Pompei Thinks we may go for Mosley

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, Mar 30, 2014.

1. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +829 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    879ß
  2. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,205 / 3 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    577ß
    Honestly, I could definitely live with the Bears drafting most of the players we've been "linked" to thusfar.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +483 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    In all honesty, I wouldn't like the Bears taking Mosley. Too many questions on weather he is a Mike or WIll and if we are going to try to groom a Mike who is better suited to play Will we have Bostic. If they did take Mosley they better be DAMN sure that he is a true Mike and his health checks out. Too many ifs for me IMO.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,895 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,222ß
    I've wondered if they might go with him also. LB is a problem for sure despite the hoards of LBs we have. If Emery does not see an immediate need for DT, then I think it has to be between S, LB and CB. I don't see CB as a need for an immediate starter (1st rounder), but rather a need for some good backup. But that's me and I don't count. If it were me, I'd pick between S and LB if I had to choose between those two. I go back and forth. But I really still hope it is a stud DT.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,332 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,506ß
    Again all the guys avaiable 10-20 are good to great, but not elite players so any D player grabbed at a need position is a good pick, regardless of what fans think, that's what's great about being at 14 in this draft, the players are all really solid, but nothing that is MUST HAVE talent, unless one of the top 8 drop, and then you can either drop back in the draft if it's not a need position(great choice this year), or you can grab one of the few "elite" players if they are in a need position.
  6. Bear_40

Bear_40 Veteran

Ratings:
    +36 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    43ß
    I'd grab him in a heartbeat if he's there.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. dabears70

dabears70 Veteran

Ratings:
    +61 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    73ß
    I'd rather grab Borland in the 2nd or Skov
    • Like Like x 1
  8. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    I don't think Dix will slide to #14 and I'm still somewhat opposed to Fuller because I think we'd be better off looking at CB in round two or three with maybe a guy who could also play FS if it came down to it. That way we'd be focusing on a bigger player but it doesn't necessarily rule Ward out completely either since he has the versatility to become a NB.

So if it's Donald vs Mosley well that's a tough one. He may or may not be the best fit as a MLB but there's probably a lot of a D. J. Williams in him when D.J. was first drafted by Denver. As I recall one of the things that attracted the Broncos to him was his positional versatility and it's been used over the years. He played a lot of SLB and MLB here until Von Miller came along and then injuries cost him some time as well.

DWill seems to be a good fit for this defense based on what little we saw of him this past year and they did ask him back. Since I never want to see Bostic in the MLB spot again and I prefer McClellin as a starter at SLB with Bostic learning WLB behind Briggs we certainly could use another MLB especially with DWill's injury history.

We don't have so much invested in him either that if Mosley picked up the defense fast enough that he couldn't replace him if he has the goods to do it. I still have expectations for Bostic just not at MLB and so far I think Greene may be a washout. So with DWill pretty much at the end of his career no one could call this a bad pick. Here's his scouting report.

C.J. MOSLEY ILB, Alabama
    • 2014 Grade: A 6.9 HT: 6'2" WT: 232

C.J. Mosley – Linebacker

Mosley lines up as an inside linebacker in Alabama’s base 3-4. He is a 4th year senior and while he wasn’t listed as a full time starter his first two years, he got significant playing time and was among the Tides leading tacklers both years. At about 6’2 – 240 with long arms, Mosley has all the tools to be a top NFL linebacker. He possesses very good overall athleticism with speed, flexibility, change of direction and body control. To go along with his size he has very good play strength.

Mosley is alert and instinctive. He is a quick reactor who is consistently around the ball. He is proficient defending the run, in pass coverage, and rushing the passer. He shows his strength and power at the point by shedding quickly and is an explosive, aggressive tackler. He has the speed and range to stop both the inside and outside run and moves easily through trash. Many linebackers are used strictly in zone coverage, but that is not the case with Mosley. He is often put in man situations versus running backs and tight ends and does an excellent job. He can drop, pedal, and turn as well as any linebacker in football. He can react to the ball in the air and has good hands. While not used much as a pass rusher, he is effective when used. He knows how to use his speed and has the hand use to get rid of blocks.
    The beauty of a player like Mosley is that he can play in any scheme. He is a fit to play inside in a 3-4, and he has the traits and athleticism to play any of the three linebacker positions in a 4-3. When Oakland drafted Rolando McClain in the first round a few years ago, they thought they were getting a tough smash mouth inside player. It turned out he was more of a finesse player. Mosley, on the other hand, might not have McClain’s size but he is a much more physical player. He should easily be a first round pick.

