Post Draft Power Rankings, your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by beardownzona, May 13, 2014.

1. beardownzona

beardownzona Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
  2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,061 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    322ß
    They sure think the Packers nailed this draft.

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,657 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    562ß
    one pick doesn't nail a draft; was a steal for Dix though, even if you only think he's going to be an okay S and not elite, at 21 I'd take it in a heartebeat, the guy is at least going to be a solid starting S for them for years to come, and when you know the O is putting 25+ points on the board and you'll likely be protecting the lead, isn't that all you need?
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,061 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    322ß
    Their top-6 were no surprise.

Seahawks
    Broncos
    49ers
    Patriots
    Saints
    Packers

These are the elite franchises in the NFL right now. I'm still sick over the fact we couldn't unseat the Packers in a rare year where they were relatively weak with Aaron Rodgers injured. We will not get any respect until we actually begin winning championships again in Chicago. That 1985 Lombardi was a long time ago.
  5. Seqq34

Seqq34 Rookie

Ratings:
    +50 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    These rankings are like mock drafts LoL

Bears are going to be a top franchise moving forward and this year will be the start!

BEAR DOWN!
  6. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +196 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    The rankings are completely bogus.

ESPN: We should be ranked 7th. We're better than the Panthers. Bengals, Eagles, Cardinals, and Colts.

NFL: We should be ranked 7th here too. We're clearly better than the Chargers, Bengals, Panthers, Cardinals, Eagles, Chiefs, and Colts.

I guess we're going to have to go out on the field and prove 'em all wrong.

As a sidenote. post draft we went from 28-1 to 20-1 in the Vegas Superbowl odds. That's the biggest jump by any team. It puts us in 6th place behind only the Seahawks, Broncos, Patriots, 49ers, and Packers. 20-1 odds also ties us with the Saints and Colts. Not bad at all.
  7. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,657 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    562ß
    BiM, hate to disagree, but until further notice, all those teams were in the Playoffs last year, other then the Cards, that means those teams have a leg up on the Bears going into the season. I think the Bears have a shot as being as good if not better then them, but until they prove it, it's understandable that people would those teams ahead of them.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,674 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,138ß
    Power Rankings are just something media types do to keep from jacking off too much and going blind. :wank:
  9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,061 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    322ß
    I feel the same way. I feel like we could prove we "belong" this year with the big boys. But until we actually win something, and unseat Green Bay, then it's just another season of the fans thinking big thoughts. Heck, many fans thought we were going to the Super Bowl when we brought Cutty here, and again when we hired Trestman. Instead we're an 8-8 team. We went from a 10 win team to an 8 win team. Now we (on this messageboard) understand what's going on, and are hopeful for better days. But the sports media just understand one thing, that the Bears are a mediocre team that looks up at the Packers backside in the NFCN each year. Talk is cheap until you back up the talk.
  10. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,657 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    562ß
    what really sucks about GB is that w/how strong the NFCW and S are it's going to be REALLY hard to get that WC spot, unless they take turns picking eachother apart and all finish 8-8 or 9-7, which I'd be fine with mind you. I still think Det, until further notice will Det themselves like Dallas always does, and Minny is still rebuilding...when haven't they been? So the Bears and GB are the 2 fav's right now, and again, until further notice GB has to be the favorite.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +864 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    375ß
    These are just a stupid show of love for teams.

They mean nothing, and aren't valid. How many teams ahead of us on either ranking DON'T make the playoffs this year?
  12. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,061 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    322ß
    I guess on a positive note, I'd rather take out GB when they are strong & with a healthy Rodgers. Last year, with Rodgers injured and a ton of other GB injuries, they were like an animal that just needed to be put out of their misery. Yet we couldn't step on their throat, even when they were having an epic bad year. Now, if we can beat them this year, it sure would be sweet. But again, talk is cheap, we have to actually show them that we are the better team by winning the division. It's like with the Cubs too. Every year I am hopeful, yet we end up short. At some point you actually have to win something. That's why the sports media guys don't respect the Cubs or Bears. Hopefully with Trestman and Emery here we can turn the ship around.
  13. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,398 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    310ß
    Yeah, but the Panthers apparently liked Angelo's minimalist approach to keeping talent at WR, so they decided just one was good for them.
  14. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,227 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    284ß
    Ha-Ha was always highly by the draft guys. So when a guy they had all picked in the top 10 gets picked at 21, then they say you had a great draft. Everyone included the mock drafters always look at things through their own eyes. That is normal since our own eyes are the only eyes we have to see with.

