.

I do wonder about three things though:
    #1 is that we may not get the opportunity to trade down. So this may all be conjecture anyway.
    #2 is that maybe Emery does see a guy at #14 who would be better value to the team than the extra guy he'd get in a trade-down. But if he would trade down, I'm fine trusting him with that move.
    #3 maybe Emery is comfortable with building a bit more with the Belichick method of delayed gratification. In other words maybe he'd grab two eventual solid starters, while passing on the guy who is a polished starter day-1, because he feels the team ultimately is stronger this way.

I don't know, but these are things I wonder about :-)
  13. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,540 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    731ß
    I love Belichick,but while they contend every year, it's not like they have been knocking it out of the park with the extra picks. I think they rely on getting decent players and coaching them up. It seems to have worked better for them in the past than it has recently.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Seqq34

Seqq34 Veteran

Ratings:
    +62 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    I said yes, mainly due to the current managements scouting skills..i still remember the AJ is fat and worthless threads, but Emery went and got that mother F'cker anyway....like many said, if they can get a legit trade and Emery has his ducks in a row with a plan in mind behind the trade, then why not....
    I might be alone on this thought, but the current roster is good to go...they could add ZERO draft picks or other FA's and still make the playoffs...IMO the draft as it stands now is just filler/future. And yeah i know i'm in the minority lmao but i don't expect a SB from this team next year either...
  15. rich1978

rich1978 Veteran

Ratings:
    +182 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    95ß
    If donald and haha have gone, yes. otherwise no
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,516ß
    I'm not all that high on Jernigan either as a 3 tech and if Paea returns to form and improves we already have a Jernigan type in him. Which is all the more reason Donald is the fit there. So if he's gone, and so is Dix, and you're down to Pryor, Dennard, and Fuller who do you take assuming you can't get fair value to trade down?

Do you draft for immediate need and take Pryor? Or do you take a CB who'll sit for a year and maybe play some STeams? I'm hoping for a better shake but it could come down to that.
  17. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,516ß
    I do too which is one reason why I posted that article by Jack Bechta. I was as caught up in all the counter hype about Jeffery as anyone and all the while that was happening he was slowly getting himself back in shape both in his body and his attitude. We always knew the guy could catch the big question was would he ever get open enough to be thrown to. Well he's proven that whether he's covered or not he can still catch a football better than just about anyone I've ever seen.

So a lot of the more recent chatter and noise is just that. Teams are far more set now than the talking heads and gurus would ever like us to believe but admitting that shuts off their water far too soon so they'll keep spreading rumors and pushing out new mocks all the way up until draft day changing them just enough to sell one more version before they have to put their Ouija boards away for another year.

What the Bears need is simple. A true DT (not a two gap NT), a Safety who can cover, a young CB. Somewhere they need to covers at least two if not all three of those bases and then still look for some depth at RB and possibly pickup a QB. That's what many of us believe the plan will be now we have to wait to see what it really is.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +305 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    55ß
    There's an awful lot of quality talent that could be there at 14 that fits some teams need who has the want and means move up.
  19. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,516ß
    Possibly but that doesn't answer my question. If you can assume Donald won't be there I can assume we can't trade out of that slot. So choose your poison. Will it be Arsenic Pryor, Cyanide Dennard, or Strychnine Fuller? :rofl2: I'm just curious what you would do with those limitations and why.
  20. lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +305 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    55ß
    Trade back, draft Tuitt and grab your DBs with the next two picks. Hahahahahaha

Seriously, though, I do REALLY like Tuitt in spite of the foot surgery, and I would draft him in a trade down scenario because of the relative depth of DT to DB - but it would be Pryor.
    • Like Like x 1