POLL: Would you like to see the Bears trade down for extra draft picks?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Apr 13, 2014.

?

Would like to see the Bears trade down for extra draft picks?

1. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +997 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    He was doing really well on the presentation until he got to the "making them payoff part".
    "I got nothing" went through his mind. He may have to change topics to "Garbage Picks; How to sift through the good ones and get the garbage"
  2. dabears70

dabears70 Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I'm all for trading down and collecting more picks as long as we get at least two day one starters which one obviously needs to be a safety preferably free safety, then i'm cool with it.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,389 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    519ß
    Tice must have loaned him his.
  4. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +260 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    No, I want us to trade up AND get some extra picks, I would be fine with 3 extra. That's what I call a job well done. Phil can do it.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,389 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    519ß
    Going back to the roots of this trading up or trading down strategy I think the first things any team has to consider is where they're drafting and what players are there who may meet an immediate need or are just too much value to ignore. I can only repeat what I said before (annoying SOB that I am). It's foolish to pass up elite players, especially one you can use, for a mess of second tier talent who may not start or even struggle to even make your team. Bottom feeders do that often which is why they stay bottom feeders.

In the case of Belichick I think we can see that he's usually trading a very late first round pick to someone who wants to jump in for that QB or OL or LB they wouldn't take in the top ten where they had their first pick. Smart GMs would probably see that they have players on their boards rated to go in the second of third rounds that are little different then those left late in one. So in this case the trade makes sense. You still get good core players with those extra picks.

What doesn't make sense is passing over top tier talent earlier in the first round for late picks who may not even make your team and end up being released. MP used a term I think is perfect for this. You're allowing other teams to "draft on your dime". I think that's exactly what SF is facing this year. There's no way even half of those ten picks they have will make their final roster. They just don't have that many slots open.

Now, if you can use later picks to leverage yourself up in rounds two and three for the best of that second tier group then I think you have an effective plan but not so effective that it should allow you to pass on a player who may be a star for you very soon. That's false economics where quantity won't outstrip quality. You may have to settle for lesser prospects in the mid rounds but this is where good coaching makes the difference.

Take the players who best fit your schemes if you want to win games. Leave the reaches and high risk picks for the teams hoping to hit a homer to please their fans but still end up on the bottom of the heap every year.
  6. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,435 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    198ß
    Anyone remember what NE did to build their dynasty? constantly trade down or trade away talent to get more picks, and then be smart enough to take guys that fit into a specific role that they needed them to. If the bears can emulate that I'm down for it. Trade down early and often if it means getting tons O talent that fill needs big and small.
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,815 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    74ß
    I agree. It's not an "absolute" thing where it automatically helps a team. Not at all. I think it ONLY helps a team with stellar talent evaluation. It's not a "Jerry Angelo" thing. And I totally agree that in the case of the New England Patriots, they understand how to fit the pieces together to build something solid. Even in off-years they are not a horrible team. They lost their 4-time Pro Bowl QB, and reload with a 6th round draft pick QB and win a Super Bowl that year. When Brady retires they'll just reload with another guy and keep rolling.

If the Bears truly have the people in place now to judge talent well, then in a trade-down situation they may see an overall talent benefit to the team that is greater than their original 1st round pick. I'm not talking about getting extra garbage picks, but rather an extra guy in the "sweet spot" of the draft that can be a day-1 starter, and have a greater impact in benefiting the team. And I know you understand that I'm not saying this is necessarily valid THIS year. But some year's it can make sense. And maybe this is a year where it could be of greater benefit to trade down a few picks to get an additional (high round) pick by doing so.
  8. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,435 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    198ß
    Ya 5-7th rounders don't normally help, or will take time to develop, but extra 2-4th round guys can contribute, look at Mills Jeffery and Forte. If Bostic and Greene can step up this year just more proof.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,389 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    519ß
    This where that trade strategy with Cleveland may come into play in the event that neither Dix or Donald are still on the board. It's all just a hypothetical but even from that standpoint it can make some sense for the Bears. They give up #14 and a player they don't favor as much but still pick in round one (#26) and in the top five in round two (#35) AND have their normal second (#51). Whether the rest is third in 2015 or another fourth or fourth and fifth in 2014 is just more frosting on the cake.

We lose a shot at a top of the pile guy who isn't there anyway but pick up three good core players who can start or challenge to start. The reason I favor getting more picks this year is to leverage them up for a higher pick in round three so we end up with four of the top 75 guys and still have a handful of picks left to fill in depth. IF our top guys are gone and a team in the early to mid 20s want to jump into our spot then maybe we should look at the offer if it's good enough to get us those core players.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,435 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    198ß
    no wonder the winter has been so bad Soul and I agree on multiple things, hells freezing and fast.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,815 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    74ß
    This will sound like blasphemy to some, but I believe that when all is said and done, it doesn't matter as much WHERE the picks are - but rather WHO is doing the picking. It's all about scouting, sound talent evaluation & understanding how the player player fits into the big picture of building a championship team.

If Phil Emery truly is solid now that he's upgraded the scouting department (and kind of got his feet under him after that whirlwind first year as our GM), then our future look mighty good. It really doesn't matter where we draft or if we trade down, up or stand pat. It's all about being gifted as a GM in acquiring talent. It also helps that Cliff Stein is a financial whizz, and it sounds like this latest McCaskey (George) is a step up over the past ones too.
    • Like Like x 1