Doesn't mean they are right. Doesn't mean they are wrong. Just how they see it. Not much of a surprise. GB did well. We might have done much better. We'll see.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,674 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,138ß
    Pretty typical of the media types they all need to have buzz words like "reach" and "steal" to quantify their own ratings and rankings. My thinking is more in concert with a guy like Greg Gabriel who ran the college scouting for the Bears and who apparently thinks more like Emery. Long before Mel Kiper took his shot at who the Bears would take Gabriel called the Fuller pick saying Donald wouldn't last until #14. He was too good.

Gabriel also said he believed there's no such thing as a "steal" or a "reach". There's just too much info available to all teams these days for anyone to be taken on pre-draft hype or to be overlooked by 32 teams. These days teams look to draft players who fit their schemes and can contribute immediately. It's only a "reach" if you're drafting a kid on the potential of being able to fit him into your schemes and few teams will take that chance any longer. BPA picks are only BPA based on need not their just their metrics or college stats.

I agree with him that you really don't see many "steals" either. Players drop for a reason. Some of those reasons are good and some aren't but there are factors that cause teams to take certain players off their board entirely and those guys usually drop farther than expected until some team is willing to over look whatever issues dropped the guy and take a chance because he's a fit. He's not a "steal" because every other team knows why he's still on the board and if you take him you're taking a "risk" which only turns into a "steal" if you're correct about him.

So that "risk" you took may become a "steal" of he pans out but there's no way just a few days after the draft anyone could know that despite the gurus crowing about it like it was pure truth. Also, when was the last time any of us heard a "guru" who called a kid a "reach" come back and admit he had it all wrong after the kid makes a Pro Bowl in his first few years? Power Rankings and Draft Grading is nonsense. It fills the requirement to produce something for the fans to read and discuss and that's it. Three years after a draft you might be able to grade it accurately but those guy aren't paid to do that so it seldom happens if ever.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. beardownzona

beardownzona Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:

Although we were an 8-8 team (barring injuries), we still had the #2 scoring offense in the league behind Denver, under Trestman's 1st year. Emery revamped our offense last offseason and our offense went from shit to #2 in a season. This offseason, Emery has brought back all the veterans, kept the offensive unit together, and revamped our atrocious defense to a younger and hungrier unit. Optimistically, I believe our offense will be even better than it was last season and our defense will go from 30th rank to 15th rank, hopefully that is we don't get struck by the injury bug again. With that being said, Mel Sucker no longer has any excuses.

Realistically I truly believe we should be ranked #7 in the power rankings behind:
    1. Seattle
    2. 49ers
    3. Broncos
    4. Patriots
    5. Saints
    6. Peckers
    7. DA BEARS
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +350 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    31ß
    Don't care about Power Rankings, cool to get love.. if not then whatever. I'm worried about draft slot next year. The real power rankings are the standings and right now everyone is 0-0. Offense has only had one year together so there's huge upside and potential there. Defense, on paper, looks vastly improved and ready to be in the upper half of the league (15 or higher). With an offense like that we don't need a Top 5 D.. but if the D feels like being Top 5 you'll hear no complaints from me. I'm ready to get after that NFC North title on the way to a deep playoff run barring injuries.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. BelieveInMonsters

Ratings:
    +196 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    These power rankings are about right now not last year. The Eagles lost their best receiver and still have no defense. The Chiefs lost a significant amount of players in free agency. The Panthers have no receiving corps and lost significant pieces of their offensive line. The Bengals lost significant pieces of their team as well.

As for the Cardinals and chargers, they always find a way to screw up a good thing. Especially Arizona. I'm not impressed with a team that has Jordan Palmer's big brother at QB.

As of right now, the Bears are better than all of those teams on paper. Vegas seems to think so too. And they have a pretty good track record in Nevada.
  19. BelieveInMonsters

Ratings:
    +196 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    There's a completely different buzz surrounding the beloved Bears in 2014. Fans and the local Chicago media can sense that Emery an his staff is building something special this year.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,033 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    64ß
    These "power rankings" are a complete waste of time other than as fodder for passing the offseason. They're meaningless and have very little predictive value. Think of them as basically just a popularity contest and of course teams that did well last year are up top, no surprise. The Bears aren't going to get any respect until they prove it on the field and missing the playoffs every year except one since 2007 doesn't tend to win you much "power ranking popularity".

Every season there are teams that surprise to the upside and teams that disappoint. Sometimes dramatically so in both directions. Who thought a year ago that Houston and Atlanta would be so bad? Who thought teams like San Diego and Philadelphia would make the playoffs?

I'm sure Seattle is an early favorite to win the whole shebang again. After all, they're a young team coming off a dominating season & SB win with a roster and coaching staff coming back largely intact. Call me crazy, but I doubt it. It's very very hard to repeat in the NFL cuz everyone's studying what you did well and gunning for how to take you down. I believe a repeat SB win has only been done twice in the 20+ years since the modern FA era began.
    • Like Like x 1