I'll say this much though. It sure looks to me like Emery is calling in all of his media sources to spread a little into that may disguise his true intentions. A week or so ago it was all Donald or Jernigan with a few guesses about one or two other but ever since Allen came on board the guesses have been all over the place and that's what Emery wants. Bothe Greg Gabriel, whose latest mock change Donald to Fuller and Dan Pompei who put Mosley in play have close ties to the Bears. Gabe was the Bears former director of college scouting and Pompei is a Trib reporter who along with guys like Biggs and Haugh from the Trib and "Moon" Mullin of CSN seem to have the closets ties with the Bears, the best insights, and the best access to information.

EDIT: There's a couple of more things that might be worth adding. There's an outside chance that if McClellin doesn't win the starters job at SLB between him and Bostic, they may decide to move him to MLB behind DWill and groom him there for a year. He is in almost every way the closets LB to Urlacher physically and just as smart and intense and you just know they won't ever cut him until they've exhausted all possibilities. Then they can let Mosley learn WLB if that's where he fits best. If this defense remains largely the same that WLB is an extremely important position and needs a great tackler since he's the guy scooping up a lot of the run plays.

One other reason is that some him sliding all the way into the 20's and GB taking him and I would hate to see those SOB pick up another dominating LB to haunt us with.
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,715 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,243ß
    Exactly. Seriously, there's no guarantee this guy will even be in the NFL in a few years, unless he shows us he can play at the NFL level. We are "hopeful" we can find a place for him where he can shine. But I could see this guy pulling weeds or running a weed wacker at Halas Hall sooner rather than later.
  10. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,332 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,506ß
    Well now I know I'm wrong, Soul and I agree on Mosely; hmmmm maybe Ealy?
    • Like Like x 1
  11. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß

Emery see just the opposite but then he always did didn't he. ;)
  12. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,715 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,243ß
    I keep telling myself the must see something good in Shea, and obviously, as a fan, I'm not "in the know" at all. I hope they're right. I just don't want to see another 1st round bust. Especially since we need help at LB (quality help).
  13. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,542 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    545ß
    You're all wrong.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,895 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,222ß
    I was wrong first
    • Like Like x 1
  15. JoeBlow

JoeBlow Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Urlacher was a safely in college. To equate Shea having a shot at moving from the line to linebacker AS A PRO(!) is not even close to the same thing.
    Learning to be a backer, as a pro, when you don't have any elite skills?
    Dream on............
  16. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,332 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,506ß
    Joe, Shea was a 3-4 OLB in college, AND played some DE, in the draft most teams that were looking at picking Shea was at a 3-4 OLB position, not DE, DEFINATELY not 4-3 DE. So there is a solid chance that Shea will stick at SAM, I'm not sold on it, this holds at least a snow balls chance in hell unlike him playing DE.

Soul, what ever happened to that, you told EVERYONE how great Shea was going to be at DE, and how HE WAS A 4-3 DE, NOT AN OLB! man you gots good jokes....:lol-032:
    • Like Like x 1
  17. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +747 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    First of all, I would be very happy with Mosley if that is the selection. There are many ways to make our Defense better, and he's one of those "ways"; so is Donald, so is Clinton Dix, and so on.

Now, on to the next point. I think I'm the only one that see's Shea "breaking out" as a Linebacker. Now, that being said, I'm wrong a lot. :smilebig:

The problem is, he should have never been placed as a "hand on the ground" DE in the NFL. He did some of that in college, but only because "IT WAS COLLEGE", and he could easily get away with it against the competition he played against. This dude is a linebacker in the NFL, and they already wasted too much time trying to make him fit in a role that he isn't. Yea, Urlacher was a Safety in college, but lets keep in mind that Shea and Urlacher are "Very" similar in size and "very" similar in measured athleticism (see combine results for both). Could you envision how well Urlacher would have done at DE? I think he would have had very similar results to what Shea has experienced. So, he'll finally get his shot at the position he "SHOULD" have been playing all along, and it really would not surprise me a bit if he ends up in the middle. It's not like he's never played the position before; he was an LB in college MOST of the time.
  18. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,542 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    545ß
    BTW, what I meant by "you're all wrong" is that no matter what, Emery is gonna shock us all.
    • Like Like x 3
  19. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,332 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,506ß
    Henry no doubt about that.
  20. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,376 / 2 / -0